*** The Official 2012 Grilling Thread ***

When I make the patties myself I like to mix in a bit of chopped onion, and sprinkle some Lawrys Seasoned Salt on each side. I make fairly large, thick burgers. I swear they taste better if you make 'em bigger like that. :lol:

Lately, I've gotten lazy and don't make the patties myself very often. There is a butcher across the street from my office that sells excellent 1/3 lb burgers with bits of bacon and cheddar cheese mixed in.

Made Jerk Chicken and Spanish Rice tonight for dinner. Used the side burner for the rice so I didn't heat up the house.

Here's the chicken and rice, and a tasty beverage:

dscf2749.jpg

I know what you're thinking and yeah - that's MGD. I drink the high-brow stuff.

Anyway, it was hotter than hell next to that grill. I went and got my meat thermometer, clipped it to my shirt for a few minutes, and this was the reading:

dscf2755.jpg

Which is why it was nice that a few of these rolled in, even if it was too late to cool me down:

dscf2750.jpg

Grilled burgers last night. How do you guys make your hamburgers? I use 85% lean hamburger, and I add a TBSP of water per pound of raw hamburger. Form a patty, dust the top with Steak Dust, and grill.

I always crack an egg into the hamburger before forming the patties...adds/retains the juicyness of the burger.

And for you burger aficionados, as a former Denver resident, try this:

Been there 3 times, and I've done spicy, traditional, and outlandish. And every time it turned out perfect. The hamburger itself is mouth-watering, and the prices are very reasonable.

• Fire 1

We had a bunch of people over tonight, a BYOM meal. I grilled, in this ridiculous heat, chicken breasts (bone-in), marinated chicken skewers with a roasted red pepper pesto, hamburgers, and asparagus. It was a long hot slog, but well worth it.

After dinner I went back outside and grilled peaches. I just split them in half, removed the pit, grilled them on high face-down for a few minutes to get some char marks, then flipped them over, sprinkled on brown sugar, and turned everything down to low just to bake them. They were fantastic. First time I'd ever tried that, and it worked really well. Highly recommended.

Dang! Plus 1 to the pizzas. Damn that looks good. Also plus 1 to the Duffy's clip in Denver. Been a Broncos fan my whole life. Hoping my fiance' and I have a Broncos game in the future for our honeymoon. It looks like we may even add that place to the list of events. Awesome.

Great idea for a thread. I got to get involved in this one. I grill out a lot and I love gettin' new ideas.

Did a whole chicken a couple weeks ago. You can buy a whole chicken cheaper than you can a pack of breast meat at the store!

IMO, the best way to achieve a great, moist bird is to brine it. I used this turkey brine recipe for chicken and it's great! Halve the recipe for the much smaller chicken. Brine 24-48 hours

http://allrecipes.co...ine/detail.aspx

Wash the chicken, rub it down with lemon juice first then in olive oil. Season with your favorite chicken rub.

I take a aluminum foil pan and put a rack in it to raise the chicken up a bit. Pour a layer of chicken stock/broth in the bottom of the pan. Breast side down (flip and turn halfway through if you'd like)

Cook indirect at 325* (heat on one side, meat on the other). Feel free to add smoke to the fire. Take off when breast registers as done (155*+...probably will take a couple hours). I sometimes throw it on the direct flame to crips it up a bit mroe. Wrap in foil and let sit 30min-1hour.

Been doing planked trout lately. Get a piece of untreated hickory (grocery stores have them now), soak for a couple of hours. Take a stick of soft butter and mix in some fresh dill, maybe a little dry garlic, let that sit for a few hours or overnight in the fridge to even out the flavors, then rub inside the trout (obviously not all of it, a stick will do around half a dozen trout, maybe more, use you best judgement). Put your grill on low, salt the outside of the fish (and in the cavity if you wish), put the fish on the hickory, put on the grill and wait. In about 10 minutes it should be done (check at 5-8 though). Once done remove from the grill, slide fish onto a plate, the skin should come right off, and enjoy.

Going to grill some beer brats and some Filet Mignon kabobs for Independence Day.

What are yous guys's favorite method of grilling brats? I like to boil them in cheap beer first (preferably Miller High Life), then grill them over charcoal for a few minutes.

My Texas friends swear by going the other way around. Grill the brats on low, then toss them into simmering beer/onions/seasoning, a let simmer for an hour or more.

Going to grill some beer brats and some Filet Mignon kabobs for Independence Day.

What are yous guys's favorite method of grilling brats? I like to boil them in cheap beer first (preferably Miller High Life), then grill them over charcoal for a few minutes.

My Texas friends swear by going the other way around. Grill the brats on low, then toss them into simmering beer/onions/seasoning, a let simmer for an hour or more.

It'd be interesting to compare the two techniques. Both sound good. A friend from Wisconsin swears by boiling them first. Insists it's the only way. Me--I'm more of an expert at eating brats than fixing them. :lol:

Here's a site with a handful of brat recipes: http://www.grillingwithbeer.com/GWBsamplechapter.pdf