Compton transforms himself on and off the field

BWGRNFDXSMTMFUY.20111125205356.JPG

Driven Compton transforms himself on and off the field

By Jon Nyatawa, WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER, Published Saturday July 28, 2012

<snip>

Compton has not only conducted detailed film breakdowns of every game in 2011, but he's also reviewed old tape from Urban Meyer's offense at Florida. He's analyzed clips of Northern Illinois, which sent its offensive coordinator (Matt Canada) to Wisconsin. He meets regularly with Pelini. And defensive coordinator John Papuchis. And position coach Ross Els. “I don't know what did it, what's changed, what's matured me throughout the years — but I want to know everything,” Compton said.

He made significant strides on the field last season, especially during the second half. He finished with 82 tackles, seven behind the line of scrimmage. Compton directed traffic before snaps, lining up the defense and barking out orders as opponents settled into their formations. He mastered a particular up-the-middle blitz, in which his goal was to take offensive linemen out of the play and allow David to drag down a ballcarrier.

LINK

This season is the time to shine for Compton. :thumbs:

I think hes going to have a really big year, glad he is working hard, it will pay off for him and our defense. Bo has established a culture that is starting to take shape, Rex and Compton are the poster childs of what he is trying to do. I hope the young guys are taking notes, because all of the seniors this year seem to have a different attitude. I would love to see this team come out and pound our first 4 opponents and i mean pound em, under 10 a game and scoring 50 points a game. We need to send a message........ we arent f'ing around anymore.

• Fire 2

I knew this was going to happen once I heard his post game radio interview after the citrus bowl last year. He broke down into tears about not being able to play next to david anymore and how the season fell apart and so on. I just knew at that time he was gonna be this years defensive leader.

I think this is what this team has been missing. This year we have Compton, stepping up and Taylor obviously doing it on offense. Three main leaders on this team with Burkhead. I really like hearing this. It is becoming a team with direction, that has been lacking since Bo got here. We have had good defenses, but with senior leadership that is truly motivated, could totally change this program for the best. Hopefully it turns out on the field, but with these three I can not imagine it not happening. (I know Taylor is a Junior)

I think hes going to have a really big year, glad he is working hard, it will pay off for him and our defense. Bo has established a culture that is starting to take shape, Rex and Compton are the poster childs of what he is trying to do. I hope the young guys are taking notes, because all of the seniors this year seem to have a different attitude. I would love to see this team come out and pound our first 4 opponents and i mean pound em, under 10 a game and scoring 50 points a game. We need to send a message........ we arent f'ing around anymore.

Hell yeah

I knew this was going to happen once I heard his post game radio interview after the citrus bowl last year. He broke down into tears about not being able to play next to david anymore and how the season fell apart and so on. I just knew at that time he was gonna be this years defensive leader.

It's like a light switch went on for our top leaders on the team...or last year's record/bowl loss was the "straw that broke the camel's back." I hear and see a sense of redemption surging through the team. This team means business and I hope it truly translates onto the field. With all the positive, relentless leadership showing through, this could mean very good things for the team.