Should Cross have redshirted?

RexIsMyDogg

Freshmen that can play, need to play, it helps recruiting. Stoops says he only recruits players that can play immediately, not saying all will, but if he feels they need a redshirt he passes on them. We need to get to that level, that is what seperates the top teams from us now. They recruit and play freshmen, keeping the pipeline open to young kids that have that talent level.

He has done a good job, his name is known, and others see him getting a chance. Our concern should be what can we do to win, not what can we do to make the player better by development. We want the ones that are ready to play. If and when they aren't then the development year is for them.

I think the more freshman play the better this team will get, until we reach the 90's level, Still a long ways off.

Absolutely agree with the bold. Don't recruit projects........recruit producers.

You get freshman playing and look at the experience you have senior year. 2 deep across the roster. No drop off from the 1's to the 2's. Vets helping and teaching. Everyone contributing. Sounds like a recipe for success or the 1990's at NU.

Also lets recruits know they will play, not that "they might". Look at the Gamecocks with Lattimore and Clowney to name one team. Sammy Watkins at Clemson etc.....

What if Bo had a year like Stoops did in 2009? Half the board would be calling for his head...

Imani can be used in situations that warrent a big strong back for short yardage. Like 3rd and 1's behind a fullback. Like goal line situations. He is a beast, and has that chance to make that 3rd and 1 into a 30-40 yrd gain.

God this is a nice problem to have. :thumbs

you are right there.

We haven't had this issue in sometime and it tells us the talent at the i back spot is getting deeper each year.

I thought he should have red shirted, but with Burkhead having knee issues i am happy we didn't, he filled the power/change of pace back nicely last Saturday

As long as he gets enough carries that he doesn't end up transferring, I'm fine with it.

Seems like the guys who don't redshirt are more apt to transfer (A. Green, C. Green, T. Moore) because they won't lose a year of eligibility.

I think that might be part of the reason Rome came back, and why Carnes hasn't transferred, even though so many people seemed so sure he would.

I get the impression Klachko's situation was a different kind of deal, where he was basically shown the door.

To me, it's not that he can't come in and contribute right away, it's that we're not going to get enough out of him to make it worth while. He's #4 on the chart and, even though he's looked good, is unlikely to move up.

There was a similar thread before the first game and I predicted he'd only get 20-25 carries for the year. He's already at 18 but some of that is probably because of Rex's injury and I would think there would be fewer coming - both because Rex is back and we won't be going as deep in conference play.

The question is would you rather have him get 30-40 carries this year or 200 four years from now?

We're still evolving you guys. It's our second year in the B1G.. not to mention Bo's fifth year as a head coach.

Having 87 running backs ready to fire at your face at any given time may be a part of the strategy. Who's to say that we don't recruit a large number of running backs in the future?

Get a stable and run everyone you can. Having an IB who is 100% the entire time is a big deal, and very hard to stop.

What also helps recruiting is Ws, and if we have more options to get Ws now by playing more people, do it.

Also,

Cross will be a tremendous asset to have in a B1G type conference. Ron Dayne much? Having a bruiser will only make Nebraska harder to defend.

And yeah, I loved it when he lowered his shoulder and put down those defenders who tried to touch him.

According to Bo the player usually decides if he redshirts or not. I kind of want all our freshman to redshirt. Freshman should only play if there are glaring depth issues and they are desperately needed.

I think if the coaching staff is open and honest with the kid and tells him he will or won't get playing time, it should always be up the the player. There are no guarantees, and if our recruiting continues to improve, why redshirt and then get tossed in with another group of young studs that come along. Make your mark now, unless you feel a you need a year of experience and training. Bottom line, is should be up to the kid, with honest advice from the coaching staff.