HB members in real life

The old Metallica is very good. I always liked "Garage Days" kind of a Cliff Burton tribute. The first three cd's were defineatly the best.

The "Black album" was the death knell for Metallica. I still say, Cliff Burton doesn't die, the Black Album doesn't get made...

Fair point. I never thought Jason Newstead would go along with that. His background was pretty far from that type of thing.

The old Metallica is very good. I always liked "Garage Days" kind of a Cliff Burton tribute. The first three cd's were defineatly the best.

The "Black album" was the death knell for Metallica. I still say, Cliff Burton doesn't die, the Black Album doesn't get made...

Fair point. I never thought Jason Newstead would go along with that. His background was pretty far from that type of thing.

Newsted was picked on without mercy. For the first 5 years, that kid was in Metallica, they were such a$$hole$, they tried to make him quit.

Newsted was picked on without mercy. For the first 5 years, that kid was in Metallica, they were such a$$hole$, they tried to make him quit.

Newstead was the original bassist for Flotsam&Jetsam. Great stuff.

Newstead was the original bassist for Flotsam&Jetsam. Great stuff.

Oh, I know....

I didn't like Doomsday for the Deceiver, as much as I liked No Place For Disgrace (which had a great Boris Vallejo cover).

Oddly enough the bass player on that album, was Troy Gregory, who went on to play in another one of my favorite bands, Prong.

I seen Prong with Flotsam&Jetsam in Joplin, Mo. about 25 years ago. Church goers were outside protesting. It was awesome.

When I saw them in 89 on the Justice tour, walking in to the Rapid City Civic Center, I had multiple women tell me I was going to hell...

I just said, "I know, isn't it great"

• Fire 1

I seen Prong with Flotsam&Jetsam in Joplin, Mo. about 25 years ago. Church goers were outside protesting. It was awesome.

When I saw them in 89 on the Justice tour, walking in to the Rapid City Civic Center, I had multiple women tell me I was going to hell...

I just said, "I know, isn't it great"

We all got to some where.

I didn't really get into "Metal" until Metalica did that thing with the orchestra and then sorta worked my way back..I kow the metal purists hate that orchestra album, but it did give me a new appreciation of it.

Back in MY day, (in my small community) we considered Zeppelin and Van Halen or Ted Nugent (sorta?) metal.

I still say Ozzy Osborn sounds like Bette Davis after her stroke.

Metallica had been dead to me for a couple years by the time that stupid "S&M" album came out. I feel bad for kids who only know Metallica after "Load of Sh*t" came out. You guys got screwed, because know you're getting "Craptallica", especially since they got rid of "Newkid"...

I realize I'm probably the only person in the world that feels this way..I did go back and listen to some of their older stuff and the local (PHX) hard rock radio station still plays some of their older stuff, but for some unknown reason it just doesn't "move" me, S/M is my fav from them. (Although I just found out my ex just bought it, so I may have to reconsider).

I couldn't even stand classical music when I was growing up or playing in band in highschool..But it seems to emote some sort of more powerful emotion to the music..Probably the only band I can think of that I don't prefer their older stuff.

I also liked listening to Elton John when I was in Jr High, but couldn't listen to the songs anymore..Until I got this one CD of his... Live with the Melborne Symphony Orchestra that even my young son seems to appreciate.

It's funny how tastes differ so much among us at times...Back when I was growing up in Nebraska with the seasons, I leaned toward different genera depending on the weather/season.

Winter=Jazz (and Beach Boys durring blizzards).

Spring=Regae

Summer=Rock

Fall=Blues

Now I seem to still be stuck in my 12 year Grunge phase

I realize I'm probably the only person in the world that feels this way..I did go back and listen to some of their older stuff and the local (PHX) hard rock radio station still plays some of their older stuff, but for some unknown reason it just doesn't "move" me, S/M is my fav from them. (Although I just found out my ex just bought it, so I may have to reconsider).

I'm sure if you'd had a chance to see them when they were in their "prime", it may change your mind. Most folks, after '96, got to see Metallica on the downward swing. Seeing them on the Justice tour, they played for over 2 and a half hours.

I'm sure if you'd had a chance to see them when they were in their "prime", it may change your mind. Most folks, after '96, got to see Metallica on the downward swing. Seeing them on the Justice tour, they played for over 2 and a half hours.

They played for pretty close to that when I saw them a few years back. Second longest set I've seen a band play (Offspring was the longest, damn near 3 hours)

I understand where 37 is coming from. I'm pretty far from a metal purist (in all honesty, metal purists are generally the most close minded music fans in existence. Change one little thing, like slow it down a little, and they all lose their little closed minds) A song can be less than 120 bpm and still be good. I have every album Metallica put out (with the exception of the Live Sh#t Binge and Purge) and to be honest the three that get spun the least are Kill em All, Ride the Lightning and St Anger. I'm of the mindset that the Black Album, Load and ReLoad are all good. I actually like that they pulled in other influences, changed up some tempos and did something other than remake Puppets again and again.

They played for pretty close to that when I saw them a few years back. Second longest set I've seen a band play (Offspring was the longest, damn near 3 hours)

I understand where 37 is coming from. I'm pretty far from a metal purist (in all honesty, metal purists are generally the most close minded music fans in existence. Change one little thing, like slow it down a little, and they all lose their little closed minds) A song can be less than 120 bpm and still be good. I have every album Metallica put out (with the exception of the Live Sh#t Binge and Purge) and to be honest the three that get spun the least are Kill em All, Ride the Lightning and St Anger. I'm of the mindset that the Black Album, Load and ReLoad are all good. I actually like that they pulled in other influences, changed up some tempos and did something other than remake Puppets again and again.

I am metal purist (which I've even been called a "metal snob"), but for my money the 3 best Metallica albums are 1. Justice, 2. Puppets, 3. Lightning (in that order). There are some great songs on Kill Em, but the production isn't the best. Those songs are much better live, than on the original disc.

But when it comes to the Black album and everything after that, it is just lacking. The aggression on subsequent albums, even on the Black album, seems manufactured. Those albums weren't genuine, and they just seem half hearted, hamfisted attempts at metal.