It's official...4-team playoff approved

In your situation I would see the following:

Definitely in :

Ohio State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Alabama goes 10-1 losing to Florida (wins the SEC)

Debatable :

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Michigan goes 10-1 losing to Ohio State

LSU goes 10-1 losing to Alabama

Out:

Boise State goes 11-0

I suspect they would look at SOS of these 3 teams to decide which one deserves the #4 spot - and I suspect ACC will get hosed again with it really coming down to Michigan and LSU, starting the next chain of conference realignment ;)

Just nit-picking here but I don't see how, if OSU goes undefeated, Michigan can only have one loss to Ohio State with the same amount of games played. Wouldn't Michigan have to play OSU again in the CCG?

I'm surprised that you're not also bringing up the fact that the regular season is 12 games now, not 11 ;)

I apologize for this post ahead of time....its a scenario and one that might not ever see daylight....but with the SEC bias in this country lets say the following happens

Ohio State goes 11-0

Boise State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Who are the four teams in the playoff?....Do they really think anyone expects us to believe that the SEC would be left out?....Michigan would have to be the "first" +1 in this scenario dont they?......i guess my point is that they need to take the human element out of the equation.....my guess is that Bama gets in (screwing Michigan and Boise State) along with VT, OSU, and OU?......its just a scenario and one that rarely will happen, but with last nights big revelation that this playoff is the greatest thing to ever happen to college football fans, i would have thought they would have made it a little more air tight than they did......

change for the sake of change isnt progress

For the sake of discussion, can you cite a year where three teams have gone through the regular season undefeated? Because I can't think of one year where that's happened, but that's not to say it hasn't.

I think a far more likely scenario is one team is 12-0 and three or four others are 11-1.

The BCS may no longer be the match maker for #1 and #2 but BCS Standings, or some other type of system will probably still be used the determine teams 1-4. Now all we need to do is find a way to completely take espn and their idiot pundits out of the playoff selection process....

But how many times in the last 50 years have there really been more than 4 teams who should get a shot at the championship?

Past 5 years.

2011: 1 team with 0 losses, 4 teams with 1 loss

2010: 3 teams with 0 losses, 5 teams with 1 loss

2009: 5 teams with 0 losses, 1 team with 1 loss

2008: 2 teams with 0 losses, 7 teams with 1 loss

2007: 1 team with 0 losses, 2 teams with 1 loss, 10 teams with 2 losses

Boise with a loss, with their weak SOS, is not deserving of a shot at the championship. 2 loss teams are not deserving either. One of the 2 loss teams would have gotten the 4th spot in 2007, but I don't care that one is picked over the other 9 since you didn't leave out a deserving team. Likewise in 2010, you had 3 teams with a solid claim that wouldn't get left out, and you can pick 1 of the 5 who doesn't really have a claim to fill the 4th spot, leaving out 4 who didn't deserve it anyway. 2009 is the only problem, and I don't really have an issue leaving out Boise State playing a much weaker schedule.

But how many times in the last 50 years have there really been more than 4 teams who should get a shot at the championship?

Past 5 years.

Boise with a loss, with their weak SOS, is not deserving of a shot at the championship. 2 loss teams are not deserving either. One of the 2 loss teams would have gotten the 4th spot in 2007, but I don't care that one is picked over the other 9 since you didn't leave out a deserving team. Likewise in 2010, you had 3 teams with a solid claim that wouldn't get left out, and you can pick 1 of the 5 who doesn't really have a claim to fill the 4th spot, leaving out 4 who didn't deserve it anyway. 2009 is the only problem, and I don't really have an issue leaving out Boise State playing a much weaker schedule.

So let me get this straight... If I'm correct in my dating, you would rather NOT have seen the matchup of Boise St. vs Oklahoma at the Fiesta bowl in what i consider to be one of my favorite matchups of all time? This is what America is all about, what we love. Seeing the little guy coming out of nowhere to win it all. Or to have a heartbreaker. We crave it. And this committee is gonna allow it when applicable. Because it will bring the ratings. And I'm glad. Because I know all the people who say Boise and TCU don't belong will either eat their words or prove me wrong. But we'll all be watching it, won't we? :wasted

Ill agree that was an entertaining game,but in the grand scheme of things it really didn't matter, for two reasons.

1. If Boise would have played in a major conference they most likely would have had a loss or two and been out of the picture.

