*** The Official 2012 Grilling Thread ***

I am having tri-tip tonight, because I am a CA native, and know what tri-tip is, and therefore awesome.

Tri-tip? CA native? This doesn't involve three guys and crossed swords, does it? :o

• Fire 2

Grilled burgers last night. How do you guys make your hamburgers? I use 85% lean hamburger, and I add a TBSP of water per pound of raw hamburger. Form a patty, dust the top with Steak Dust, and grill.

I chop onion and bacon really fine, add 1 raw egg, a tablespoon of garlic, some breadcrumbs and cheddar cheeze to a pound of burger, mix it well and then form 4 big patties and let them sit until room temperature. Then I'll add Lawry's seasoning salt on them as they grill. Don't forget the buns, Wonderbread burger buns suck, if you're going to make a great burger, get some decent buns, Rotella's are the best that I can get in the Lincoln area. Trust me on getting quality buns.

(Boy I just read my post and I've really opened myself to some ridicule if someone wants to take the 'buns' the wrong way, Oh well)

I am having tri-tip tonight, because I am a CA native, and know what tri-tip is, and therefore awesome.

Coincidentally, I went with Tri-Tip instead of Filet Mignon kabobs last night. They were magnificent. I lived in California for a while, but that has nothing to do with me knowing what Tri-Tip is (or maybe it does?).

------------------------

The brats were also a huge hit. The only thing I did differently was I put an onion in the beer like Canttakeitanymore suggested up there. Can't believe I've never tried that before. I still grilled them last, I think they're best straight from the grill.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Two beer-butt chickens on the grill right now. Got some whole sage in the cans, steaming into the chickens, and I'm basting it with butter, thyme and garlic.

Me, my beer, and the grill. It's freakin' HOT, but still - life is good. :thumbs

What's your address knapplc? I'm going to wait for you to go inside to get another beer and steal the food off your grill send you an early Christmas card. ;)

Dontcha got some shade somewhere, knapplc?

My patio is on the west, and I've purposefully left the back open (as in, no trees) so I can see the sunset. I have an unobstructed view to the horizon out west, so I figure I might as well suffer through some heat to keep the view.

I have pictures of my chickens from last night, but they're still on the camera. I'll post them later.

Tonight I'm having about a dozen people over for sliders. I have some onions, mushrooms, bleu cheese, swiss cheese, American cheese, some Romesco sauce, tomato, lettuce and pickles, so whatever people want, they can just slap that on their burger and enjoy. Some french fries in the oven, and some baked beans on the side, and that's a decent little meal.

I haven't updated this thread for a while because I've been extremely busy cooking for massive amounts of guests. One of the best things I made over the past few weeks was a Beef Rib Roast (not Prime Rib) on the grill.

I could walk you through what I did, but this site is the method/recipe I used, and this guy explains it far better than I could. It takes time to read through this page but it is well worth it - this guy knows his stuff. I followed his instructions to the letter and turned out a fantastic Rib Roast that my guests could not stop gushing over.

Beef Rib Roast

Having read that and finding out I had everything he required, I got to work. Here's my rib roast all trimmed of fat and trussed up:

DSCF3081.jpg

Here it is all dressed up with the herb paste, ready for the grill:

DSCF3082.jpg

Now, I'd like to have about half a dozen more pictures to show, but stuff got really busy right about this time in the cooking process, and since I was doing this alone, I didn't have time (or clean hands) to be taking a lot of pictures.

After four hours on the grill, this is the juice that collected underneath that bad boy. I'd loved to have just dove right into that, or poured it into a glass and drank it straight. It was heavenly. Instead I used it to make a fantastic gravy for the garlic mashed potatoes:

DSCF3084.jpg

Tragically, I was far too busy to take pictures of the finished roast off the grill. Everyone came at once and I had to slice and serve post haste. Here's the wreckage of that once-might piece of meat:

DSCF3086.jpg

This was a restaurant-quality meal. Granted, it was a tremendous piece of meat to begin with, but after all that money and work, it all turned out perfectly.

I highly recommend making this recipe, either on your grill or in the oven, for Christmas Dinner or something. One recommendation - eliminate the cayenne from the rub/paste. It is not necessary.