Name your new coach

Wait we have a current vacancy for our head football coach??

I am as disappointed about the Ohio State loss as the next Husker fan, but I won't be throwing my suggestions or opinions out there on who our coach should be until their is an actual vacancy....which currently there isn't, and shouldn't be.

I will say that I do wish Nebraska would go more to a Jim Harbaugh/49ers offensive style of play on offense while also incorporating the option.

• Fire 1

Being a student at ISU I can say Paul Rhodes won't be leaving. He is very loyal and wants to keep improving the Cyclones. Furthermore fans over here understand that the good recruits from the south don't want to come to the midwest and all the fans are worried about here is going 6-6 to go to a bowl game. They don't pi*s and moan and want to fire him everytime they lose because they won three national championships 20 years ago. It's been said Bo's first two classes were terrible remember he was recruiting off of a 5-7 season his first year. They have improved it's just been slow because it's Bo's first head coach gig. Give him a break or we'll be hiring a new coach every five years then those of you that are whinning will see what mediocre really is.

Petersen is the best choice IMO. Does a lot with a little and always shows up to play. When is the last time you said, "Gee, Boise St. came out flat and not prepared to play"...I want to fix this very problem at NU.

Gruden and Cowher...would be a really unique situation...yes you'd have to pay big but I think you have to appeal to a sense of bringing a storied great program back to prominence...if they are worried about not getting it done and hurting their legacy, then they need not apply. But something tells me the make-up of these guys could be up for a challenge...kids would love to play for these guys.

Patterson, Fitzgerald, Dan Mullen, and Kirby Smart are other guys I would look at.

I am not big on Richt...has never really got it done at UGA.

Please not Paul Johnson...has done nothing with Ga Tech and limits recruiting on offensive side of the ball.

Al Golden seems lost to me when I see him coach...nice tie, but I don't think this guy can actually coach.

Cowher or Gruden probably wouldn't come, but it sure as hell wouldn't hurt to ask. I'd just tell them to name their price, and pay whatever they want. 10 mill a year? OK, fine.

i wonder how long the sellout streak last when ticket prices more than double in 1 season

How much revenue do ticket sales bring in? 86,000 seats, $75/ticket. $6.5 million in revenue. I know it wouldn't likely happen, but overpaying the coaches by a couple million isn't going to "more than double" ticket prices.

This entire discussion is stupid. It's been said a hundred times: Bo's first 2 recruiting classes were piss poor. Those are the guys we see on the field right now. He has some freakin' studs lined up in the chutes behind the guys we have starting that will make a huge impact here really soon. Those guys I'm talking about are:

Rose

Afalava

Thomas Brown

Avery Moss

Curry

Charles Jackson

Daniel Davie

Harvey Jackson

McMullen

Josh Mitchell

Peat

Jonathan Rose

Santos

Valentine

Vestal

Kevin Williams

That's a lot of guys that have either played and looked good, or are said to be monsters. While I'm disappointed that Bo didn't recruit better his first couple years here, I like what I see from the young guys, and I want to see how far Bo can take us when his younger stallions are on the field next year and for the next 3 years.

agree that his last couple of classes are much better. But how many of these are currently seeing MEANINGFUL playing time? 3, maybe 4? If they are that good, then get them on the field.

On coaching change: I still think Bo is our guy. He has brought us a long way from the Clownahan days. However, someone needs to tell him to stop pouting after losses and practice what he preaches. He blames losses on execution, but he does not execute with the media after losses. Take the diapers off and grow up a little Bo.

As for coaches if it is not Bo: I like what Art Briles has done at Baylor. Think about what they were prior to him coming there. From embarrassment to dangerous. I also like Peterson. His brand of football would seem to mesh with Nebraska's.

The loss is frustrating, but I'll support Bo, because I know his players want to play for him, and I think he's a good coach, and has room to improve, but he's not elite yet, nor has he learned that you need an elite coaching staff to succeed in this day and age (no offense to guys like Papuchis/Beck, they're good coaches, just maybe not ready to be coordinators, and in over their heads a little bit). I would say Bo deserves the rest of this season, AND next season, unless we aren't bowl eligible this year. The 2013 season will have about as easy of a schedule as we can get, and our team will be arguably in the best position to succeed, with much of the offense being upperclassmen, and the defense is a question mark because of how many starters we lose, but I also think we have plenty of talented players to replace them.

