Why so much fluff teams?

PIMPLE

What I love is people that complain about the non-con, but seemingly when they complain about it, don't seem to realize the need for seven home games every year. We can pay $1M or $600K like we did this year to teams, because those games are worth a ton to the athletic department. While competition-wise we may not like it, there are other reasons there for doing what we do schedule wise. Not saying most people here don't realize it, but it was pretty obvious that the OP didn't. :) From my understanding, that's also the hold up on moving to a 9-game conference schedule as well. FWIW.

What I love is people that complain about the non-con, but seemingly when they complain about it, don't seem to realize the need for seven home games every year. We can pay $1M or $600K like we did this year to teams, because those games are worth a ton to the athletic department. While competition-wise we may not like it, there are other reasons there for doing what we do schedule wise. Not saying most people here don't realize it, but it was pretty obvious that the OP didn't. :) From my understanding, that's also the hold up on moving to a 9-game conference schedule as well. FWIW.

Yep. Each home game is worth roughly 4.5 (give or take a couple hundred K) million in the face value of the ticket sales alone. Probably closer to 5 million.

Well, also remember that Michigan was ranked in the Top 10, so you can't fault Bama for that. Last year LSU played Oregon to open the season, and next year they play TCU to open the season. Boise always plays a good team at the beginning. So while I agree that it's necessary to schedule some lower-level competition in order to get some practice in and hopefully avoid injuries, I do think it would be nice to schedule a top-tier opponent once in a while. I think playing Miami and Tennessee in upcoming years will be nice; I am certainly looking forward to the trips to Knoxville and Miami.

kid nickels...

I thought this was a good opportunity for me to tell you how confused I am by your signature image. Every time I see those little arms reaching up for the "nickels," I feel like there's some kind of nipple tweak going on. looksweirdman.

Those two soccer moms aren't helping either...

Well, also remember that Michigan was ranked in the Top 10, so you can't fault Bama for that. Last year LSU played Oregon to open the season, and next year they play TCU to open the season. Boise always plays a good team at the beginning. So while I agree that it's necessary to schedule some lower-level competition in order to get some practice in and hopefully avoid injuries, I do think it would be nice to schedule a top-tier opponent once in a while. I think playing Miami and Tennessee in upcoming years will be nice; I am certainly looking forward to the trips to Knoxville and Miami.

We schedule our big boy series 8-10 years out. Nothing we can do if the opponent takes a nose dive.