Ryan Klachko

John Supinie@JohnSupinie

Former SHG offensive lineman Ryan Klachko attends #illini practice Tuesday morning. Left Nebraska but not yet ready to comment.

What are the in conference transfer rules? I know a lot of people made a big deal that all the PSU players could go to another B1G school if they wanted.

In the B12 - and probably the same in the B1G - the transfer player had to sit out one year AND lost an additional year of eligibility.

I think the Big 10 just got rid of that rule. Dont quote me on it but im pretty sure i read it somewhere recently

Daskers,

In your opinion, is it more BC or JG that the players have issues with? I was hoping JG was being grommed for BC's spot, but not a good sign if multiple players are having issues with his style of coaching. Not the end of the world since he is a young coach, just concerning.

Its with Cotton. Lots of guys unhappy with how they are on the depth chat. It might be that they feel they are better ( the player) than they are or it might have some actual merit in some cases, but many of the players and I say even Garrison at times don't think the best 5 guys are out there at times. There is a little division as some guys like Garrison better and feel he's more approachable than Cotton. I think some of it is trying to learn how to manage things when you have two guys coaching a spot but I personally think it goes back to Cottons ego. I stated last year he was not always as rosie about having help as he indicated in the press. He always liked to use that excuse for his short comings as a coach. That being said....a lot of the improvement that happened last year was because of things he did. But I often feel we go two steps forward and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 steps back with that guy. He's the one hire I had issue with from day one as I thought there were lots of better laches out there. Barry is an average coach and an above average administrator. He'd be good as an RC managing files and meetings etc.

Extremely tough to be encouraged by Cotton in any way at this point. I think you've highlighted an interesting snag with having two coaches for the same position, even if there are many guys at the position. It can be tricky if the coaches don't manage to have one voice and find a way to maintain cohesion of leadership.

I wonder if one of the issues was with A-Rod's extended playing time. Or highly thought of (supposedly?) interior backup Brandon Thompson's lack of playing time.

Daskers,

In your opinion, is it more BC or JG that the players have issues with? I was hoping JG was being grommed for BC's spot, but not a good sign if multiple players are having issues with his style of coaching. Not the end of the world since he is a young coach, just concerning.

Its with Cotton. Lots of guys unhappy with how they are on the depth chat. It might be that they feel they are better ( the player) than they are or it might have some actual merit in some cases, but many of the players and I say even Garrison at times don't think the best 5 guys are out there at times. There is a little division as some guys like Garrison better and feel he's more approachable than Cotton. I think some of it is trying to learn how to manage things when you have two guys coaching a spot but I personally think it goes back to Cottons ego. I stated last year he was not always as rosie about having help as he indicated in the press. He always liked to use that excuse for his short comings as a coach. That being said....a lot of the improvement that happened last year was because of things he did. But I often feel we go two steps forward and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 steps back with that guy. He's the one hire I had issue with from day one as I thought there were lots of better laches out there. Barry is an average coach and an above average administrator. He'd be good as an RC managing files and meetings etc.

Extremely tough to be encouraged by Cotton in any way at this point. I think you've highlighted an interesting snag with having two coaches for the same position, even if there are many guys at the position. It can be tricky if the coaches don't manage to have one voice and find a way to maintain cohesion of leadership.

I wonder if one of the issues was with A-Rod's extended playing time. Or highly thought of (supposedly?) interior backup Brandon Thompson's lack of playing time.

A little bit came out yesterday in a quote from Barney but there are a number of players that think Barney is just there to make sure his kids are starting. Even when his kid was hurt last year it seemed as if he got special allowances others didn't and rules created to keep his spot when he returned. Don't know how much truth there is to those things but that was part of the rumblings too.

A little bit came out yesterday in a quote from Barney but there are a number of players that think Barney is just there to make sure his kids are starting. Even when his kid was hurt last year it seemed as if he got special allowances others didn't and rules created to keep his spot when he returned. Don't know how much truth there is to those things but that was part of the rumblings too.

Are you talking about Ben? Because we didn't really have anyone to take over his spot, injury or not, last year. He didn't need his spot held because he was always going to come back to start.

Look at how "stellar" Cody Green was when we recruited him. Now look at him. Starting for Tulsa, and being VERY average. Or Marlon Lucky? Number 2 running back in the country? Never would have known that looking at his play at NU. Sometimes stuff just doesn't transfer from high school to college. Gotta have the "gift" to find the ones that do.

Cody could very well have been "stellar" - he just never got a chance here. It's not always the kid's fault, sometimes the roster dictates the success they have.

Marlon Lucky - the same guy that got himself into the top 20 rushers, and top 5 career all purpose yards at Nebraska? Not exactly a bad career amid the Calahan years. It's not always the kid's fault, sometimes the coaching dictates the success they have.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. He got plenty of chances to show how well he fumbled the ball and launched errant passes... He was never ever going to be a good starting QB for Nebraska. Never. Ever.

That's too bad.

Although actually, I like Barney's kids. It sounds a little bit like sour grapes, but maybe there is something to it. At the same time, Ben and Jake have both been pretty good players for us, no?

Joe, kc isn't too wrong about Cody not getting the chance to here, but it wasn't anybody's fault too much. When Spano's knee went out the second time, he was deprived of the redshirt year he so badly needed. All of a sudden he was a true sophomore instead of a redshirt freshman being thrown in at absurd, backed-up-against-your-own-endzone situations only and yanked very quickly. Green actually made strides over the years in his throwing, especially his footwork I believe, which is impressive given how far he had to go. None of that made him a truly exceptional player or anything, but he had immense physical talent on top of that.

