Deaf Three-Year-Old Not Allowed to Sign His Name Because It Violates Preschool’s Weapons Policy

Deaf Three-Year-Old Not Allowed to Sign His Name Because It Violates Preschool’s Weapons Policy

xlarge.jpg

A deaf preschooler in Grand Island, Nebraska, has been prohibited from signing his own name because school administrators believe the gesture he uses looks too much like a gun.

medium.jpg

"He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy," Hunter Spanjer's father Brian told Channel 10/11.

Hunter uses Signing Exact English or SEE — a form of manual communication that uses modified ASL handshapes in an effort to better mimic the spoken English language...

more at the link

All my life it seemed like everybody was afraid to say my name..And how many times do you need to state your name in school? You'd hope that "blazing pistols" wouldn't incite return fire, but you never know around the mean streets of GI..Maybe get Hunter a Hunter's safety patch or an Elmer Fudd cap he can point to..(Just trying to see the other viewpoint).

I don't necessarily agree with the school districts view..But I do have a habit of making an instant (kneejerk reaction?) judgement on crazy stuff like this, then spend the rest of my alotted time trying to figure out how/why they come up with the decisions they come up with, or what led them to this.

It does pose an interesting question (or four).

Like...If Hunter was your Son, would you change his name or come up with a nickname so he wouldn't be as likely to get shot by police later on in life?