ESPNU is not impressed

Right now, I really only care about one thing: Taylor.

If he can improve, and he should given both more experience for him and more time for Beck to be with him, then this team wins more games. Period. Normally I wouldn't put so much emphasis on only one player, but we simply must execute the plays that are out there to be executed better and a big part of that is on Taylor because he's such a focus of this offense. A few more made plays here and there and we win more games last year and these opinions are all very different. Having an experienced returning QB should be a big advantage, and I'd like to hope it is.

They were talking about this on 1620 the Zone this afternoon. Michael and John (Bishop) were laughing at the fact that espnu had so much 'love' for Michigan State. Then they went on to talk about how Michigan State has lost a ton of players while Nebraska probably has more players returning this year than any other team in the B1G.

I say, fine. Dismiss us and while they are showering all of their praise on the folks they think will be above us, we will be the quiet storm. Then at the end of the season when we've won our conference and went to the BSC championship, THEN we can all just sit back and smile :) GO BIG RED!

• Fire 1

GUYS

guys.

Remember that ESPNU, like all TV networks, are all about ratings. There are simply no compelling storylines around Nebraska this offseason. It doesn't mean that we aren't a good team or don't have the potential to make noise during the season - it simply means that we don't make good preseason TV.

Calm the eff down. Also, very good comment by ladyhawke ^^

GUYS

guys.

Remember that ESPNU, like all TV networks, are all about ratings. There are simply no compelling storylines around Nebraska this offseason. It doesn't mean that we aren't a good team or don't have the potential to make noise during the season - it simply means that we don't make good preseason TV.

Calm the eff down. Also, very good comment by ladyhawke ^^

I agree, ESPN doesn't hate nebraska... We have no big time news to talk about... Rex is a highly underrated player, I'm sure if there was a "most underrated player" section in the show he would be mentioned.... Us as fans want Nebraska to be talked about all the time... In the 1990's if ESPN was what it is today we would be the main highlights, just like alabama, LSU (insert SEC schools here)... I too was a little pissed for the lack of mention, but then put it into perspective... We are good but not yet relevant in the big game (any BCS games) picture... until we break the streak it will be the same... ESPN is after winning records and big news... It is what gives them ratings and pays their bills... I can't blame them for that.

Nebraska plays football? Watching any of the ESPN coverage I would've had no idea. We don't have great storylines, but do your homework ESPN. They brought up no new information. Basically they just say "Taylor can't pass, defense was 'meh', and that Burkhead guy is pretty good." That's some awesome sports reporting; way to dig deep there. It's a shame they own sports, college football specifically.

So, I made a point to catch the ESPNU Big 10 preview. They spent very little time on the Huskers. After giving considerable time to Penn State (all the changes), Ohio State (Urban), Michigan (Denard), Wisky (2 time Big 10 champs, another transfer QB), and Michigan State (made their defense sound like it is best thing since sliced bread), they gave virtually no time to Nebraska. Basically said it was our second year in the Big 10 after coming in last year as a potential favorite. Mentioned we have a tough schedule and the analyst who was asked if we will do better this year than last said that we would not and we would not get 5 conference wins this year. Sheesh...I know there is that ESPN conspiracy theory and all ( :espnsucks: ) but they just sort of made us an afterthought with Minny and Iowa. I expected them to give us some more time and more of a here is how Nebraska can do well vs. here is how they will struggle. Instead under 30 seconds for our segment?

They talked up Monte Ball and Denard Robinson and the MSU defense. Also mentioned RB Bell at MSU as the next best back in the conference. Gave only a mention of Burkhead near the end.

I found it interesting that they picked the Big 10 as the unanimous second toughest conference behind the SEC.

Anyway, maybe it is a good thing that the national media is not expecting squat out of this year's team and just let the team do what it can. These other teams have huge expecations from the media...Robinson and Michigan, Ball and Wisky, and Urban at OSU (they think that team will win 10 games). Our highest expectations are from the fans which is only because we care so much. Maybe not having the national media attention will make us that much more hungry...I sure hope so!

I saw it too and thought, pfttt...

But then again, last year at this time most media people were in fact picking Nebraska to win the conference and we fell on our face. So it is somewhat understandable that they won't be back on our bandwagon until we actually prove we can win the conference by actually doing it.

On a completely separate note: Joey Galloway and Jason Sehorn are, BY FAR, the WORST on-air personalities I've ever seen. They have the kind of "insight" into college football that Dr.Suess does in the literary world. My apologies to Dr. Suess for lumping him into the same dung heap as Galloway and Sehorn. I listen to these guys talk and I swear to God I lose IQ points.