Should Cross have redshirted?

RexIsMyDogg

If you have RBs who have the ability to play as true freshmen and the potential to see the field a few times a game, IMO it's a good decision not to redshirt him. That's the situation that we see with Cross.

Imani has looked like a grown man when he has been in. He always falls forward, which I love. And when I saw his cut that made the Arky State defender look silly toward the end of Saturday's game, I hopped off of the couch and got pumped because at that moment he showed how multidimensional he can be as an every-down back. He has the ability to pulverize B1G defenses for the next few years.

I think it was smart.

No guarantee no one else gets hurt, or maybe even 2 guys!

Plus, he's not really a home run threat. Like others have said, he's a change of pace. He's shown he doesnt fumble, so instead of having to pound Rex or AA late in games we're up by a couple score in.

Next year, Rex is gone. We'll have THREE backs w great experience. If one goes down, we won't be sweating it. Imagine if AA had shirted last year, Green quits team, and Heard was around 75-100 total carries. Then this yr Rex gets hurt and we only have one guy on the team w just minimal experience?

It was smart to play him. Competition.

Freshmen that can play, need to play, it helps recruiting. Stoops says he only recruits players that can play immediately, not saying all will, but if he feels they need a redshirt he passes on them. We need to get to that level, that is what seperates the top teams from us now. They recruit and play freshmen, keeping the pipeline open to young kids that have that talent level.

He has done a good job, his name is known, and others see him getting a chance. Our concern should be what can we do to win, not what can we do to make the player better by development. We want the ones that are ready to play. If and when they aren't then the development year is for them.

I think the more freshman play the better this team will get, until we reach the 90's level, Still a long ways off.

Absolutely agree with the bold. Don't recruit projects........recruit producers.

You get freshman playing and look at the experience you have senior year. 2 deep across the roster. No drop off from the 1's to the 2's. Vets helping and teaching. Everyone contributing. Sounds like a recipe for success or the 1990's at NU.

Also lets recruits know they will play, not that "they might". Look at the Gamecocks with Lattimore and Clowney to name one team. Sammy Watkins at Clemson etc.....

This is the biggest reason that Carl screwed us on the Dline. He thought he could build anyone into Sue so he choose a lot of "project guys" so he could say "see look how great I am." He pass on a few guys that could really be helping us now because they were already playing at a high level and he thought they didn't have as much room to improve.

Freshmen that can play, need to play, it helps recruiting. Stoops says he only recruits players that can play immediately, not saying all will, but if he feels they need a redshirt he passes on them. We need to get to that level, that is what seperates the top teams from us now. They recruit and play freshmen, keeping the pipeline open to young kids that have that talent level.

He has done a good job, his name is known, and others see him getting a chance. Our concern should be what can we do to win, not what can we do to make the player better by development. We want the ones that are ready to play. If and when they aren't then the development year is for them.

I think the more freshman play the better this team will get, until we reach the 90's level, Still a long ways off.

This is exactly what I was thinking. When we sit down and talk to our recruits, we can show them that if you perform you will play.

I liked how Cross looked immediately for the O-Line after his TD. And the O-line were the first to arrive to celebrate. That is a GOOD sign. It reminds me of Correll Buckhalter staying out on the field with the O-line during a TO rather than head to the sidelines with all the other skill guys in a game I saw in 2000. I loved that.

With that said. Cross should have redshirted.

I am glad he didn't redshirt.

Right now he looks like a really good freshman usually does. He runs well but tentative at the same time. With his size and strength, I am overly excited about him running when he finally realizes that he can lay the wood to college players. I would hate to be that safety who has to try to bring him down if he breaks through the line.

Also, there are rumblings that we will have Rex and Ameer in the back field at the same time. If we do that a lot, then they will need rest and we have two more on the side lines (Heard, Cross) to give them rest.

I DO NOT want him switched to LB. That would be along the lines of switching Stein from Offense to Defense. We would be taking him out of his natural position and putting him in one that he can be good at but not great.