Bo's Philosophy: Knowledge over Athleticism

Enhance, that play by Baker was closer to 60 yards away, and anyway, tackles are sort of a meaningless statistic. There are all sorts of reasons why a guy may not get many tackles in a game - for instance, maybe they attacked the sides of the field more in their running game, etc.

If two guys are close to even, you play the veteran who has been there before. I think that's a no-brainer! Bring the rookie along slowly, but he has to learn the ropes and go through the process first. Get his feet wet and bring him along slowly if you can, to avoid freshman mistakes on the field.

Fair enough, defensive tackles aren't supposed to be leading the team in tackles, but it's still a pretty eye-opening statistic given he had 8 the week before. Our main contributing DT's combined for six tackles of the 82 we made. Six - against two redshirt freshman o-linemen and a true freshman. Regardless of scheme, that's pretty bad, no?

Pretty bad, I would say extremely bad. I'm a Bo supporter, but this is now all his own recruits and I don't think we should see this much of a drop off. The backups should know the schemes as well as the starters by now. They have had two to three years doing the same drills. To say that they shouldn't be seeing more playing time, doesn't make much sense. Sometimes heart comes into play, and maybe some of these backups just might have a little more of it, if they get a chance to show it in an actual game. I don't know what Imani Cross was doing sitting on the sidelines, when we needed 1-2 yards last game. He is only avg 6.6 a carry, and every thing I have seen from him when he runs straight ahead, is the line moves the way hes going.

If they don't know the "scheme" by now, we are in for a long season.

GBR!!!

Enhance, that play by Baker was closer to 60 yards away, and anyway, tackles are sort of a meaningless statistic. There are all sorts of reasons why a guy may not get many tackles in a game - for instance, maybe they attacked the sides of the field more in their running game, etc.

If two guys are close to even, you play the veteran who has been there before. I think that's a no-brainer! Bring the rookie along slowly, but he has to learn the ropes and go through the process first. Get his feet wet and bring him along slowly if you can, to avoid freshman mistakes on the field.

Fair enough, defensive tackles aren't supposed to be leading the team in tackles, but it's still a pretty eye-opening statistic given he had 8 the week before. Our main contributing DT's combined for six tackles of the 82 we made. Six - against two redshirt freshman o-linemen and a true freshman. Regardless of scheme, that's pretty bad, no?

I don't know, actually. Maybe they just never attacked the middle, and kept getting it to guys in space. In which case you'd expect the LBs to get most of the tackles as a matter of course. Or maybe run-supporting safeties, corners, and DEs.

In the old days we use to take those players that we were trying to develop and have them in there for a handful of plays during ball game just to gain experience & give the starters a breather and gave coaches chances to remind starters of things if they saw something on the field that wasn't right. Subbing in players helped build the players confidence, kept them hungry & energized and got them game experience and built depth.

I don't know, actually. Maybe they just never attacked the middle, and kept getting it to guys in space. In which case you'd expect the LBs to get most of the tackles as a matter of course. Or maybe run-supporting safeties, corners, and DEs.

I'm not sure of the exact percentage of plays UCLA ran between the tackles, but I would wager a guess that it was at least 20 times they ran a variation of some play up the middle.

But overall, there's no denying the line play is terrible, as I'm sure you'd agree. I did a little number crunching here - according to Huskers.com, we made 82 tackles (including tackles on turnovers). Of those 82 tackles, 23 (or 28 percent) were made by linemen. The rest were made by linebackers or defensive backs. Again, we can argue that our scheme is built to give backers the most opportunities to make tackles, but we only managed 7 TFL's and three sacks. Only 10 of the 94 plays they ran lost yards. 10.

I realize we were discussing Baker and not the overall line, but I thought they were interesting stats to bring up.

Does anyone know what defensive changes they are making to get more speed on the defense? Huskers Illustrated said they were doing something.

Trading defenses with Alabama may be the only way to do that at this point

they can not do that. all those players would have to sit out for a year. then we would have no defense at all for an entire year. sorry, bro, that is just not going to happen.

Does anyone know what defensive changes they are making to get more speed on the defense? Huskers Illustrated said they were doing something.

they can not do that. all those players would have to sit out for a year. then we would have no defense at all for an entire year. sorry, bro, that is just not going to happen.

If only we were Wisconsin

this seems to have already happened. :dunno