2 IF Boise was in a major conference AND made it through undefeated/1loss (2nd best team) to face Oklahoma in the NCS (where Oklahoma thought they belonged that year) i really think you would have seen a different Oklahoma team, and a different result.

I honestly thought this whole thing was about getting the 2 heavyweight champions on the field to slug it out, and leave no doubt who the best is! I would prefer to see Ali vs Frazier than Peewee Herman vs Mike Tyson, even if Peewee gets lucky every once in a while and lands a haymaker.

Past 5 years.

And this is why this system will have it's problems just like the BCS. If you discount the smaller schools in D1 football than you have failed.

Definitely in :

Ohio State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Debatable :

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Out:

Boise State goes 11-0

I suspect they would look at SOS of these 3 teams to decide which one deserves the #4 spot - and I suspect ACC will get hosed again with it really coming down to Michigan and LSU, starting the next chain of conference realignment ;)

And this is why non-conference scheduling is important...for some teams in certain conferences. Teams like Florida and LSU could schedule Norfolk State, Slippery Rock, and St. Mary's School of Knitting as their 3 nons every year. Why? Because half their scheduled conference games will all be teams ranked in the top 12 so that basically balances out any crap teams they want to play OOC.

Teams such as Va Tech, Boise, and Notre Dame will have to schedule strong teams or they'll get left out in the wind due to weaker conferences/no conference championship game.

Definitely in :

Ohio State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Debatable :

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Out:

Boise State goes 11-0

And this is why non-conference scheduling is important...for some teams in certain conferences. Teams like Florida and LSU could schedule Norfolk State, Slippery Rock, and St. Mary's School of Knitting as their 3 nons every year. Why? Because half their scheduled conference games will all be teams ranked in the top 12 so that basically balances out any crap teams they want to play OOC.

Teams such as Va Tech, Boise, and Notre Dame will have to schedule strong teams or they'll get left out in the wind due to weaker conferences/no conference championship game.

That's cartel logic. They've roped off part of CFB and called it the major conferences. Then they tell Boise that they aren't worthy to play them in a bowl because Boise wasn't a member for the regular season.

I might prefer Congress to act when Boise or whoever takes the mantle gets the shaft in favor of a weaker team. I suppose we have to wait a few years and see.

I'm actually not worried about an 11-1 ND team (and would be happy in any case to have one). Our schedules are hard and we bring $ so we wouldn't be given the Boisenberry.

I never liked the fact that D-1AA could be in a BCS Bowl. If Boise St. wants to play for MNC they should join a BCS Conference. Back to the OP. I think Oklahoma, OSU, VT, and Ala. would make the most sense.

Ya OK,

D1 football is D1 football. If you want to change it, define new divisions. Boise State is part of the D1 conferences or FCS. (what ever it called now)

I never liked the fact that D-1AA could be in a BCS Bowl. If Boise St. wants to play for MNC they should join a BCS Conference. Back to the OP. I think Oklahoma, OSU, VT, and Ala. would make the most sense.

Ya OK,

D1 football is D1 football. If you want to change it, define new divisions. Boise State is part of the D1 conferences or FCS. (what ever it called now)

They were(BSU) offered a spot in 2 different BCS conferences. Why didn't they accept? And no, D-! and D-1 AA are not the same.

people always talk about a playoff diminishing the regular season, but what diminishes the regular season more than a good team losing one game and no longer having anything to play for other than maybe the cotton bowl (in our past case). there should be at least 8 teams (and keep the rest of the bowls for everyone else, because hey, one more game). the argument between 8-9 would be laughable, but between 4-5-6 will be pretty serious.

edit: i really liked sauders' point.

Great point!

"Now", the smart way to to cruise through a Boise St. schedule. Play nobody, go undefeated and gear up for the one game season in the bowl.

What I'm still waiting to hear about is, this "selection committee" Who is it going to be made up of?

This is where the whole idea, good intentions and all, will fall on it's ass...

This is where it will have the complaints. Who gets in, and who is left out. Gonna be some pissed off folks out there.

Past 5 years.

2 loss teams are not deserving either. One of the 2 loss teams would have gotten the 4th spot in 2007, but I don't care that one is picked over the other 9 since you didn't leave out a deserving team.

One of those 2 loss teams won the title in 07. Those numbers don't tell the whole story. The two teams with 1 loss were Kansas and Hawaii, and neither were that good.