Secondary Questions

Pressure on the quarterback comes from the front four AND better coverage in the secondary. If the DB's can cover, then the D-Line gets time to get to the QB (aka a coverage sack), this also works on the flip side, if the DL gets pressure on the QB, the DB's don't have to cover as long. I realize this is very simple way to put it, but a defense needs strong play from all 11 guys to be dominant.

For some reason, Bo and the other coaches seem very confident on what they can do defensively this season because of the team's experience and knowledge of the system. I expect the defense to take multiple steps forward this season, hopefully, the difference will be like night and day from 2011.

I think blitzing is overrated. It's best if we can get the rush from the 4-man front. Of course, this isn't always possible and blitzes can be effective. However, I would think in my limited knowledge that blitzes work best against pocket-passing statues. The ones Bo has figured out already. Sending a blitzing 'backer or DB on a real mobile QB is asking to get burned. Blitzes are going to be even easier to evade than an open-field tackler for those guys, because the blitzer is charging.

And once evaded, if there's no run lane open, we're short a man in coverage. Coverage can only really work for a certain amount of time. Taking a man away from coverage, and going against a QB who can evade him 1-on-1 and extend plays from the pocket, seems like a low-percentage, high-risk strategy.

Go look at what opposing defenses did to Denard Robinson last year, and how they slowed him down. Same for Braxton Miller. Both of whom torched us.

Blitzes are not overrated. Used correctly they are very effective. They cannot be used in all situations, but Bo uses them in nearly no situation, and that's wrong.

I definitely agree with your statement. I think Bo may not have as much faith in his LB's to execute blitzes effectively or he maybe he doesn't think we have the speed at LB? Carl did blitz Lavonte from time to time. If you have slow LB's, have fun tracking down a mobile QB and it will only hurt your defense and leave your DB's to possibly get blocked in coverage, opening up potential huge gains. If he's not going to blitz, at least let the d-line go after him instead of playing "containment" or the 2-gap system. I hope Pelini blitzes more this year or we are going to see the blackshirts get torched by yet another mobile QB.

Pressure on the quarterback comes from the front four AND better coverage in the secondary. If the DB's can cover, then the D-Line gets time to get to the QB (aka a coverage sack), this also works on the flip side, if the DL gets pressure on the QB, the DB's don't have to cover as long. I realize this is very simple way to put it, but a defense needs strong play from all 11 guys to be dominant.

For some reason, Bo and the other coaches seem very confident on what they can do defensively this season because of the team's experience and knowledge of the system. I expect the defense to take multiple steps forward this season, hopefully, the difference will be like night and day from 2011.

I hope you are right. I do like the potential of Rome, the young guy is a beast. In 2010, the team did a solid job creating coverage sacks considering our DB's were amazingly good.

Honestly....with Bo overseeing defensive coaching duties and making play calls, I expect the defense to better this year. We'll see.....

Do you also think that Bo's genius and Coach K coaching up the D line that we're going to be much better than last year? My hope is that we will see not only a solid line but a consistent solid line. Last year we would see glimmers of brilliance but it was so inconsistent. I long for those days when the other teams would cringe in having to play the Nebraska Blackshirts! GBR!!

Honestly....with Bo overseeing defensive coaching duties and making play calls, I expect the defense to better this year. We'll see.....

Do you also think that Bo's genius and Coach K coaching up the D line that we're going to be much better than last year? My hope is that we will see not only a solid line but a consistent solid line. Last year we would see glimmers of brilliance but it was so inconsistent. I long for those days when the other teams would cringe in having to play the Nebraska Blackshirts! GBR!!

I don't think light-years better, but I expect more consistency with execution.

If Rick Kaczenski can coach up our D Line to where he had Iowa's the last couple of years, that'll take tons of pressure off our secondary and LBs.

I want to see some blitzing, though. I can't believe that the offenses we're seeing in the Big Ten are so scary that we can't put some pressure on the QB. My concern is that Bo's bend-but-don't-break defense takes away the predatory edge that I believe a defense needs. They don't get their Blackshirts for weeks into the season because they haven't earned them, according to Bo. But if Bo doesn't put them in a position to shut teams down, how can they be at fault? I don't get it. And I don't like it.

Yep. Absolutely 100%. We may disagree on a lot of things, but this comment here get's a plus 1 from me. I think we have some stars just waiting to break out of their cages if only Bo would open the damn gates!

If Rick Kaczenski can coach up our D Line to where he had Iowa's the last couple of years, that'll take tons of pressure off our secondary and LBs.

I want to see some blitzing, though. I can't believe that the offenses we're seeing in the Big Ten are so scary that we can't put some pressure on the QB. My concern is that Bo's bend-but-don't-break defense takes away the predatory edge that I believe a defense needs. They don't get their Blackshirts for weeks into the season because they haven't earned them, according to Bo. But if Bo doesn't put them in a position to shut teams down, how can they be at fault? I don't get it. And I don't like it.

Yep. Absolutely 100%. We may disagree on a lot of things, but this comment here get's a plus 1 from me. I think we have some stars just waiting to break out of their cages if only Bo would open the damn gates!

The only thing I'll disagree with, is that coach Kaz has very little to do with this defensive lines production. If you've read the comments recently from both Kaz and Joseph, it's very clear who is running the show. They are changing their coaching styles to fit Bo's scheme. Although Kaz tries to say what he was doing at Iowa was very similar to what Bo likes to do with his front four. If that's the case, then I already hate what Bo does with his front four, and we should expect to see nothing more than "patty cake" up front again.

But front four schemes aren't plug and play into any kind of overall defensive scheme. What Bo does is specific to his entire defense. If we need to change that, will the coverage patterns Bo is so good at running have to go, too? If they go, can he adapt without it? That's Bo's signature, it's pretty unique, and it's been devastatingly effective. I feel like you're sort of asking Rich Rodriguez to run the West Coast here.

One mediocre season for the defense and suddenly Bo doesn't know what he's doing.

Now...didn't Carl make most of the play calls last year!? I thought this has been confirmed before....

According to an inside source I have, Carl didn't make the calls in the Capital One Bowl. I won't give you the source's name or else I risk losing him/her as a source.

One mediocre season for the defense and suddenly Bo doesn't know what he's doing.

Now...didn't Carl make most of the play calls last year!? I thought this has been confirmed before....

According to an inside source I have, Carl didn't make the calls in the Capital One Bowl. I won't give you the source's name or else I risk losing him/her as a source.

A source? Of exotic saltwater fish perhaps? wink wink, nuff said.