What are Your Expectations??

Year in and year out, what exactly are your expectations for Husker football? What would make you content every year?

Is it to win an MNC every year, maybe in the hunt every 3-8 years? Maybe it's finish in the top 10 every year, or top 15? Would you be happy with playing in a CCG every 3-5 years?

Something has to be "OK", so we don't bag on coaches or players. I know we want to play well every week, but what is that we really want to see at the end of the season. I like the idea of end season rankings, with the Huskers in the 10-15 range on a yearly basis. With rankings like that, we would be playing in some CCG's. Some years we would be in the top 10, some years around 15-20. I guess my point is, I find myself getting really pissed off after some games. I watch them all, knowing we can win, and somewhere else inside, says that is unreasonable. I see a lot of posters say "we can't beat these guys", but deep down inside, they say to themselves "the f#*k we cant", because it's our team. When we lose, we get pissed, even though just the other day, it was posted "we cant win this game".

Honestly, what are your hopes for Husker football every year?

Personally I expect the National Championship at the beginning of every year, but realistically I would be satisfied if we were in the running for conference champions year in and year out, or if we were consistently in the top ten every other year. The rest would fall into place if we could maintain consistent success.

First of all great post, and great questions.

My personal opinion, and I posted this same thought right after the Ohio State game, is that the Nebraska football program does have standards, and the fans should hold coaches, players, and athletic department officials accountable to those standards.

What are those standards?

• At least 8-9 wins per season.
  • Establish and keep the Nebraska football identity: (Play a smart physical brand of football on both sides of the ball. Include option football.)
  • Compete each year for conference division. (Finish at least in the top 2 of the division race)
  • Compete each year for a conference championship. (We might not always play for a conference championship, but at least finish the season in the top 4 of the entire Big Ten Conference each season.)
  • Make a bowl game every year.
  • Finish at least in the Top 20 each year.
  • Be in the National Title hunt at least once per decade.
  • Play for at least 1 National Title at least once per decade.

My final thoughts are this; Nebraska fans across the country can handle losing a game every now and then. Most Nebraska fans are realistic and understand that we can't win a National Championship every single year. Another thing Nebraska fans do understand very well is Good Quality Football. They can handle losing a game, but they also expect their Cornhuskers to be competitive in every single game that they play. They don't want to see a team that quits. Bottom line: DON'T EMBARRASS THE NEBRASKA BRAND.

So my personal opinion is as long as Nebraska is playing a physical brand of football on both sides of the ball, as long as we are competitive in every single game, as long as we win at least 8-9 wins every year, compete for a divisional and conference championship, make a bowl game every year, and on occasion are in the National Title picture than I will be content with Nebraska football. But I'll say it again....don't put a product on the field that embarrasses the Nebraska brand.

• Fire 2

Averaging 9 wins per season (meaning there may be some where we're at 8, some at 10, etc). So I suppose not less than 8 wins per season. Being in the hunt for an appearance in the Big 10 Championship game each year, but not necessarily going each year. Being in the hunt for the national title every now and then.

Other than that, I'd say not getting blown out in games, and not dropping games to teams we should be beating.

Averaging 9 wins per season (meaning there may be some where we're at 8, some at 10, etc). So I suppose not less than 8 wins per season. Being in the hunt for an appearance in the Big 10 Championship game each year, but not necessarily going each year. Being in the hunt for the national title every now and then.

Other than that, I'd say not getting blown out in games, and not dropping games to teams we should be beating.

i completely agree. this is realistic and really the best you can hope for nowadays unless you want to break a few rules (like giving out free recommended books).

First of all great post, and great questions.

My personal opinion, and I posted this same thought right after the Ohio State game, is that the Nebraska football program does have standards, and the fans should hold coaches, players, and athletic department officials accountable to those standards.

What are those standards?

• At least 8-9 wins per season.
  • Establish and keep the Nebraska football identity: (Play a smart physical brand of football on both sides of the ball. Include option football.)
  • Compete each year for conference division. (Finish at least in the top 2 of the division race)
  • Compete each year for a conference championship. (We might not always play for a conference championship, but at least finish the season in the top 4 of the entire Big Ten Conference each season.)
  • Make a bowl game every year.
  • Finish at least in the Top 20 each year.
  • Be in the National Title hunt at least once per decade.
  • Play for at least 1 National Title at least once per decade.

My final thoughts are this; Nebraska fans across the country can handle losing a game every now and then. Most Nebraska fans are realistic and understand that we can't win a National Championship every single year. Another thing Nebraska fans do understand very well is Good Quality Football. They can handle losing a game, but they also expect their Cornhuskers to be competitive in every single game that they play. They don't want to see a team that quits. Bottom line: DON'T EMBARRASS THE NEBRASKA BRAND.

So my personal opinion is as long as Nebraska is playing a physical brand of football on both sides of the ball, as long as we are competitive in every single game, as long as we win at least 8-9 wins every year, compete for a divisional and conference championship, make a bowl game every year, and on occasion are in the National Title picture than I will be content with Nebraska football. But I'll say it again....don't put a product on the field that embarrasses the Nebraska brand.

This +1.

If we could do this year in and year out, I would not be as angry when we do lose. I personally have to get passed (my thinking only) that we can win every game, then when we don't, think the season is a loss.

After the last ten yearss I have no expectations, other than losing a game we shouldn't, getting blown out, losing at home to people we should never lose to, being trounced by the top teams, and maybe being close once in awhile.

What I would like to see, is a team prepared, a staff prepared and capable of change. A Nebraska drive to finish, hard play for 60 minutes, players with out the deer in the headlights look, the head coach accepting his role as the face of Nebraska and be proud to do it. Win the games we are supposed and the maybe knock off someone we are not supposed.

After the last ten yearss I have no expectations, other than losing a game we shouldn't, getting blown out, losing at home to people we should never lose to, being trounced by the top teams, and maybe being close once in awhile.

What I would like to see, is a team prepared, a staff prepared and capable of change. A Nebraska drive to finish, hard play for 60 minutes, players with out the deer in the headlights look, the head coach accepting his role as the face of Nebraska and be proud to do it. Win the games we are supposed and the maybe knock off someone we are not supposed.

That would make you happy? That is what is needed to keep you content year after year?

It would be a start, if it continues the way it is now, we can not have any real expectations of winning consistenly. We correct the problems and then and only then can we regain some respect. We are bottom of the top 25 if a bunch lose the last weekend of the year.

I would like to see us in the 10-15 area year after year. Any idea of when that might happen. I would like to see a conference championship, again any idea of when that might happen.

The statement was expectations, I expect exactly what we have seen for the last 10 years, incompetent coaching, lack of drive, lack of speed, supposed better players setting the bench. Not what I want, but what I expect.