Nevertheless, if Bo and co. can't get it done (as in a conference championship/BCS bowl) in 2013, then the argument is valid. My first choice would be Mark Richt - Omaha native, grew up a Cornhuskers fan, and is a highly successful coach in the best conference in the nation. I don't know if he's on the hot seat at Georgia or anything, but I would be willing to pretty much pay him whatever he wants. I think he makes $3.5 mil at Georgia, so maybe $4.5-$5 mil will make him think about it.

James Franklin, I think, would be a great fit at any school. Great recruiter, good motivator and LOVES talking to the media. Look at his current class of verbals that he has at Vandy, amazing!

Probably the most realistic answer I've seen. While I don't think Bo is on the hot seat because he/we could still win 10 games this year and play in the rose bowl if we get our defense together, he should start feeling some pressure for sure. No team ever gives up 63 in league play without a lot of serious questions. Even without the turnovers, I still think tOSU beats us because our D had no answers for anything. This trend has been happening for years now. I blamed it on Carl last year because of his laid back zone style defense but now that he's gone, I guess Bo is the next choice to blame. If you have top tier talent and speed, running a zone style defense is effective but if you don't, you can bank on being gashed against teams with talent/speed or mobile QBs. It's just a fact. It works in the NFL because of the parity amongst teams. I think defensively we are in a bad spot. Our offense, although shaky at times, is still putting up big numbers. This season feels like Suh's senior year but just the opposite. That year the defense was solid and kept us in every game but our offense was the problem then either turning the ball over or just not coming through...see all of our losses by 3 pts or less and winning what, 10 games?

This entire discussion is stupid. It's been said a hundred times: Bo's first 2 recruiting classes were piss poor. Those are the guys we see on the field right now. He has some freakin' studs lined up in the chutes behind the guys we have starting that will make a huge impact here really soon. Those guys I'm talking about are:

Rose

Afalava

Thomas Brown

Avery Moss

Curry

Charles Jackson

Daniel Davie

Harvey Jackson

McMullen

Josh Mitchell

Peat

Jonathan Rose

Santos

Valentine

Vestal

Kevin Williams

That's a lot of guys that have either played and looked good, or are said to be monsters. While I'm disappointed that Bo didn't recruit better his first couple years here, I like what I see from the young guys, and I want to see how far Bo can take us when his younger stallions are on the field next year and for the next 3 years.

agree that his last couple of classes are much better. But how many of these are currently seeing MEANINGFUL playing time? 3, maybe 4? If they are that good, then get them on the field.

On coaching change: I still think Bo is our guy. He has brought us a long way from the Clownahan days. However, someone needs to tell him to stop pouting after losses and practice what he preaches. He blames losses on execution, but he does not execute with the media after losses. Take the diapers off and grow up a little Bo.

As for coaches if it is not Bo: I like what Art Briles has done at Baylor. Think about what they were prior to him coming there. From embarrassment to dangerous. I also like Peterson. His brand of football would seem to mesh with Nebraska's.

I agree, but it's obvious that Ciante is probably our most solid defensive player this year, so it makes sense that we don't see Charles Jackson. I think that the coaches are set on redshirting the 3 freshmen LBs, and I'm okay with that. Gives them time to sit back and mature before they hit the field. I think the freshmen D-Linemen will start to make a huge impact next year (Moss, Curry, McMullen, Valentine, Williams). We've seen Williams play some meaninful snaps, and he appears to have lots of potential IMO.

As for other coaches, I am definitely still in Bo's corner. Briles is a great suggestion, but would he come here? I don't know if he would. Peterson is also a great suggestion, but I am 90% sure he wouldn't come here. He loves where he's at, and that's fine.

If you ask me, we have a minimum of 2 more years with Bo, which I think is fine because he has earned it. He's brought this program back from the cellars and made us respectable again. Now we are waiting for him to take that next step and turn this team into perennial contenders for conference titles, with the occasional NC contension sprinkled in here and there. I still believe he can get it done, and I really hope he does, because I would love for him to be here for another 20 years if he can.