Big Ten - Pac 12 Alliance dissolves...

The Big Ten's scheduling partnership with the Pac-12 isn't happening after all, and the fans of both leagues will pay the price.

The two leagues announced Friday that their pact, which initially called for 12 football games per year, has been called off. The reason: at least four Pac-12 schools were unwilling to agree to mandatory scheduling, ESPN.com has learned. A key sticking point is that Pac-12 teams play nine conference games, while Big Ten teams play only eight. Adding in traditional non-league series like USC-Notre Dame, Stanford-Notre Dame and Utah-BYU, and it makes the scheduling situation tougher for those in the Pac-12.

Link

I was really looking forward to some of the match ups between the B1G and the PAC 12, but oh well. In the article I read it stated that they conf would be reopen the possibility of a 9 game conf schedule OR look into setting up an agreement with another conference. I would highly doubt the SEC or the Big XII would be interested but the ACC might. We will see what ends up happening!

Thank god. Was not looking forward to these games at all TBH. Sounds great if you think we'd be playing USC and Oregon every year, but it would be more like Washington State and Arizona and be a huge snoozefest. Now we're free to schedule some Big 12 and SEC teams instead of getting stuck with a Pac-12 team being our only "AQ" nonconf game each year.

Thank god. Was not looking forward to these games at all TBH. Sounds great if you think we'd be playing USC and Oregon every year, but it would be more like Washington State and Arizona and be a huge snoozefest. Now we're free to schedule some Big 12 and SEC teams instead of getting stuck with a Pac-12 team being our only "AQ" nonconf game each year.

i was looking forward to this, even if is was just wsu or au, but you kind of convinced me. i liked it because of west coast recruiting, but that is probably overrated. i liked it because i thought two well-respected conference having some relationship would add a little cache to each (sticking it to the crumbling big 12). but i think tschu is right.

now, if only that will happen.

For those that are glad this didn't happen, you do realize that the main reason we didn't go to a nine-game schedule in conference, as I recall, was because of this? And so we'll likely in the near future end up going to the nine-game schedule in conference anyway? Yeah, not seeing it as really any different in that respect. We'll still likely end up with the same type of scheduling we do now, because of the want/need to have seven home games/year. We'll have the one 'big' game matchup non-con a year, we'll have one or two that are 'two-for-one' strength type teams, and then one or two patsy 'pay' type games, as we always do. Not really seeing this changing anything. And to be honest, I'm okay with that kind of scheduling, because I think it gives us a mix, without losing the big revenue from the home games.

Dang I wanted to see us play Colorado. I miss the big 12..

great point. we just missed a prime opportunity to restore our greatest rivalry.

not to mention, the buffalo (i.e. american bison, tatanka) is my favorite animal.

Yeah...and it's so tasty!