Defense

I really really wish we played a scheme more like what Atlanta played last night against Denver. I know....everything looks good when it works. But, I believe we have the players to play an agressive zone blitz defense out of either a 3-4 or a 4-3.

That was simply fun to watch. When the O line and QB have no clue where the pressure is going to come from on any given play, it really helps everything else work instead of rushing the same 4 guys the same way almost every play.

I agree I think with the personal we have a 3-4 at least part of the time is a good way to go. Problem with the 3-4 is we don't have a true NT outside of true freshman Valentine. Randle and Peat Jr, would have to due for now. Ends being probably Carter, and Steinkuhler with maybe Meredith Cameron and Ankrah in the mix. your smallest DE's Martin and Moss would have to move to Inside linebacker. Martin, and Compton would have to start of course. OLB would be a combination of Fisher, Whaley, Pirman, and Santos. Man this is really a mess right now with Anderson going down.

I really really wish we played a scheme more like what Atlanta played last night against Denver. I know....everything looks good when it works. But, I believe we have the players to play an agressive zone blitz defense out of either a 3-4 or a 4-3.

That was simply fun to watch. When the O line and QB have no clue where the pressure is going to come from on any given play, it really helps everything else work instead of rushing the same 4 guys the same way almost every play.

That was one aggressive defense. After game ATL said they did a great job of hiding and disguising blitzes. Obvious after 3 INT's on first 3 series IIRC.

For an exhibition on how to tackle see SF 49's. Those guys were laying the wood like Lumberjacks.

This would not help us stop the run. The NFL is not the B1G. Eric Martin does have a set of skills that a creative coach could use. He can come off the edge or move to inside LB and cover better than Compton. He needs to be on the field every snap.

This whole "Big 10 power offense" stuff is so overrated. Yes, I at one time bought into it as well. There is just as much spread in the Big 10 as any other conference.

This would not help us stop the run. The NFL is not the B1G. Eric Martin does have a set of skills that a creative coach could use. He can come off the edge or move to inside LB and cover better than Compton. He needs to be on the field every snap.

This whole "Big 10 power offense" stuff is so overrated. Yes, I at one time bought into it as well. There is just as much spread in the Big 10 as any other conference.

I think the B1G has changed a lot over the last 2 years with new coaches and the addition of us.

True, but there's also a greater emphasis on pass/rush balance than in our former slum of a conference. We'd see maybe two or three teams that attempted a balanced offense (e.g. Oklawhora, Texass, AtM, Kitties), per se--the rest would pass to set up the run (e.g. Okie Lite, Texass Tech, Mizzery). The others...well, they'd just throw feces at a wall to see what would stick, usually.

You're right though, that the 'Big 10 power offense' hasn't show up, save for last year, when it seemed that Wisconsin had it in spades.

An aggressive zone blitz defense can be very affective against the run. Against a run team you just keep more people at the line but you still use the same scheme to hide who is staying.

For instance, one play I remember against Denver, Atlanta was showing 3-4 front but all 7 were at the line. (3 down and 4 up). At the snap, the four aggressively went back into pass coverage. Against a run defense, you would just drop back maybe two which would leave 6 defenders against the run at the line. The two dropping back then become LBs to pursue a play.

An aggressive zone blitz defense can be very affective against the run. Against a run team you just keep more people at the line but you still use the same scheme to hide who is staying.

For instance, one play I remember against Denver, Atlanta was showing 3-4 front but all 7 were at the line. (3 down and 4 up). At the snap, the four aggressively went back into pass coverage. Against a run defense, you would just drop back maybe two which would leave 6 defenders against the run at the line. The two dropping back then become LBs to pursue a play.

I get you. Yes Wisconsin was very "conventional" as the word is used. Very pro like. But as far as the percpeption of 2 backs and tight ends all across the board goes, it's pretty obvious that is just not done. Even Wiscy us alot of one back wides. Which leads me to now believe that our so-labeled "innovative" peso (which all that is is a glorified nickel/dime) would be just fine in this league. Our personnel is the problem more than anything right now. And that also leads into the poor tackling. I think we'll be fine as the year progresses.