HB members in real life

I think the best days for Metallica was ...AJFA and Garage Days Re-Revisited (not to be confused with that trainwreck 'Garage Inc.'. I liked 'Master' and 'Ride' and even the 'Black' album was good. But they completely lost me after the 'Napster' issue.

Not that they're not entitled to their share of money, but Metallica never seemed to be about the money previous to this. And with the quality of concerts they put out, they are one band that can honestly say, "F--- the album sales, we can sell out anywhere we go and make a ton of money touring."

So greed got the best of them, and they were never really the same.

I realize I'm probably the only person in the world that feels this way..I did go back and listen to some of their older stuff and the local (PHX) hard rock radio station still plays some of their older stuff, but for some unknown reason it just doesn't "move" me, S/M is my fav from them. (Although I just found out my ex just bought it, so I may have to reconsider).

I'm sure if you'd had a chance to see them when they were in their "prime", it may change your mind. Most folks, after '96, got to see Metallica on the downward swing. Seeing them on the Justice tour, they played for over 2 and a half hours.

They played for pretty close to that when I saw them a few years back. Second longest set I've seen a band play (Offspring was the longest, damn near 3 hours)

I understand where 37 is coming from. I'm pretty far from a metal purist (in all honesty, metal purists are generally the most close minded music fans in existence. Change one little thing, like slow it down a little, and they all lose their little closed minds) A song can be less than 120 bpm and still be good. I have every album Metallica put out (with the exception of the Live Sh#t Binge and Purge) and to be honest the three that get spun the least are Kill em All, Ride the Lightning and St Anger. I'm of the mindset that the Black Album, Load and ReLoad are all good. I actually like that they pulled in other influences, changed up some tempos and did something other than remake Puppets again and again.

I am metal purist (which I've even been called a "metal snob"), but for my money the 3 best Metallica albums are 1. Justice, 2. Puppets, 3. Lightning (in that order). There are some great songs on Kill Em, but the production isn't the best. Those songs are much better live, than on the original disc.

But when it comes to the Black album and everything after that, it is just lacking. The aggression on subsequent albums, even on the Black album, seems manufactured. Those albums weren't genuine, and they just seem half hearted, hamfisted attempts at metal.

You might be looking for something different that what was offered then. The Black album is not about aggression. There are other things music can delve into other than being angry. metal included. Being pissed off is not necessarily a key component of metal.

• 1 month later...