Direction of program in regards to recruiting and competing...

Moustache

It comes down to winning games. If Nebraska wins games, then there is no reason they can't recruit with the likes of Michigan, Ohio St., and the "daunting" SEC schools as well..... The OP was thoughtful, and well put, but it is a very narrow minded opinion, that doesn't look too far into the past, or too far into the future.... The OP seemed to have the assumption that Nebraska, and the B1G should accept the SEC for what it CURRENTLY is. I don't know if many of us can speak for the other B1G schools, but I promise you that as Nebraska fans, we EXPECT our team to get back to the level where we smack around the best programs. Yes, even the USC's, Florida's, and Alabama's of the world.

There is no reason Nebraska can't return to greatness, our school's location is not something new in the last decade. Winning takes care of everything. If we win, we get the best players, and become the best team.

The SEC can be beat (proof below):

top20_frazierrun.jpg72441368_display_image.jpg?1299013019

62-24

• Fire 1

So let me get this strait....

little ol Nebraska just can't compete with the sec, Texas and USC so little ol Nebraska should just be satisfied with competing for conference championships and leave the NC to the big boys.

Pardon me.......I need to go puke.

I don't think that's what he said..................I think that's what you wanted to take from it.

• Fire 2

FWIW, this is from an outsider's perspective. (LSU fan)

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

Welcome to the board. I pretty much agree with you. If we can maintain our recruiting and stay in the top 25 every year we'll be able to compete with anyone.

I just wish we could drastically oversign players and summarily cut the ones who don't pan out from our roster like certain unnamed (cough.....Alabama and LSU......cough) schools habitually do.

:P

I think there's a snowball effect either way depending on what you show recruits. Location has little to do with it unless you're in a really dismal place, which isn't the case at NU. Recruits want to play with a winner and for a coach who knows what he's doing. If you look at the situation and results, KSU Coach Snyder is probably one of the all-time best.

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

Welcome to the board. I pretty much agree with you. If we can maintain our recruiting and stay in the top 25 every year we'll be able to compete with anyone.

I just wish we could drastically oversign players and summarily cut the ones who don't pan out from our roster like certain unnamed (cough.....Alabama and LSU......cough) schools habitually do.

I think you mean pay them under the table like the SEC.

We have plenty of talent on this team. Both sides of the ball.

82467223.gif

Yes, and ole Mr Rogers was a Navy Seal, and killed several men in that vocation, and he was highly decorated as well. The reason he always wore the sweaters was to cover his tatoos. A great American with great swagga as you say!!!

We have plenty of talent on this team. Both sides of the ball.

82467223.gif

Yes, and ole Mr Rogers was a Navy Seal, and killed several men in that vocation, and he was highly decorated as well. The reason he always wore the sweaters was to cover his tatoos. A great American with great swagga as you say!!!

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Misconception eliminated.

I think you mean pay them under the table like the SEC.

close - exept the SEC doesn't even have to bother keeping it under the table

little ol Nebraska just can't compete with the sec, Texas and USC so little ol Nebraska should just be satisfied with competing for conference championships and leave the NC to the big boys.

Not at all what I mean. WHat I meant was, in terms of recruiting, you guys are not gonna compete for the same guys. You need a solid coach who can develop players and scout REALLY good 3 stars. When you start winning, you'll get more 4 stars. BUT, you guys are never going to CONSISTENTLY get a top 3-5 class. I absolutely think NU can compete for the NC with the right coaching and system.

Not at all what I mean. WHat I meant was, in terms of recruiting, you guys are not gonna compete for the same guys. You need a solid coach who can develop players and scout REALLY good 3 stars. When you start winning, you'll get more 4 stars. BUT, you guys are never going to CONSISTENTLY get a top 3-5 class. I absolutely think NU can compete for the NC with the right coaching and system.

Don't defend yourself to him. Your post wasn't demeaning - it was an honest opinion. Some people just like to argue here.

I don't believe this is true. If we show that we're capable of playing Top 10 ball then recruits will be drawn here just like they are to West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, or anywhere else. The notion that Lincoln is some hick town with wagons and injun attacks is easily dispelled with one visit or just a look online. With two top D linemen and two top LB's on board right now (I don't know whether we have them and don't know it??), we'd have beat UCLA and everyone would be talking about a potential NC. I think we took a hit when two of the D coaches decided to spend their time chasing girls instead of recruits.

Welcome too the board.

I like you already. This is a good post and a lot of what you say is very true. I think we can do really well in years were we are winning 10 plus games a season and sign a top 10 class out of the blue, but most years i think are going too be like you said.