Husker Character Fuels 'Uplifting' Chapter

Wednesday, July 18, became an historic day for Nebraska football, and it had nothing to do with a top-level recruiting commitment, a conference championship or a national title. The day was inspiring, moving and meaningful in a different sense because 47 Husker players bonded to form the nucleus of Chapter No. 14 supporting Uplifting Athletes, a national nonprofit organization that aligns college football programs with rare diseases. Each chapter chooses a rare disease and then elevates it to a national priority through outreach, research, education and advocacy.

“The Nebraska chapter is the most advanced starting chapter we’ve ever had because its launch on day one is comparable to other chapters beginning year three,” said Scott Shirley, the executive director and chairman of Uplifting Athletes. The organization named Rex Burkhead, Nebraska’s All-Big Ten running back, the 2012 Rare Disease Champion Award winner last spring after he collected 76,000 votes in a national poll.

Tuesday night, Shirley addressed the 47 Huskers who designated pediatric brain cancer as the rare disease for which their chapter will raise funds and create national awareness. “Being in the room with those 47 players for an hour-and-a-half last night and then again this morning, you can see they're a reflection of the type of player Nebraska recruits,” Shirley said. “They were there because they want to make a big impact. They were very attentive. They asked very good questions, and they were great examples of the character Coach (Bo) Pelini recruits. They were the most supportive and knowledgeable group we’ve ever launched.”

Continue Reading

• Fire 7

Shirley praised Huskers who were elected officers by fellow members – Omaha’s C.J. Zimmerer, a junior fullback as the chapter’s first president; Omaha’s Ron Kellogg III, a junior quarterback who serves as vice president; and California native Quincy Enunwa, a junior wide receiver who fills the third executive position on a team that gives student-athletes an opportunity to gain practical job skills while learning how to leverage their assets and abilities to make a positive and lasting impact.

A great bunch of guys, these Huskers. Men of character. Props to Pelini for bringing them in. :thumbs:

Maybe I'm being a complete dick here........47???

Thats it!!!! Come on guys!!! Congrats to those who stepped up. Lost a cousin to this disease and it hits home!

I wonder how many are actually in Lincoln right now. i don't think many of the walkons. and the incoming freshman aren't on campus yet. that only leaves maybe 60-65 there.

Sure, conference titles, BCS bowl berths, and national championships are nice. But I would honestly rather have a team that gives it their all on the football field every Saturday and in every practice leading up to that Saturday--perhaps not winning like we all want them to--but then giving even more of themselves to causes like this.

Great to see such a devotion from our players.

Maybe I'm being a complete dick here........47??? Thats it!!!! Come on guys!!!

That's like 1/3 of the team, and you have no idea what other stuff the others might be doing.

Is this number all athletics? Or just FB.

I'm assuming just football, since it starts out: "Wednesday, July 18, became an historic day for Nebraska football"