1st Practice Highlights

We wont know anything about Taylor Martinezs improvement until he is flushed out of the pocket. To this point he has not been a dual threat QB. He has been ineffective in making the defense respect even his "scramble" ability. He is quite the anomolly in that he is a running QB that cannot scramble or throw on the run. I hope this year we let him throw more 3 step verticals to stretch the defense and lift the safeties out of the box. The coaching staff has to take some responsibility for his development, but ultimately he is what he is. Its up to the coaching staff to bulster his positive traits and conceal his negative ones. We probably wont win more than 9 or 10 games with him at QB because there are parts if the field we cannot attack offensively. Yes, 9 or 10 games is a good season but it will never be a championship season. Aren't we trying to win a championship?

So when teams were putting 8-9 guys in the box because they weren't afraid he'd take off and run? Didn't Martinez have 800 + rushing yards seasons both his freshmen and sophomore years? He had over 2000 yards passing last season as well. Seems like a dual threat quarterback to me.

It's pretty obvious you don't care for Martinez at QB even though he's the best QB on the team and is why he's the starter.

We're trying to win a championship you know.

TMart doesn't have the best scramble ability, but you can't deny that if the defense doesn't contain him and get a hand on him, he's at full speed in three steps. AND THAT is RIDICULOUS and why he can hurt a defense.

Those three photos of T-Mart at yesterday's pratice brought a smile to my face, best throwing positions I've ever seen from him. If he practices that way, it should be there in games and make a big difference in his completion ratio.

People can make light of it, but I feel that it is very significant and what is what several other players have been impressed with this summer.

Welcome, love that show, and Penny

Thanks HuskerFowler, I love "Penny" too, hope she has another Husker party!

The only one in an "athletic stance"?? WTF is Taylor doing? He sure as hell isn't ordering pizza.

If you ask me, he's not taking a dropback either. I don't think Taylor is being asked to go through the whole pocket routine here. Just t stand still, upright, and toss the ball somewhere at his leisure. How much you want to judge from a picture where he's in warm-up throwing stance?

Cross is the one working on some stances here.

591693.jpg

Although one question I have for the people who do what they are talking about (as in, not me :P), is he holding the ball a little low here, and is that dip on the front shoulder bad or good?

Here's a video look at some of the practice.

Also, I still really love that jersey design. I'd like to see us wear it on gamedays.

Let's end the controversy here...

Um. Damn. Looks like a QB to me.

Someone want to tell me how that's not improved..? Not a QB coach by any means.

Here's a video look at some of the practice.

Also, I still really love that jersey design. I'd like to see us wear it on gamedays.

Let's end the controversy here...

Um. Damn. Looks like a QB to me.

Someone want to tell me how that's not improved..? Not a QB coach by any means.

While I agree with you, let's hold off on getting too excited until we see what this looks like in the context of an actual game. Even then, it would be wise as a fan base not to keep ripping on the kid, but not to get ahead of ourselves and proclaim Taylor the new messiah of Huskerdom before we see how his improvement and growth holds up in a tight contest with his back up against the wall.

That being said, he looks pretty damn good out there.

I'm hoping the cleaning up he's done can be maintained them over time once they go live. I feel like under pressure his muscle memory might let him slip back into his poorer mechanics. But it's all wait and see. He looks improved, not great, but better and that's good to see.

Martinez.jpg

This is the South Carolina game last year. Taylor's stance was not really ever the problem, which is all that is shown in either picture, this one or the above. It was all the things happening after the stance that were causing him problems. Big hopes coming into this season for the kid. Really hope his hard work pays off. I remember a photo months ago that showed quite an ugly side of Taylor's throwing motion. Dozens of Huskerboard members noted that the photo meant nothing and that the circumstances surrounding the photo left too much unknown. It makes me laugh. We will all know soon enough if things are going to work out for this team with Taylor at the helm.

UHFHLMZNIOYBORX.20120804181016.JPG

Actually he looks much better. Look where the ball is at. Holding the ball higher will help with his throwing motion. A little adjustment like that can make a huge change in his throws.