Backup QB

Will Armstrong really want to redshirt if he has an opportunity to be in on those 20-30 plays? With Stanton coming, I'd venture to guess Armstrong will want any game experience he can get this year even if it is only 20-30 plays.

If we use Brion Carnes' playing time last year as a bench mark for this year, those 20-30 plays might actually be really high balling it. I mean, did Carnes even take 20 snaps last year? He only played in three games. Of the snaps I remember him taking they were almost entirely useless - he had two rushing attempts for a net loss of six yards and two passing attempts (which he completed) totaling 26 yards. If you're a player do you find that useful? Is it really worth wasting an entire year of football on a handful of meaningless plays in garbage time?

This is assuming Martinez stays healthy this year and we don't have to worry about who the starter is. But given Martinez does stay healthy, and using last years back up play as a bench mark, I think burning the redshirt would be a colossal mistake.

Ya but he has dropped to the 4th string QB, so how well do you think he would have done last year, and Taylor needed all the snaps he could get last year in a new offense. I expect to see alot of backups this year to build depth.

BC is 3rd and very close behind RK. At least for now but look for TA to move up if he continues to learn the offense.

If Martinez goes down, RK3 goes in as the 2. When was the last time NU had a walk-on QB taking meaningfull snaps? Not sure I am really comfortable with that.

I'm fine with it. In fact if we get down abunch and are forced into a passing attack it wouldn't surprise me to see RK in the game to try and catch us back up.

My hope is that we use the non-conference part of the schedule and actually DEVELOP a back-up QB. There have been too many years when we let the 1st string QB get all the snaps and then have no confidence in anyone else. In TM's first year, he got hurt and Bo had no confidence to bring in Zac Lee. So we played with a hurt QB and lost critical games. In TM's second year, he got hurt again (turf toe) and we continued to play him almost 100% of the time. If we don't develop a reliable back-up I fear this will be another re-play where we are trying to win games with a QB who isn't 100%.

My hope is that we use the non-conference part of the schedule and actually DEVELOP a back-up QB. There have been too many years when we let the 1st string QB get all the snaps and then have no confidence in anyone else. In TM's first year, he got hurt and Bo had no confidence to bring in Zac Lee. So we played with a hurt QB and lost critical games. In TM's second year, he got hurt again (turf toe) and we continued to play him almost 100% of the time. If we don't develop a reliable back-up I fear this will be another re-play where we are trying to win games with a QB who isn't 100%.

Lee was as hurt as TMart and wasn't much better of a runner. I don't care how good a passer you are when your arm goes numb after a pass for up to 10 minutes you aren't going to be very effective.

I'd like to see Beck some up with some mad scientist offensive gadget set with RK3, T-Mart and Rex all in the same backfield. It would be worth putting those guys on the field at the same time just to see the unnerved look of the other team's DC. :lol:

I know the perfect one. Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass.

Exactly! I love it when the coaches pull stuntz like that! :lol:

• Fire 1

Year after year I wonder the same thing. Why don't we get snaps to the backup QB when we are playing weaker teams? One of the best coaches for doing this--and it pains me to say it--is Gary Pinkel. He does a great job of getting his backup QB into the game for at least a series or two. As a result he always enters the season with a QB who has at least some game experience.

Year after year I wonder the same thing. Why don't we get snaps to the backup QB when we are playing weaker teams? One of the best coaches for doing this--and it pains me to say it--is Gary Pinkel. He does a great job of getting his backup QB into the game for at least a series or two. As a result he always enters the season with a QB who has at least some game experience.

We did.... when we had big leads. We also played our backups, when we had viable ones. Last year, we had neither.