One Win by 2 doesn't mean Progress

I think you measure the improvement against teams such as Texas Tech and Oklahoma, Iowa State. Kansas and Missouri make you question, but overall there has been some improvement. I would think much more next year.

I tend to agree with Former on the bowl deal. It may end up costing the university to go to one of these low level bowls.

Personally, I would rather we did not go this year. I know the kids worked hard and want that holiday, but bowl standards really should be met. I remember ND turning down a bowl game due to their record.

But the number one worry on my part is who we would play. I have heard Florida State, Clemson, Tennessee and Boston College. Personally I do not think we would stand a chance against any of those teams. Could end up being more of an embarassment than anything. I am looking at it from the University and coaching staff side on this.

I would not want to stop the team from going to a bowl, but I truly do not feel we are at Nebraska bowl standards.

I am not a team basher, or Callahan hater. I just see this in the long run not being the best thing for the program.

But I will be at what ever bowl we go to, to support our team. JMO

From kchuskerfanatic on another thread:

Remember we gave Osborne over 20 years to win a title. Remember Osborne lost 7 bowl games in a row. Remember we would get blown out by the Florida teams. Remember losing to OU 6 or 7 years in a row. And HE inherited a NC team.

For those of you calling for Callahans head. I hope you recall these days. I for one would give him 10 years of 8-9 wins and a B12 CCG here and there. When did you all become so greedy? We DEFIED gravity for 40+ years. Sit back enjoy the ride, we soon will have a GOOD reason to tear down goalposts again.

Remember we gave Osborne over 20 years to win a title. Remember Osborne lost 7 bowl games in a row. Remember we would get blown out by the Florida teams. Remember losing to OU 6 or 7 years in a row. And HE inherited a NC team.

For those of you calling for Callahans head. I hope you recall these days. I for one would give him 10 years of 8-9 wins and a B12 CCG here and there. When did you all become so greedy? We DEFIED gravity for 40+ years. Sit back enjoy the ride, we soon will have a GOOD reason to tear down goalposts again.

:dis

We didn't give Solich this amount of time, why should we give BC this amount of time? I don't remember $ Byrne promising wins now and championships like Pud did either when Solich was named HC. Pud sh#t his own drawers when he fired Solich and hired BC. No way in hell does he deserve more years than what was offered in his contract. If NU is anywhere close to where we are now next year, I highly doubt he gets more than 4 years.

I still say, give BC his 6 years and fire Pud now. Hopefully, BC will get this mother turned around. But Pud has shown his great prowess with some of his decisions like the ones when he tried to hire Wannstadt and Nutt!

:dis

We didn't give Solich this amount of time, why should we give BC this amount of time? I don't remember $ Byrne promising wins now and championships like Pud did either when Solich was named HC. Pud sh#t his own drawers when he fired Solich and hired BC. No way in hell does he deserve more years than what was offered in his contract. If NU is anywhere close to where we are now next year, I highly doubt he gets more than 4 years.

I still say, give BC his 6 years and fire Pud now. Hopefully, BC will get this mother turned around. But Pud has shown his great prowess with some of his decisions like the ones when he tried to hire Wannstadt and Nutt!

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

first of all, the big twelve shares all of the bowl proceeds with all 12 teams. so when texas goes to the rose bowl and the pay out is 15-20 million guess what they get the same amount that baylor gets.

the cost of the trip to the bowl game gets subtracted from the pay out and any left over gets divided equally.

the year that notre dame denied a bowl request was because that it was a lower tier bowl game that the pay out was not going to be enough to cover the teams expenses. notre dame is an independent which means the proceeds or losses from a bowl game are thier shoulders allow not divided between 10-11 other teams.

now if NU was an independent and the university was going to loose money then there is an argument for not going to a game.

but when you are rebuilding a program and you can offset the cost with the bowl earnings from other schools then you have to reward your seniors and get the practice time for the younger players.

even if we play a school that is better than us who cares. it is the experience that is important. who would you want to play in a bowl game Akron, how would that help you judge the ability of your team.

how many schools turned down invites because they were going to play nebraska when we were on top?

a bowl game win or lose will do nothing but help the program.

That is your opinion and you are surely entitled to it.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2001. I do not see that that bowl game did the program any good other than the financial side. It did nothing for recruiting or the general public's opinion of Nebraska. I think in the media's eyes it hurt us way more than any good it did. I remember Tom losing many bowl games and it almost got him fired long before his first NC. Many were screaming he could not win a major game.

The media is a very powerful tool in recruiting. We are not nor is our staff very highly thought of currently. A blow out loss to Clemson or BC would really hurt recruiting I think.

