Compton "Throwing the Bones"

Bowfin

The ONLY reason this wasn't the worst defensive showing EVER by a Nebraska defense in yards allowed is because UCLA had a quarterback that fell over backwards twice in the victory formation due to a sprained ankle. Otherwise, he takes a normal knee and UCLA doesn't lose those yards and this defense is responsible for the most yardage EVER given up by Nebraska in history.

So whenever I see a Nebraska Cornhusker "throwing the bones", I will relive Will Compton high stepping around the field, doing just that in this game, oblivious to what went on the ten plays before and clueless as to what would happen the ten plays after his celebrations.

I know the referees can penalize for excessive celebration, but Compton should have been flagged for irrational celebration...what's fifteen more yards in that game?

Are you serious?

Our defense was fighting to keep us in that game. Which they did, up until the end when we handed them that turnover deep in our own territory.

I appluad the defense for having spirit and not giving up even after getting hit in the mouth. They were right to get amped up after every big fourth quarter stop. Without that fire, we lay down and give the game up. We lost, in the end, but we went down swinging.

• Fire 2

Good grief! He's a Husker defensive player! What else is he going to do when he makes a great play!! That's our tradition here! He was excited!! When you're excited you don't stop and think, 'Hmmm. I might not play very well in the next plays so I have to be sure not to offend anyone by throwing the bones.' Sorry but give him a break. I also think he played well. Hang in there Wil!

I thought Compton played a good game.

He is also being mentioned as a possible Big Ten Defensive player of the year.

http://www.athlonspo...-power-rankings

Did you watch the game? Compton did not play a good game. He made a few plays here and there, but for the most part he was out of position, getting torched in coverage and getting blocked out of the play. He did not play like the "undisputed leader" of our defense, like we've been force fed to believe all offseason. I completely agree with the OP, it was flat out embarrassing to watch him get up and pound his chest like he was some force of nature after getting scorched for over 600 yards of offense.

• Fire 5

:rolleyes:

Seroiusly. Enough is enough. Get over it.

I didn't say it's a bad memory. I actually got a laugh out of it, in a perverse, uncharitable way, small person sort of way. Kind of like watching those kids on skateboards in those FAIL videos on YouTube. They set themselves up to be the center of attention, not knowing that the next 30 seconds will make a mockery of their assumptions of what will happen.

My point is that Compton and company needed to be concentrating on what was going to happen the NEXT play, rather than the LAST one. He can throw the bones all he wants after the win...

Well, considering that up to that final pick and score, we were neck-and-neck and fighting for the win, I'm not sure how anybody could rationally criticize players for showing fire at that point in time.

Actually, even if we were down 63-0, I don't see what is wrong about players showing fire when they make plays, as opposed to giving lackluster body language, but I will admit those are different situations and different discussions.

God help you if you ever, EVER post anything regarding lack of fire by our defensive players. I will be keeping tabs. :thumbs

You do that for me, okay?

I am all about competency and I ascribe zero value to "fire". This isn't figure skating, so there are no style points awarded for a big smile and making eye contact with the fans and judges. Compton did more celebrating during that defensive train wreck of a game than Lavonte David did in his whole career at Nebraska.

Well, considering that up to that final pick and score, we were neck-and-neck and fighting for the win, I'm not sure how anybody could rationally criticize players for showing fire at that point in time.

Actually, even if we were down 63-0, I don't see what is wrong about players showing fire when they make plays, as opposed to giving lackluster body language, but I will admit those are different situations and different discussions.

Zoogies, there is something to be said about acting as if you've 'done it before', if you will. I don't have a problem once or twice getting fired up, especially if it's an extraordinary play.

But to celebrate for something you are already tasked with doing in the first place? I mean, do you get up, throw the bones, and dance around whenever you successfully complete your expected tasks as Moderator of these boards? :)