Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping allegations

knapplc

Looks like this whole USADA ruling against Lance Armstrong has had a dire affect on his Livestrong organization.

Or... You know.... not.

Livestrong donations skyrocket in wake of Lance Armstrong’s decision to stop fighting charges

Last week, after iconic American cyclist Lance Armstrong said he would no longer fight the charges brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, many wondered if Livestrong--the foundation for cancer survivors founded by the seven-time Tour de France winner and testicular cancer survivor--would suffer as a result.

It doesn't look like it.

On Friday, Armstrong said that donations to Livestrong were up 25 times over the day before. "Thank you thank you thank you!" he wrote on Twitter.

Doug Ulman, Livestrong's chief executive, told ESPN that the foundation had received $78,000 in unsolicited donations in the 24 hours following the announcement of Armstrong's decision. Compare that to Thursday, when Livestrong received just $3,200.

Mentioned it earlier, thanks for finding a source. I was far too lazy to do so.

• 4 months later...

Hmmm, is this the only Lance thread we have here? I couldn't find another one...

Anyway, I was just thinking on how it must eat at Lance that he resorted to cheating in the first place. The claims are that he made his 2009 comeback clean -- this is I think four years after his first retirement, mid-to-late 30s Lance, without drugs and after a long layoff. And he finished 3rd in the Tour de France. As determined and dedicated an athlete as he was, how many other Tour de France medals could he have won in that '99-'05 run? Maybe a gold here or there? Maybe multiple ones, in a row? I mean, who's to say, that he couldn't have achieved a fairly inspirational level of success anyway ... and he would have been no less the cancer-survivor hero he temporarily had become. Maybe a little. Not a lot.

Instead, he chose to skip that and cheat harder and better than anybody else, and then ruthlessly treat anybody and everybody who dared to question him. Very sad.

All Seven Of Lance Armstrong’s Tour De France Wins Would Now Go To Cyclists With Doping Scandals Of Their Own

1999: Alex Zülle (confessed to EPO use)

2000: Jan Ullrich (suspended from 2006 Tour; banned this year and stripped of all results from 2005 on)

2001: Jan Ullrich

2002: Joseba Beloki (kept out of 2006 Tour while under doping investigation, later cleared)

2003: Jan Ullrich

2004: Andreas Klöden (accused of illegal blood transfusion in the 2006 Tour)

2005: Ivan Basso (confessed to attempted doping, suspended)

The Golden Age IMO

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/4090

After watching the interview, it's clear Armstrong really isn't sorry - he's just sorry he got put on blast. One of the saddest parts in this whole story is the people he ruthlessly attacked, sued and won cases against who claimed he had been doping. He completely discredited these people for his own sake.

It's just pathetic, all the way around. I know he was competing against other dopers, so in my opinion, Lance Armstrong is still the seven time Tour de France champion. But any level of respect left after the litany of lies and the way he destroyed other people to protect his own skin.

It's just pathetic, all the way around. I know he was competing against other dopers, so in my opinion, Lance Armstrong is still the seven time Tour de France champion. But any level of respect left after the litany of lies and the way he destroyed other people to protect his own skin.

This is where I'm at with this, too. I've been watching Le Tour since the 80s and you always kinda "knew" that everyone was doping. It's no different with Armstrong, and I don't negatively judge him for that. But his actions in defense of his doping are reprehensible.

I had a lot of fun watching him win seven straight. A lot of that fun is ruined by how he treated those who questioned him. Sucks.

• Fire 1

I always liked the fact that Lance kicked sand in the face of the French. Thay are a nation of pantywaistes that will immediately throw up their hands upon hearing a single word of German uttered.

Unfortunately Armstrongis a nasty human being and has therefore ended up on my $hit list.

T_O_B

I always liked the fact that Lance kicked sand in the face of the French. Thay are a nation of pantywaistes that will immediately throw up their hands upon hearing a single word of German uttered.

Unfortunately Armstrongis a nasty human being and has therefore ended up on my $hit list.

T_O_B

Oh.

???

• 3 weeks later...