"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

I think we're on our 3rd recruiting coordinator in 3 years. Rich Fisher supposedly really went after it early in this recruiting cycle. Some concerns that we're slipping up again and falling into our in-season recruiting-is-secondary pattern, but those are subjective criticisms.

Even still, I want to see what Bo can do once he gets over the year or two of damage that has been caused by his early recruiting classes. Again, though, only if he continues his recruiting turnaround. If not, then not only will he continue to struggle, he'll set up that struggling for years down the line no matter who is head coach.

Wrong, Tom and the former players were undermining him in 2005 with "alternate" golf tourney's at the same time and date the athletic department had theirs. The not winning games had more to do with having to get a ton of JUCO's to try to field a competitive team because he inherited a small and slow team that wasn't able to compete. A majority of those guys graduated and then the 12 (or close to it) man recruiting class of 2004 (5 by Solich) reared it's ugly head and there were no upperclassmen on that team that were any good. Kind of what Bo is going through right now, only this is all of his doing since it's his 5th season.

So it's Tom Osborne's fault that Steve Pederson held events that intentionally ignored our former players? It's Tom Osborne's fault that someone at least tried to keep our former players in the fold by holding events including them, by keeping them at least coming to Lincoln, and not acting openly antagonistically toward them?

What kind of bizarro world are you living in? Pederson, with direct purpose and intent in mind, excommunicated anyone and everyone that had any ties to this program before his hire as AD. It wasn't Osborne holding competing events keeping these guys away from Pederson's golf tourney, it was Pederson saying "F you" to all those players.

Fantastic? By whose standards? The highest we reached was I believe #21. As of now, we are not ranked in the Top 25 in neither rivals nor scout's Top 25 recruiting rankings. Just because we were getting a bunch of recruits doesn't necessarily mean they were quality recruits. We need more 4-stars and less 3-stars. And yes, for the most part, stars do matter -- just ask LSU and Alabama and the like.

Bo said "Nebraska's back and we're here to stay," during 2009 Holiday Bowl post game. The peak in Bo's era? Could be.

Similar to Callahan when after Alamo Bowl game (Michigan vs NU).

Both coaches are apparently stubborn as hell. (i.e. Cos=Pap perhaps?)

Red: Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no place here. Better get used to the idea.

Better get used to it, no elite team in foresees Husker's future.

Switzer to Gibbs to Schelenberger to Blake to Stoops

Osborne to Solich to Callahan to Bo to ????

I know, bad mood.

Zoogies

I think we're on our 3rd recruiting coordinator in 3 years. Rich Fisher supposedly really went after it early in this recruiting cycle. Some concerns that we're slipping up again and falling into our in-season recruiting-is-secondary pattern, but those are subjective criticisms.

Even still, I want to see what Bo can do once he gets over the year or two of damage that has been caused by his early recruiting classes. Again, though, only if he continues his recruiting turnaround. If not, then not only will he continue to struggle, he'll set up that struggling for years down the line no matter who is head coach.

:yeah ^^^^ This is good insight into some of the reasons for our current state of dispair, therefore I agree^^^^

If you remember, there were really only three names that it sounded like TO interviewed. Pelini, Gill and Grobe. For the freaking NEBRASKA JOB. Two guys who never had been had coaches, and the guy from Wake Forest.

I know; pretty incredulous when you take a step back and consider the context.

I like Dr. Tom just as much as the next unfortunately I believe the business side of the machine that now powers College Football passed him by quite some time ago.

If you remember, there were really only three names that it sounded like TO interviewed. Pelini, Gill and Grobe. For the freaking NEBRASKA JOB. Two guys who never had been had coaches, and the guy from Wake Forest.

Remember Pedersen? Candidates was Callahan, Dan Hawkins, Nutts, 2 NFL DC coaches (KC & Dallas), and I believe Urban (denied, thanks but no thanks thing).

So you can see we basically rebuilt the entire staff prior to 2011. That's like starting over in 2008. Not to mention the youth and inexperience we had on D after the departure of NFL talent galore. Then prior to this season we have to replace the DC becuause Carl is forced out, that's a promotion so we have to replace a Dline coach. Raymond leaves so we have to replace a secondary coach. So again, this year the Defense is working with 3 coaches in new positions out of 4. Ross Els is the only one continued. Take away the talent and experience of Dennard and David, and it's obvious why we're having issues. We really need to give this time, esp if we stay in the 8-10 win category. I truly believe that Bo has his guys in place right now, and barring any other shakeups-which I doubt because these guys seem to really want to be here-and should stay together for the long term, there's no reason we shouldnt see a nice run brewing.