If we are not able to play competively with Colorado, which is not even a top 40 team with their losses, what team would we play that would benefit the program.

I remember the tempest after the Independence Bowl. I remember the low numbers of fans at the game. I doubt Nebraska fans will follow this team to a low level bowl. Way more unrest this year than then.

Again I will spend my money to go and support the team. I love this staff and this team. It may even be one of my all time favorites. But I just do not see a silver lining out there.

Guys,

I just don't think that a bowl will "hurt" NU... I truly understand the argument of the media hurting/helping recruiting..... But, hell, the media is ripping NU as we speak !!!!! The damage is being done, regardless if we attend a bowl or not.

IMO, the 3-4 weeks of practice ALONE is enough reason to accept a bowl bid !!!

Combined with the excitement of the underclassmen, it would be devastating to this program if we were to decline a bid !!!!!

I am already a little concerned about possible transfers, but if NU would choose to stay home and not practice, instead of going to Orlando..... the young players may just bolt for sure..... They came to Lincoln to go to bowls, and to play against the top competition in the country.... If we go to the Champs bowl and play FSU, then the recruits get what NU had to offer !!!!

Once again, the additional practice and the added "spirit" (motivation) the warm weather vacation (bowl) are priceless for a team that is trying to rebuild

It's obvious we can hold our own against KSU, but those types of teams don't go bowling.

I thought we played T.T. even and they will be in a bowl game. Stayed with OKL and they to are going to a bowl and so should I.st who we beat.

These kids deserve to be in a bowl game because I'm sure they are hereing the same stuff as we talk about on this board. They might get their heads handed to them against a team like Fla.st but they have been fighting for this all year. This about them now. I hope they have a hell of a good time win or loose.

GBR!!!

Going bowling IS an improvement over last year. 

I guess that statement is debatable at best. I would say that if you actually watch the performance of the team on the field, they have made no progress in 21 games, and I think that the argument can be made that they have gotten worse in alot of areas.

IMO, pretty much no 6-5 team deserves to go to a bowl game. No props.

:yeah:wasted

At the risk of sounding wishy-washy, last year's 5-6 record was so disappointing that this year's 6-4 (so far) record seems like an improvement, but having the first 5 games at home and beating a sub-par Maine team didn't show me anything either. That said, does Nebraska belong in a bowl game? Of course they do. They're 6-4 and if LeKevin holds onto his last minute interception in the Texas Tech game, they're 7-3 going into Boulder. But the stompings they suffered in Missouri and Kansas are real causes for concern. It's one thing to lose to an improving team like Kansas on the road, but 40-15? Come on! It's obvious that these coaches can't inspire the team to win on the road. I say, give them their bowl game this year and judge the improvement next year. This year's schedule was way too easy. As it stands, I see only two wins next year (four if Pud gets a couple of patsies to fill the empty weeks). IMO the only way BC fixes that is if he dumps Norvell and Cosgrove and gets some people in here that can really put some fire into these kids. (I will never understand why they didn't even attempt to keep Pellini. Nothing ventured, Cosgrove gained.) If the Huskers can get into a bowl game with next year's schedule -and I don't care how they do it -that will be a sure sign of improvement, but with the schedule that they had this year, 6 wins really doesn't say very many positive things about this team. <_<

PS, NBCSPORTS.COM predicts NU to play in the Champ Sports Bowl 12/27 against Georgia Tech ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9999161/?pg=23...BowlProjections ) and while I'm throwing out interesting URL's, here's one you might be interested in... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10075356/

After reading that article on Callahan, I am begining to turn in favor of those that despise his coaching ethics.

You never lay the blame on the kids. Pathetic.

Who's going to be the head coach for Wisconsin? Makes me wonder why those "guys" were on that plane into Lincoln with me sporting the Badger gear.

Maybe Callahan doesn't plan on sticking around much longer...under his own agenda. :blink:

After reading that article on Callahan, I am begining to turn in favor of those that despise his coaching ethics.

You never lay the blame on the kids. Pathetic.

Who's going to be the head coach for Wisconsin? Makes me wonder why those "guys" were on that plane into Lincoln with me sporting the Badger gear.

Maybe Callahan doesn't plan on sticking around much longer...under his own agenda.  :blink:

LOL before you crucify Callahan, the guy took that out of context.This is what he actually said, this came after the kanasa game. Even callahan players say he takes to much of the blame.

"I'm going to do the best I can. That's how I've always responded to adversity," Callahan said. "Do I think it (my job) is safe? There is no security in this business. You do the best you can with the players you've got. You go to work and fight and compete and that's it. You look yourself in the mirror and say, 'I did everything I could to make a change in a program, in a culture, in the environment that we're dealing with."'