*** The Official 2012 Grilling Thread ***

I need to try mango salsa. Everyone swears by it, and this recipe sounds good. Mental note - buy mangoes.

In other grilling news, yesterday I spent a couple of hours coring, seeding, grilling and skinning 30-something red bell peppers for Red Pepper Sauce. A rough recipe for this is:

Two red bell peppers, seeded and cored, sliced in half

One/Two dried ancho chilis, seeds removed

1 tsp fish sauce

Roast the peppers like I mentioned above, then in a blender (food processor doesn't work well for this) add roughly this ratio of roasted red peppers, dried anchos and fish sauce, and grind into a sauce. Add water as needed to get it rolling well in the blender.

This stuff is fantastic. I use it on bruschetta, on pizza in place of marinara, I drop it on pasta with some grilled chicken breast, and I add it to various red sauces. I have only just begun making this stuff, and I'll add uses for it as I come up with more. The color on this stuff is gorgeous.

I have had the greatest thing I have ever grilled. Over the weekend we went to my brother-in-law's friend's place. He has connections, and scored a perfectly legal bison tenderloin. Thing was HUGE. We grilled that sucker over indirect heat for about three hours, on a broiler pan full of water, with a fantastic rub.

It was not just fork-tender. It was plastic-fork tender. Leanest piece of meat ever. Didn't taste gamey, just beefy and moist and wonderful. Ridiculous.

I'll probably never have that again, but for one glorious night, it was grilled heaven.

Steak house near where I live has bison steaks on the menu. Quite awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Knapp....

I love grilling shrimp and love shrimp tacos.

This recipe reminded me of something I have started making and my family absolutely loves it.

Grilled Tilapia with Mango Salsa

Season Tilapia fillets with blacken seasoning to taste. I have grill grates that can be turned over and are mostly flat. If you don't have that, use aluminum foil or a basket made for grilling fish. Spray them with cooking spray and grill fish over medium heat till just flaky. Watch closely, it's easy to over cook.

Mango Salsa

2 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1/4 cup minced red onion

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

1/4 cup lime juice

2 tablespoons lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Serve salsa over tilapia or put in tortilla for a fish taco.

This amount of salsa is enough for 5 people plus some left over.

Eating it for years on Pork Tenderloin. My wife adds chopped strawberries in the mix.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey can we change the title and make this the 2013 grilling thread as well?

I know I posted it cuz I'm an attention whore but I bought a grill, a charcoal Weber, the old American classic. I'm pumped to start grilling some stuff this weekend.

Here she is:

BLABV9dCQAI4FkQ_zps01ac00ae.jpg

Look forward to trying it out this weekend! My girlfriend is also awesome and got me a chimney starter for the charcoal, a brush (necessity) and some grilling utensils. I'm all set! Just gotta throw a couple ribeyes and some corn on there and oh baby.... I will report back!

• 5 weeks later...

Grilled asparagus for the first time this evening. Very tasty and quick. Also did some brats. I always boil them in beer first. Used Ghost Face Killa and Billies Chilies beer lended a bit of heat. Used just enough beer to cover the brats and one large sweet (Vidalia or Walla Walla) onion cut in fairly large pieces. After removing the brats to the grill, remove the lid and turn up the heat and add about a half stick of butter. Boil it down until virtually no liquid remains. The onions are awesome served with the brats.

• 3 weeks later...

Made knapp's shrimp tacos about a week ago. Very good-highly recommend. Ever since then I've been hankering for more griiled shrimp so tonight I picked up some colossal shrimp, marinated them in a bottled chipotle lime marinade (only about twenty minutes prior to grilling). They were absolutely fantastic. I couldn't believe how much spice and flavor they picked up in such a short time. The whole family loved them.

• Fire 1

Made knapp's shrimp tacos about a week ago. Very good-highly recommend. Ever since then I've been hankering for more griiled shrimp so tonight I picked up some colossal shrimp, marinated them in a bottled chipotle lime marinade (only about twenty minutes prior to grilling). They were absolutely fantastic. I couldn't believe how much spice and flavor they picked up in such a short time. The whole family loved them.

They really are awesome. It's a go-to recipe around Chez Knapp

I'm going to do them again soon when I can follow the salsa recipe to a T. The first time I made a couple substitutions to allow for what I had available. Subbed an orange bell pepper and jalapeno pepper for the poblano. I know that is not ideal but who woulda thought the Safeway on my way home wouldn't have any poblanos (Guess that's why I prefer the King Soopers that isn't on my way home). And the avocado I used was a little over ripe and I doubled up on the cilantro because I thought more would be better. It was still pretty darned good but, I could tell these would be awesome if I had gotten the salsa just right.

I'm going to do them again soon when I can follow the salsa recipe to a T. The first time I made a couple substitutions to allow for what I had available. Subbed an orange bell pepper and jalapeno pepper for the poblano. I know that is not ideal but who woulda thought the Safeway on my way home wouldn't have any poblanos (Guess that's why I prefer the King Soopers that isn't on my way home). And the avocado I used was a little over ripe and I doubled up on the cilantro because I thought more would be better. It was still pretty darned good but, I could tell these would be awesome if I had gotten the salsa just right.

Oh good lord...Now you guys are making me have to make these.

I'm off to BBQ for about 450 people this weekend. This recipe is going to have to wait.