When in his sophomore year he was finally prepared in as the starter running an offense perhaps better suited for him, we did OK against Colorado. Not that he was ever anything great, but you never know if things had gone differently - if he had gotten that redshirt year and maybe was completely under wraps in season 2 - if the playing time we saw of him was after we had fully committed to him as a starter and allowed him the rope to take his lumps, etc - if he would've turned out differently. Of course, you could say this for most any player.

Still, if Taylor's first two years of eligibility had gone the way Cody's did, can you imagine where he'd be now? Certainly not the much improved junior with an open book ahead of him to write. For one thing, he'd be a senior.

If this was mentioned I apologize....My cousin used to be a WR at Texas State in San Marcos so I keep up with that team (a little bit when the Huskers arent on).....Chase Harper has turned into a STUD down there....I am pretty sure he made the Mackey Award List and has a promising future.....Were grades the reason he didnt show up here?

John Supinie@JohnSupinie

Former SHG offensive lineman Ryan Klachko attends #illini practice Tuesday morning. Left Nebraska but not yet ready to comment.

What are the in conference transfer rules? I know a lot of people made a big deal that all the PSU players could go to another B1G school if they wanted.

In the B12 - and probably the same in the B1G - the transfer player had to sit out one year AND lost an additional year of eligibility.

I think the Big 10 just got rid of that rule. Dont quote me on it but im pretty sure i read it somewhere recently

as of May 2012, complete one full year of acedemic and lose on full year of eligibility

Joe, kc isn't too wrong about Cody not getting the chance to here, but it wasn't anybody's fault too much. When Spano's knee went out the second time, he was deprived of the redshirt year he so badly needed. All of a sudden he was a true sophomore instead of a redshirt freshman being thrown in at absurd, backed-up-against-your-own-endzone situations only and yanked very quickly. Green actually made strides over the years in his throwing, especially his footwork I believe, which is impressive given how far he had to go. None of that made him a truly exceptional player or anything, but he had immense physical talent on top of that.

When in his sophomore year he was finally prepared in as the starter running an offense perhaps better suited for him, we did OK against Colorado. Not that he was ever anything great, but you never know if things had gone differently - if he had gotten that redshirt year and maybe was completely under wraps in season 2 - if the playing time we saw of him was after we had fully committed to him as a starter and allowed him the rope to take his lumps, etc - if he would've turned out differently. Of course, you could say this for most any player.

Still, if Taylor's first two years of eligibility had gone the way Cody's did, can you imagine where he'd be now? Certainly not the much improved junior with an open book ahead of him to write. For one thing, he'd be a senior.

that's kind of what I was getting at. the timing wasn't ideal for Cody. he had a few chances, but nothing extended. he had that brilliant run his freshman year that got us all excited, then we rarely saw him again. he was put in the game during the worst possible situations, he had Watson as an OC - then to top it off Martinez shows up and has that amazing first 6 games of Cody's sophomore year. game,set,match. had cody redshirted and/or had Lee started instead of Martinez in 10' - we might have Cody under center going into this season. As it was, Martinez got the benefit of the doubt, and was tolerated to learn on the fly. His athleticism helped him immensely...but with a few exceptions I wouldn't say he has been head and shoulders better than Cody likely would have been over the last 18 games. Those first 6 were something else though. And a few sprinkled in since then. But we'll never know what Cody could have been w/ the same 25 starts Martinez has had.

thanks for the info, Daskers.

Any thought on how long they plan to keep BC on staff? We heard rumbling a few years ago about him taking some sort of assistant AD spot. Heard anything about this lately?

I like Barneys kids, no doubt the kids can play, but it does put Barney and his kids in an awkward position. Everyone is going to call nepotism if they arent starting, so I can see other players saying he is making special rules for his own kids. But, most dad coaches are HARDER on their kids, than other peoples. They expect more and reflect on the parent. So, who knows what is really going on. If the other players forced him out, then maybe he was just crying because he didnt get the #1 spot.

The nepotism thing is a valid concern, but Ben Cotton has more than earned his starting spot and scholarship. If he wasn't getting it done out there we'd have some worries, but he levels guys when he blocks, and he makes clutch catches.

If anyone has been watching the NU/Mizzou rerun from 2010 on BTN, pay attention to Cotton knocking the Mizzou DE ass-over-teakettle on Helu's first TD. Absolutely erased the guy.

The nepotism thing is a valid concern, but Ben Cotton has more than earned his starting spot and scholarship. If he wasn't getting it done out there we'd have some worries, but he levels guys when he blocks, and he makes clutch catches.

If anyone has been watching the NU/Mizzou rerun from 2010 on BTN, pay attention to Cotton knocking the Mizzou DE ass-over-teakettle on Helu's first TD. Absolutely erased the guy.

And you HEARD that block. It was LOUD. I am surprised the Mizzou guy didn't injure his knee. At the 9 second mark. Let's take a refresher, shall we:

• Fire 1

That would be the play. Plus Cotton has made a bunch of drive-sustaining catches, and tons more blocks down in the trenches. He's a credit to the Cotton name, and while the nepotism concerns were worth mentioning when he was signed (speculation always rises in situations like that), he's more than put that question/concern to bed.

If his brothers are even close to as good as Ben, we're getting plenty of ROI on the Cotton Bros.

• Fire 3

If this was mentioned I apologize....My cousin used to be a WR at Texas State in San Marcos so I keep up with that team (a little bit when the Huskers arent on).....Chase Harper has turned into a STUD down there....I am pretty sure he made the Mackey Award List and has a promising future.....Were grades the reason he didnt show up here?

yes i believe so