My conclusions after thinking deep... (read all for good perspective))

thatguy

the post I tried to quote was deleted....

But it is funny to me that Gene Chizik won a MNC very early in his head coaching career, unlike Saban and Miles, but Gene is the one currently fighting for his job.

Yeah, it was real funny. What is his record without Cam Newton?

What that shows is that 1 truely great player can really make that much of a difference. Braxton Miller is pretty close to that right now and in 2 years he will be very scary.

Osborne teams came out jittery and/or flat in plenty of big games, and for 20 years that was part of Tom Osborne's reputation.

Even without the Internet, plenty of Huskers fans grumbled about Tom Osborne's job security.

Here's a few:

1973: Oklahoma 27 Nebraska 0 #10 Nebraska never snapped the ball in Oklahoma territory the entire game

1975: Oklahoma 35 Nebraska 10 Nebraska was ranked #2. It was embarassing.

1977: Oklahoma 38 Nebraska 7 Nebraska fans were getting really tired of Switzer outcoaching Osborne

1985: Oklahoma 27 Nebraska 7 Nebraska was ranked #2. Ouch.

1988: UCLA 41 Nebraska 28 UCLA went up 28 - 0 on Nebraska turnovers and coasted. We were #2 at the time.

Miami 23 Nebraska 3 We were getting the feeling that Nebraska couldn't hang with the big boys

1989 FSU 41 Nebraska 17 We were getting the feeling that Nebraska couldn't hang with any Florida school

1990 Oklahoma 45 Nebraska 10 And Oklahoma wasn't even ranked

G-Tech 45 Nebraska 21 It wasn't even that close. Maybe our most embarassing bowl game.

1991 Miami 22 Nebraska 0 Zero?

1996 ASU 19 Nebraska 0 How did that '96 offense fail to score a point?

Not suggesting the recent blowouts aren't more frequent or egregious, just want to correct the fallacy that this kind of thing never happened to Tom Osborne teams. It happened enough for Tom Osborne to feel the heat and almost bolt to Colorado in 1978.

• Fire 1

the post I tried to quote was deleted....

But it is funny to me that Gene Chizik won a MNC very early in his head coaching career, unlike Saban and Miles, but Gene is the one currently fighting for his job.

Yeah, it was real funny. What is his record without Cam Newton?

What that shows is that 1 truely great player can really make that much of a difference. Braxton Miller is pretty close to that right now and in 2 years he will be very scary.

Also RG3 at Baylor, which is funny since in the "Name your coach" thread people mentioned Art Briles.

Osborne teams came out jittery and/or flat in plenty of big games, and for 20 years that was part of Tom Osborne's reputation.

Even without the Internet, plenty of Huskers fans grumbled about Tom Osborne's job security.

Here's a few:

1973: Oklahoma 27 Nebraska 0 #10 Nebraska never snapped the ball in Oklahoma territory the entire game

1975: Oklahoma 35 Nebraska 10 Nebraska was ranked #2. It was embarassing.

1977: Oklahoma 38 Nebraska 7 Nebraska fans were getting really tired of Switzer outcoaching Osborne

1985: Oklahoma 27 Nebraska 7 Nebraska was ranked #2. Ouch.

1988: UCLA 41 Nebraska 28 UCLA went up 28 - 0 on Nebraska turnovers and coasted. We were #2 at the time.

Miami 23 Nebraska 3 We were getting the feeling that Nebraska couldn't hang with the big boys

1989 FSU 41 Nebraska 17 We were getting the feeling that Nebraska couldn't hang with any Florida school

1990 Oklahoma 45 Nebraska 10 And Oklahoma wasn't even ranked

G-Tech 45 Nebraska 21 It wasn't even that close. Maybe our most embarassing bowl game.

1991 Miami 22 Nebraska 0 Zero?

1996 ASU 19 Nebraska 0 How did that '96 offense fail to score a point?

Not suggesting the recent blowouts aren't more frequent or egregious, just want to correct the fallacy that this kind of thing never happened to Tom Osborne teams. It happened enough for Tom Osborne to feel the heat and almost bolt to Colorado in 1978.

That UCLA game in 88 the score doesn't look all that bad, but If you watch the game, they show it on ESPN classic occationally, UCLA led Troy Aikman just killed NU. Terry Donehue took his foot off the gas big time in the second half.

I do hope this is the last time I waste my time reading ome of these long winded posts that claim to be well thought out but end up being pure drivel.

first -

People who compare Bo’s years here to the years Osborne had need to stop.

TO's record - 255-49-3 regular season 12-13 bowls

BP's record - 42-18 regular season 3-2 bowls

second -

TO never had any blowouts

YR SCORE OPPONENT

73 27-0 Okla

75 35-10 Okla

77 38-7 Okla

78 20-3 Ala

85 27-7 Okla

88 41-28 UCLA

23-3 Miami

89 41-17 FSU

90 27-12 Colo

45-10 Okla

45-10 G. Tech

91 36-21 Wash

22-0 Miami

92 29-14 Wash

96 19-0 ASU

Form now on do some research before you test your somewhat limited powers of observation.

Now I can get back to something important, watching paint dry.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

• Fire 1

I do hope this is the last time I waste my time reading ome of these long winded posts that claim to be well thought out but end up being pure drivel.

first -

second -

YR SCORE OPPONENT

Form now on do some research before you test your somewhat limited powers of observation.

T_O_B

perhaps my research wasn't extensive. but my whole argument is not founded on that argument of blowout losses. regardless of how they compare, bo's team issues are still quite glaring and fundamental, and it will require fundamental changes in mentality and/or personnel to fix them. hopefully not personnel. I suppose we'll see at the end of this season.

Oh, and watching paint dry has a greater uncertainty than the performance of bo's teams against top 25 BCS teams. so go right ahead. it's probably more fun anyway.

So your regretting hiring a head coach, with no previous experience who is still learning? I wish I was like all these doubters who could do the job and take us to a championship game year 1. With an inexperienced coach, you take strides, and most of Husker fans wouldn't understand that. Quite embarrassing too, having Husker fans on public blogs crying and demanding the firing of their head coach, let alone demanding that your starting QB should be benched.

I don't regret it at all. Bo has the passion and the drive to do what is best for the program. Takes patience, and I don't think there is one coach who took their team to a National Title within their first 5 years, as their first HC'ing gig. If I am wrong, please let me know, but I have never heard, nor seen it.

Expecting a new coach to take a bad team to the championship in year 1 is stupid. But who here thought Bo would be able to do that?

I agree it takes patience to build back a program that was struggling but it’s been 5 years and we are a mediocre team. We consistently are one of the top teams in turnovers and penalties and it never fails we get blown out by teams that aren't that good. I can understand loses and I don’t complain about 9 or 10 wins, but it’s the blowouts and turnovers that I don’t understand.

If we fire Bo now then no one will want to coach at Nebraska, next year will be different without Wisconsin or Ohio St on our regular schedule. But if we have these problems next year, Bo is definitely gone.

first -

second -

YR SCORE OPPONENT

73 27-0 Okla

75 35-10 Okla

77 38-7 Okla

78 20-3 Ala

85 27-7 Okla

88 41-28 UCLA

23-3 Miami

89 41-17 FSU

90 27-12 Colo

45-10 Okla

45-10 G. Tech

91 36-21 Wash

22-0 Miami

92 29-14 Wash

96 19-0 ASU

T_O_B

I would also like to add that if you were to translate these scores into today's majority of up-tempo and/or no-huddle offense, some of these scores would have been a 50 spot laid on us. Maybe even a 60 or two.

• Fire 1