B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Tier 1.5 Beta, soon to be renamed the Fairly Competitive Southerners.

My favorite stat from bowl season is that ND and ATM were tied for 2nd most Cotton Bowl wins, you can guess number 1, in spite of the fact that the Aggies always had a direct tie in and the Irish have been frozen out for 50ish years.

My favorite stat from the bowl season was 42-14. Suck it Irish.

• Fire 2
The ACC could be dead within a month. The B1G, SEC, and Big XII will absorb the ACC. http://www.eersauthority.com/big-10-and-sec-race-to-add-acc-schools/

A very interesting article. I don't really like the fact that is says the B1G is likely to add Virginia and possibly Georgia Tech over North Carolina. I know that Duke and, most years, North Carolina don't bring a lot in respects to a football powerhouse. I would love to see anybody match up against the B1G when it came to basketball though if we added them. As much as I can't stand them, I would rather add Florida State over Virginia or Georgia Tech as well. That would open up some more recruiting in Florida and surrounding southern states and it would bring in a quality football program.

A very interesting article. I don't really like the fact that is says the B1G is likely to add Virginia and possibly Georgia Tech over North Carolina.

The B1G would not take Georgia Tech (or UVA) over UNC if the latter is available. It's best not put too much stock in yarns spun by drunkin' hillbillies.

A very interesting article. I don't really like the fact that is says the B1G is likely to add Virginia and possibly Georgia Tech over North Carolina.

The B1G would not take Georgia Tech (or UVA) over UNC if the latter is available. It's best not put too much stock in yarns spun by drunkin' hillbillies.

I disagree. GT brings Atlanta to the tv and recruiting markets, especially for football. Sure UNC is a bit more of a 'national brand' than GT, but only for basketball, which has not played into the major decisions making for expansion. Now UNC vs UVA is a different argument There is also the angle that the state politics in North Carolina may not allow UNC and Duke to split into different conferences.

I disagree. GT brings Atlanta to the tv and recruiting markets, especially for football. Sure UNC is a bit more of a 'national brand' than GT, but only for basketball, which has not played into the major decisions making for expansion. Now UNC vs UVA is a different argument There is also the angle that the state politics in North Carolina may not allow UNC and Duke to split into different conferences.

If you think the BIG wants GT more then then UNC then all I can say is welcome to your first day of realignment talk.

If you think the BIG wants GT more then then UNC then all I can say is welcome to your first day of realignment talk.

Or Big 10 talk--I thought everyone knew Delaney was a Tarheel to begin with. Who wouldn't think he'd try and look out for his school?

And the article, save for the piece on Virginia, is just speculation--we know with about...what...85% certainty the B1G is going beyond 16 teams. The piece assumes all conferences (SEC, B1G) are going to stop at 16 and stand pat, when that isn't the case.

The question is how far beyond 16 will they go...just to 18, will they go to 20?

On a nice side note, I agree with a lot of people that say it's funny to see all of this happening right after the Irish decided to finally join a conference. I think it could be bad karma for them joining in every sport except for football!

Well, the Irish would be two for two in conference killing then, just like Texass could possibly be.

If I were commissioner for the day:

FSU & GT are a must! We need to add a fb school; not just big markets and FSU has both. This also gives us property in SEC land and recruiting areas and there are a ton of B1G alumni in Atlanta and Florida. Then if it becomes an ACC feeding frenzy, UVA, UNC then go after Kansas. ND may be forced to join and they could be #20.

If we just add UVA and UNC and stop at 16, it will be a B1G let down. Sorry just not a lacross or soccer fan.

• Fire 1

Been in Manhattan over the weekend! Needed to chime in.

First off, I don't put any stock into what WVU fans are saying but there is no reason why the Big Ten would be starting the ACC thing by publicly taking two teams instead of four .

Carolina above all want to make sure they aren't seen as the school that breaks up the ACC. They have to sell it to their fans and alumni who for the most part hate the idea of the breaking up the league. IF longtime rival and ACC ally, UVA jumps ship first it will be much easier to break the news.

UNC is the goal. no doubt about it but the UVA and GIT move could be seen as something similar to the UMD and RU move.

No one thinks that UMD/RU are more desirable than UNC even though the Big Ten and Delany moved on them first(as a necessity)

As I stated above, the B1G needs to go hard after FSU & GT but the tea leaves are leaning towards UVA and UNC being the first choice. I think that is a mistake. First, neither move the needle football wise. Second, I perused their fan sites (spent much more time on UNC's) and they are against the B1G, especially UNC. There may have been one or two commenters for the B1G move but most preferred staying in the ACC first and moving to the SEC second. They cite lateral move sports/academic-wise, travel issues, loss of rivalries, CIC fallacy, BTN future issues and the "north vs south" culture clash. UNC commenters also state their big donors are very much against it. Do we really want an aloof school who doesn't want us? Sounds like a recipe for future discord.

On the other hand, FSU and GT fans seem to be much more open to a B1G move.

As I stated above, the B1G needs to go hard after FSU & GT but the tea leaves are leaning towards UVA and UNC being the first choice. I think that is a mistake. First, neither move the needle football wise. Second, I perused their fan sites (spent much more time on UNC's) and they are against the B1G, especially UNC. There may have been one or two commenters for the B1G move but most preferred staying in the ACC first and moving to the SEC second. They cite lateral move sports/academic-wise, travel issues, loss of rivalries, CIC fallacy, BTN future issues and the "north vs south" culture clash. UNC commenters also state their big donors are very much against it. Do we really want an aloof school who doesn't want us? Sounds like a recipe for future discord.

On the other hand, FSU and GT fans seem to be much more open to a B1G move.

Sometimes in those situations, you just have to make the move and let people get used to it. I would be interested to hop in a time machine back to summer 2010 and see what some of the Husker boosters thought about our move. I would bet that at the very least, a fair amount of those guys were iffy about the move. I was excited at the time, but I would be surprised if the majority of people shared my thoughts.