Offensive Line

The point is, the offense covered their the points they gave up with the field goal.

To the original point on the offensive line. I was thinking about this after the Wisconsin game.

One big thing that tells me our O line is pretty dang good is all the comments about how great our RBs are this year. Contrast that with how everyone thought Ball was all world last year and this year he's looking much more human. Difference??? O lines.

Now we can agree. :thumbs

But it's pretty difficult for a defense to cover a score they gave up with one of their own. c'mon now. That's just asking for too much aint it?

How come nobody's giving props to John Garrison? He was brought in to help Barney since BC wasn't getting the job done. Now everyone's praising Barney like he can coach all of a sudden. It seems to me that Garrison's the reason for the OL improvement.

Because he's a graduate assistant. He ASSISTS the implementation of the Coaches technique. If he taught them something different from what Barney is teaching them, he'd be gone for insubordination.

He's teaching them what Barney wants taught. PERIOD.

Do you guys really not know how this works? it's like a manager and his/her underling...you follow policy and procedure. If you don't, you're fired. It's a pretty simple thing to grasp.

Actually, Garrison was an actual coach hire (listed as assistant offensive line coach), and that Stai is the grad assistant/intern.

I dont know how that changes your fact of having to teach Barney's philosophies, but being listed as an Assistant position coach, I would assume Garrison's teachings are consistent with Barney's techiniques.

Actually, Garrison was an actual coach hire (listed as assistant offensive line coach), and that Stai is the grad assistant/intern.

I dont know how that changes your fact of having to teach Barney's philosophies, but being listed as an Assistant position coach, I would assume Garrison's teachings are consistent with Barney's techiniques.

Ahh cool. didn't know that. Like you said though, it doesn't change much. Barney is the one in charge...his line, his technique, his philosophy.

When a line does bad...it is his fault. THUS, when a line does good...it is also his fault.

I knew it wouldn't take long before someone injects logic into this conversation! :P

My post isn't intended to kidnap the thread which is talking more about Barney than the O Line itself. One thing I've noticed is the snap of the ball. Jackson cradles the ball in his hand....looks between his legs at Taylor to see when he is ready. TM gives him a signal.....a stamp of the foot or something else...Justin looks up and snaps the ball on the first count 99% of the time. Am I seeing this wrong? Doesn't the D have an advantage when they know when the snap will be made? Are we waiting for the appropriate time when we need a first down desperately to catch a DE anticipating the count? Thoughts?

My post isn't intended to kidnap the thread which is talking more about Barney than the O Line itself. One thing I've noticed is the snap of the ball. Jackson cradles the ball in his hand....looks between his legs at Taylor to see when he is ready. TM gives him a signal.....a stamp of the foot or something else...Justin looks up and snaps the ball on the first count 99% of the time. Am I seeing this wrong? Doesn't the D have an advantage when they know when the snap will be made? Are we waiting for the appropriate time when we need a first down desperately to catch a DE anticipating the count? Thoughts?

I have wondered this too. If so, once again it shows how much they have improved. Even when the defense knows the snap count, the online still gets it done.

I have wondered this too. If so, once again it shows how much they have improved. Even when the defense knows the snap count, the online still gets it done.

I would think it probably has something to do with this being Jackson's first year ever actually snapping the ball.

I'll take him being extra cautious and actually getting Taylor the ball than trying to get cute with the D and pulling a Caputo and putting the ball on the ground. :lol:

This thread is just flat-out amazing.

We play a BCS team on the road, score 30 points yet lose the game. So of course, most of the posters blame the offense.

Wow.

no one is blaming the offense. all we are saying is that the offense could have won it for us. you know, like how in 2009 the defense won some games for us, or could have won it for us against va. tech.

Ahh cool. didn't know that. Like you said though, it doesn't change much. Barney is the one in charge...his line, his technique, his philosophy.

When a line does bad...it is his fault. THUS, when a line does good...it is also his fault.

But also, after reading Garrison's profile on Huskers.com, he was a GA here in 2008-2010 before he was hired on full-time. That I did not know. I wonder if the same thing's going to happen with Ganz for a legit QB coach.

But also, after reading Garrison's profile on Huskers.com, he was a GA here in 2008-2010 before he was hired on full-time. That I did not know. I wonder if the same thing's going to happen with Ganz for a legit QB coach.

I hope Ganz is tugging on Zach Taylor's ear about being a QB coach!

We play a BCS team on the road, score 30 points yet lose the game. So of course, most of the posters blame the offense.

Wow.

no one is blaming the offense. all we are saying is that the offense could have won it for us. you know, like how in 2009 the defense won some games for us, or could have won it for us against va. tech.

there are 0 similarities between this years offense and the 2009 offense. NONE. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

He's not comparing the offenses. He's saying our 09 defense won us some games like this years offense should be able to

Wow.

there are 0 similarities between this years offense and the 2009 offense. NONE. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

that is what i like to call a non sequitur.

I would like to say that Barney Cotton is the offensive line coach and he's done a good job this year. For all of you saying he can't coach...eat some crow.

Sorry dev but I'm not going to get on Cotton's grundle quiet as easily as you. We're five games into the season with the best competition from the conference coming in the next five weeks. I'll give credit where credit is due - we're doing well. We've had bad stretches (fourth quarter of UCLA is a good example) as well as the first half against Wisconsin. But, overall, the evidence of our success is in the numbers we've put up rushing and the amount of time Martinez has had to make plays.

But, again, the real test began last week and continues for the next five. If we continue to play well I'll give Cotton AND the two people helping him coach their due credit. :D