2009 Big 12 Championship TEXAS vs NEBRASKA

Yeah, I think the extra distance back that our D-line lines up is something we started doing even before Kaz came. I've been wondering why we do it. It doesn't seem to be working. Or if it is working, I'd hate to think of what we'd look like without the extra 2' or 3' of gap. :dunno

The theory of lining up a yard off the ball is to give the DL time to read and react to where the ball is going. The reason we didn't do it in 2009 was because Suh could take on two OL, still make his read, and then react tackling for a loss. Lining up off the line, the coaching staff recognized we don't have much on the DL and was trying to help them as much as possible. If they make the correct read and react, we only give up a yard or two. The two gap assignments mean the DL has to first read to see where the ball is going rather than just heading up field full steam ahead. The biggest problem with it is there just aren't a lot of quality college DL with the ability to do so. If you really want to see how horrible it can look, watch a few high school games where high school coaches ask high school DL to do it.

The theory of lining up a yard off the ball is to give the DL time to read and react to where the ball is going. The reason we didn't do it in 2009 was because Suh could take on two OL, still make his read, and then react tackling for a loss. Lining up off the line, the coaching staff recognized we don't have much on the DL and was trying to help them as much as possible. If they make the correct read and react, we only give up a yard or two. The two gap assignments mean the DL has to first read to see where the ball is going rather than just heading up field full steam ahead. The biggest problem with it is there just aren't a lot of quality college DL with the ability to do so. If you really want to see how horrible it can look, watch a few high school games where high school coaches ask high school DL to do it.

I guess the theory has been shown not to work in application.

By the way, I also re-watched parts of games from 2010, and the DL did not line up off the LOS.

By the way, I also re-watched parts of games from 2010, and the DL did not line up off the LOS.

The reason we didn't do it in 2010 probably has a lot more to do with the staff believing Crick was the next Suh.

The reason we didn't do it in 2010 probably has a lot more to do with the staff believing Crick was the next Suh.

IMO it had more to do with having the best secondary in the country, so putting them on islands and winning everytime allowed him to let the dline bull-rush and let lavonte roam free.