"We will not surrender the Big 10 to Ohio State and Michigan"

Confused on your post. Please explain. Nebraska has never controlled the Big Ten. In fact as of right now the REAL NU is Northwestern. They walked into Lincoln and took that NU title. Maybe and I am sure I am missing something here.

"We will not gravitate to mediocrity. I refuse to surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas." -Steve Pederson

Confused on your post. Please explain. Nebraska has never controlled the Big Ten. In fact as of right now the REAL NU is Northwestern. They walked into Lincoln and took that NU title. Maybe and I am sure I am missing something here.

"We will not gravitate to mediocrity. I refuse to surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas." -Steve Pederson

Thanks PO now I understand.

Those may be the most prophetic, ill spoken words in Husker history. I hope we never hear such rhetoric again. Building champions takes time. Or mercenaries. Since we seem unwilling to hire mercenary coaches, and with some reason, we need a bit more patience. Bo HAS to step up, no doubt, but I think it is too soon to flee the ship, which is not even ignited yet. Unlike some couches in Morgantown.

I hope we never make such short-sighted decisions again.

Flood I hope you are correct, but what we have seen is our program steadily go down hill. We were okay when we had Clownahan recruits, when they left, the deadfall started.

Just exactly what do you see that indicates Bo can turn this around. The only thing we have going for us next year is the schedule. We will be lucky this year to get to a semi decent bowl game is my guess, where we will not be prepared, not make adjustments and lose in the secon half, and again on National TV. How many of these drubbings do you need to see?

The only way I see Bo righting this ship is to hire a competent OC and DC. On the job training for the Head Coach is enough.

If he does not make major changes and get help, he will not have much more time, especially with a new AD.

I would like to hope you guys are right, but I just do not see the improvement in his teams to make me think he can do it. I am not talking about talent, I am talking about not being prepared, not really caring who they are playing, pentalties, bone head plays, lack of control.

QB change and just have him mange the game? Think Osborne did that. Season is a bust for us that thought Rose bowl standards were a joke. Just throwing crap out there is all. Burn Tommy Armstongs red shirt and let him take the reins. I am on record of not liking tommy. Mack brown replaced a running back that was averging 5.2 yards a carry for cedric benson after a Oklahoma loss.Start playing the younger kids. At least they get experience. How bad can it get? 60 plus points put up on Nebraska.

The term mercenaries got me thinking. Bo was so excited when he came here, now I wonder if he feels the same about his position

This is an interesting observation. It seems like this board lights up like a Christmas tree when we lose with the 'Who do you think would be a better coach than Bo' or 'Bo is on the hot seat now' et al. However, what if Bo just gets tired of it all here in our great state and leaves? Then what? I fear this more than I fear him being on the proverbial 'hot seat'. Many here were not here when Tom O was going through his journey. We had plenty of embarrassing games during that time but folks only seem to focus on the great game and there were many of those too. But I remember well the refrains of, 'Osborne can't win the big one! He can't beat Oklahoma, etc.' I really wish that we could be patient. I see good things in the future. People keep going on and on about this being Bo's '5th year' at NU. However, it's only his 2nd year in a new conference. And as far as replacing the OC and DC. They're doing some really nice things. Let them develop. If we would've won that game we would all be singing their praises. Call me a sunshine pumper or whatever but I think good things are coming. I guess I would much rather have that attitude than the opposite. I would much rather have our players read that attitude from fans than the other too.

• Fire 3

We have already surrendered the Big 10 to Michigan and Ohio State and the gap is only going to grow with each recruiting class. They have better head coaches and better coaching staffs that are willing to put time into recruiting.

Pelini dug himself into a hole with his first five recruiting classes and it will take years for him to dig himself out of it, if he's capable of that at all.

We have already surrendered the Big 10 to Michigan and Ohio State and the gap is only going to grow with each recruiting class. They have better head coaches and better coaching staffs that are willing to put time into recruiting.

Pelini dug himself into a hole with his first five recruiting classes and it will take years for him to dig himself out of it, if he's capable of that at all.

It is interesting how people are impugning the talent level now and Bo's recruiting. Seems to me, that more to the issue is our staff's inability to teach technique, to teach tackling, to keep the team disciplined and to get them to play hard. They are unfocused. I'd have to think that by now the team doubts the ability of their coaches. That is the death knell for a coach... when his team realizes that he is not up to the task. So... for me, the aforementioned things re: coaching ability (lack thereof) with the players we have is more the issues than is our talent level. Our talent level and the recruiting is not where we'd like.. no doubt --- but the larger problem, by far, is inability to get the talent that we do have to perform.

We are as weak a team now (or very nearly so) as has been the case in 45 years. The Callahan years produced some bad teams... this team is not far removed from the worst of the Callahan years. But the reason is not recruiting (though that could be improved) --- it is the inability to coach those we do have.