As far as Bo promoting and hiring buddies, this concept is so overblown it makes me sick. This happens everywhere. Hell, Bob Stoops just threw his brother a bone in the offseason, the guy we all "wanted". Every coach wants to surround himself with guys he knows, has worked with, or shares common ground in philosophy with. Bo's guys just happen to be very young. I'm willing to let them figure it out.

You're probably right in regards to coach turnover. I'm sure that makes continuity a challenge. But, isn't that partly the "new" college football. Assistants are always going to look to make more money and promote. Right or wrong, the defense will always be tied to Bo. If Bo doesn't have adequate assistant coaches right now, its because he didn't hire good enough coaching talent to begin with.

I'm not in the camp that bo just hires his buddies, but I feel he might not be using one of his biggest assets at Nebraska, the CHECKBOOK. Yeah, Yeah, nobody wants to come to Nebraska, but everybody has a price. NU has the money, use it.

Urban Meyer lost to us last year with a complete defensive meltdown....obviously he should've been fired or at least replaced his entire staff. :ahhhhhhhh

Luke Fickell was Ohio State's coach in 2011.

I believe Urban Meyer brought his entire own staff.

You're not exactly making a good case here :P

You're right...my case sucks. I don't keep up on the BIG obviously. I actually made the case for firing Bo and hiring Meyer.

To me it's pretty silly to even have the "fire the coach!" conversation until he's at least had a losing season. And I think it's a little premature to declare his hires are failures. We're pretty depleted in talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. Even if we would have gone out and gotten a "name" coordinator, we'd probably still be seeing more or less the same result.

Kaczenski was a proven commodity and the lack of talent on the defensive line still shows.

I disagree. Anything under 9 wins is unacceptable, IMO. Osborne established that number as the standard and never went beneath it. The first time a coach achieves less than that, a possible replacement must be discussed.

Agree to disagree. "You have to be as succesful as Tom Osborne, or else you're fired" isn't something I would consider a reasonable expectation.

We play more games now so I think 9 wins as a standard is perfectly acceptable considering we have 3 gimmes each year in the non-conference.

That's fine if the fans feel that way, hell I feel that way to some extent, but we're not the ones considering taking a coaching job that comes with such high expectations and pitiful recruiting locale.

One has to only look at Tom Osborne's poll finishes in his first years as a Nebraska head coach to realize we are not even talking about the same zip code of expectations when we refer to Bo's 9 or 10 win seasons thus far.

I agree with The Dude; on the flip side, I don't think you have to be a total, unmitigated disaster to merit firing. In this case I just think we were poorly set up for this season due in fair measure to Bo's past mistakes recruiting, since turned around. If Bo can continue turning that around, he should have more time to show he can recover from it, almost regardless of how this season turns out.

That's where we differ -- I really haven't seen much progress at all in recruiting during the 5 years Bo has been here. Still barely crack the Top 25 in recruiting each year, and many of the top recruits in the classes leave for one reason or another. Until we can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes we will never return to prominence.

Last year's class was quite strong, talent wize. One thing about class rankings is they not only depend on quantity but quality. Our class was small last year. It's the way it was. But if it woulda been that talented consistently through all 25 possible singings, it woulda been a top 10 class, maybe top 5. Ive learned that "stars" do tell alot of the story, but the actaull class rankings can be kinda skewed. You always see SEC teams near the top because they are oversinging and get that 25 commits every year. yes the talent is there, but the numbers are larger as well.

I dont post much, I usually just like to read what others think....But, Saturday really bothered me. I am a BOliever but something has to change...Do we lack talent? Maybe....Assistant coaches? Maybe.....Discipline? Maybe.....but most of all i think motivation! I think BO has maybe lost this team a little... Why can a guy like Bill Snyder come back to K-State with NONE of his players or coaches and turn them around so quick? I think he motivates his team and had them believing....Those kids think they are the best on the field and play like it!!!...Put the best kid at that position out there and let them play. Motivate them, encourage them, and believe in them!! The coaching examples could go on and on.... I hate to say it but Urban Meyer....Will muschamp... Brian Kelly...Chip Kelly ...Lane Kiffin....COME ON BO!.....Be the guy, motivate these kids, make them believe!!!

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

Not your pal, ever. My tailgate has one standing rule, "No trolls allowed."

T_O_B

OK, well, then you're simply in denial, and beyond help. Go ahead and do some research, and see what you find. In the game where Bo went to the hospital, on several message boards and blogs and twitters and whatnot, the general consensus was, "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy; karma is a bitch."

Opposing fans say the same thing about Tom Osborne.