Jason Peter throws some crap at the wall.

NUpolo8

How can the fans of this team be satisfied with nothing less than a national championship, yet disregard then opinions of someone who was a member of the last Husker teams to do it? Of course he thinks the way they did it is the ONLY way to do it. Until we find something that works better and bring home the prize, i think hes right.

So only people that have won a championship ate allowed to have valid opinions? Cool f'ing story, bro. I wish I could speak my mind here

I don't really care for the mindset of JP but his voice drives me up the wall. So how about this for a solution... a filter that gives him the Stephen Hawking voice! Now he will sound as smart as he thinks he is (so everyone will think about his arguments rather than thinking he is just bashing the program) and I can listen to the entire show without needing a break during his rants. Everybody wins!

How can the fans of this team be satisfied with nothing less than a national championship, yet disregard then opinions of someone who was a member of the last Husker teams to do it? Of course he thinks the way they did it is the ONLY way to do it. Until we find something that works better and bring home the prize, i think hes right.

So only people that have won a championship ate allowed to have valid opinions? Cool f'ing story, bro. I wish I could speak my mind here

Didnt say that, i did say his opinion shouldn,t be dismissed as dumb, or out of touch, living in the past, etc. He has already done what every team since was trying to do! How much more valid can you get! Go ahead and speak your mind wont bother me a bit.
  • Fire 1

Jason Peter pretty much just lives in 90s dynasty era we had going. When he was on the spread I enjoyed his role in the show for a little while. Then I got really turned off by it, almost like he was acting.

No I haven't listened to his new show. I'm guessing at least once during the show it goes something like this.... "When I played for Charlie McBride back in the 90s, we worked our asses off everyday in practice to get that coveted blackshirt."

Exactly. The criticisms of Peter amount to disliking his style. That's perfectly fine, but any claims he isn't qualified to speak on the subject are erroneous.

Exactly. The criticisms of Peter amount to disliking his style. That's perfectly fine, but any claims he isn't qualified to speak on the subject are erroneous.

What I find annoying/arrogant about Peter is that he seems to believe that he is more qualified to FIX the issues then a Bo Pelini, or a John Papuchis, or a Tim Beck, etc..... Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but if that is his assumption then he is way off base. There is little doubt that he has some kind of hard feelings towards Bo and/or his staff.

Having said all that, it is his job to be loud, opinionated, and obnoxious; so let him do it....

What I find annoying/arrogant about Peter is that he seems to believe that he is more qualified to FIX the issues then a Bo Pelini, or a John Papuchis, or a Tim Beck, etc..... Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but if that is his assumption then he is way off base. There is little doubt that he has some kind of hard feelings towards Bo and/or his staff.

This describes about 100% of message board members after a loss.

This describes about 100% of message board members after a loss.

True, but even though he is involved in the business of sports' talk radio he should still attempt to carry a certain amount of respectability, credibility, and professionalism with the words that he speaks. I am also aware of the nature of the talk radio business, his words create buzz, which creates listeners, etc. Nonetheless, what he says shouldn't matter to us, or those involved with the Nebraska program.

I have nothing to say to defend the absolute meltdowns that occur on this board after a loss. They are frightening to say the least....

I don't think JP comes off as knowing more than the coaches. What he does is comment about how the teams of the 90's got things done, how the intensity of competition on the team came into play, and he does not see the same components with this current team. His criticism comes from the experiences he had when he played. One thing for sure, he and his team mates brought home the big prize. No one can argue with that. Maybe someone should be listening!

My head FB coach in college always told us he listened to the criticism, even from his wife because one can gain insight by taking a step back and analyzing what others see from the outside in. Obviously, the head coach is in charge, makes the final decisions and has to make sure all of the components work together for the eventual final goal. But, if he gets stuck in one mode, success may be hard to come by. Flexibility is the key!

Do not misconstrue what I am saying here. I am not advocating that Pelini or any of his staff take their cues from fans, media or radio talk show hosts. But, if the same subject comes up over and over, perhaps some scrutinizing may be in order. (Insert Barney Cotton here) Bill Callahan was not all that bad as an offensive head coach and recruiter. What he failed to do was get rid of his albatross of a defensive coordinator. His teams scored a lot of points. His defense literally sucked. I often wonder what kind of a team we would have had if Callahan would have Pelini as his defensive coordinator.

Constructive criticism is one thing. "Taylor Martinez will never be a good quarterback" (direct words from JP's mouth on the day that I stopped listening) is completely another. If he offered suggestions or things that players and coaches could work on or reasonably implement in the near future, that would be great. I would listen to that. But I simply cannot listen to his current persona. Let me know if he ever changes and maybe I'll tune back in.

Sharp & Peter A Morning Upgrade for 1620 AM

It's a little premature to cast a verdict on the KOZN-1620 AM radio's new morning show after two weeks, but so far, it's looking like a huge upgrade for "The Zone". For starters, I love having local sports talk on the AM drive. I've never understood why Omaha's sports talk radio stations have gone with the national shows in the morning. Mike and Mike, I kind of understand, but the revolving sewer of total tripe that Fox Sports flushes across the nation's radio waves makes it difficult to understand why nobody hasn't tried to go after the morning drive.

The new combination of Gary Sharp and Jason Peter have a lot more substance than their predecessors, Matt Schick and Nick Bahe. "Schick and Nick" sometimes seemed to veer towards goofball "Morning Zoo" radio, which some people seemed to enjoy. After a while, it got tiring though.

The real judge will be in September once football season starts. Neither Sharp nor Jason Peter are known for pulling their punches, so it'll be interesting to hear their takes once the season starts. Peter apparently had a reputation from his Lincoln radio days of being excessively negative, but so far, he's seemed to justify his criticism in his negative comments so far.

Speaking of Lincoln radio, Nick Bahe has found a new radio home in Lincoln on 93.7 FM "The Ticket" on the afternoon drive. (Is there a market for talking Creighton and Kansas basketball in Lincoln? I jest, I jest!) So essentially, Omaha traded Bahe to Lincoln for Jason Peter. I think that's a major upgrade for Omaha personally.

And I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that ESPN formally introduced Matt Schick as the primetime studio host on ESPNU during college football season on Saturday nights. Since I don't get ESPNU, I'll have to take others opinions about Schick's performance on the national stage.

LINK to blog