edit: I should probably post the criteria

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

If this is the criteria, how did Nebraska get in? The B1G had to know there was a strong possibility NU would lose AAU membership when Wisconsin and Michigan voted to kick them out of the AAU about 6 months after NU accepted an invitation to the B1G.

I really hope the B1G adds FSU. UVA does nothing to excite me, UNC does little, and GaTech does a little less.

Not only that but it was Big10 schools like NW that drove the point that NU was not meeting AAU criteria. Those criteria are flexible at best. If Alabama out of the blue wanted to move to the Big10, you can be sure #s 1,2,4,6 instantly become non-essential.

Most ridiculous expansion related comment ever.

FSU and Oklahoma would be a Big Ten members right now if that were even remotely true.

"Riiiiight" -Dr Evil in Austin Powers.

The Big10 turned down Oklahoma about as many times as ND declined to hire Bob Stoops.

there were reports that 4 Big XII schools asked into the Big Ten and were denied. OU was thought to be one of them.

Nevertheless, FSU wants badly into the Big Ten. FSU for the most part would be better for the Big Ten than Alabama. Bigger markets, better recruiting, better academic trajectory

edit: I should probably post the criteria

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

If this is the criteria, how did Nebraska get in? The B1G had to know there was a strong possibility NU would lose AAU membership when Wisconsin and Michigan voted to kick them out of the AAU about 6 months after NU accepted an invitation to the B1G.

I really hope the B1G adds FSU. UVA does nothing to excite me, UNC does little, and GaTech does a little less.

Why wouldn't you want every advantage to steal some of these guys?

http://rivals.yahoo....kings/rank-2901

This locks down DC/Northern Virginia as Big Ten territory. No SEC and ACC teams in the area now. A very talent rich region.

You are also getting into a state that produces a ton of skill position talent.

1. VaTech is deffinetly in the area, arguably the premier local destination in the area.

2. I am not interested in adding UVA for their recruiting or their TV markets. I am interested in adding quality programs with top notch facilities. UVA does not meet that. Neither does Rutgers or Maryland.

I agree. UMd and Rutgers were solely about adding TV sets - BTN subscribers (whether they watch BTN or not). We need to add fb schools to enhance our on-the-field product. We need the FSU-GT combo.

If the supposed secret meeting were last night, wonder when we'll hear some breaking news? If UVA is a given, they would have to bring another school along with them. Wonder who that will be?

As much as I would like to see Miami come to Lincoln in cold weather, Fla St makes more sense as a BTN school. It would still add the Fla footprint though with Nebraska making a dent in the Fla market this recruiting go around maybe it makes more sense for us to keep the Fla schools out. Not that The BTN will consider our minimal recruiting advantage. Ga Tech would be an interesting add if only for the idea they run a somewhat similar offense to 90's NU.

As much as I would like to see Miami come to Lincoln in cold weather, Fla St makes more sense as a BTN school. It would still add the Fla footprint though with Nebraska making a dent in the Fla market this recruiting go around maybe it makes more sense for us to keep the Fla schools out. Not that The BTN will consider our minimal recruiting advantage. Ga Tech would be an interesting add if only for the idea they run a somewhat similar offense to 90's NU.

I guess you'll just have to hope for some unseasonably cold weather on Sept. 20, 2014.

Oh come on the Big 12 is stacked with teams that everyone wants to watch & is going to laugh all the way to the bank forever! Don't you read shaggybevo?

Everyone, eh? Hell, the Whorns can't even get their alumni to watch their Bevo TV. chuckleshuffle

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

No offense Woody, but I don't see this criteria being conducive in bringing teams into the B1G going forward--not in the current order of priority, at any rate.

Frankly, based off of the schools we're hearing, it's more like:

1. New markets

2. Flagship University

3. Academics

4. Athletics

5. Top Research School

6. AAU

7. Contiguous

I can't see how being an AAU member would carry such a high priority, especially after Nebraska gained admittance and the other B1G schools didn't care (or voted against Nebraska...) when AAU membership was lost. Is it nice? Yes. Is it a high priority? No.

And Delaney already mentioned back in 2010 that being contiguous wasn't important or a factor--we know this because of the on-again, off-again dalliance between the B1G and Texass (that's on simmer right now), as well as some of the potential ACC grabs. Delaney may not get all of the schools he wants to out of the ACC, but I sincerely doubt he's going to jettison the whole thing just because the program states aren't in the existing contiguous footprint.

And I'm hearing that we'll see some realignment action soon after signing day in February? :confucius

The Big East is looking to add a 12th team. That's not exactly news but I found a comment by their commissioner interesting considering the discussion we've been having:

Aresco believes the conference realignment picture may be settling down, following the departure of the so-called "Catholic Seven" basketball schools from the Big East and the decisions of Boise State and San Diego State to return to the Mountain West.

Perhaps that's why he can barely keep a conference together.

ESPN Article

My list was more of me listing the things they are looking at and not really in order.

I think everyone can agree that Contiguous would be thrown out the window for Texas.

I think you are overselling athletics over AAU and research though. No school is getting an invite to the Big Ten for just athletics.

If you had a gun to my head I would say:

1. Academics

2. New markets

3. AAU

4. Top Research School

5. Flagship University

6. Athletics

7. Contiguous

Just heard that Dodds decided to take supreme control. So he cancelled the meeting and is going to make all decisions going forward. From a reliable source at west virginia.

That West Virginia dude mentioned that WVU was part of the Big Ten expansion plans :P

lol they shoud be B1G, SEC, ACC or Big East as they don't fit with the BIG 12 according to the conference footprint lol

Just heard that Dodds decided to take supreme control. So he cancelled the meeting and is going to make all decisions going forward. From a reliable source at west virginia.

That West Virginia dude mentioned that WVU was part of the Big Ten expansion plans :P

Did he really say that? He's had so many ridiculous tweets that its hard to keep up. i guess he finally deactivated his twitter account.

Yes he did :D

http://espn.go.com/b...of-league-games

TEN conference games? hmmm......

Would be interesting. I was wondering if this has something to do about having more teams in the conference.

As they mentioned, it would almost git rid of the bigger non-conference games. Probably a lot of the conference would schedule two home games which would mean lesser opponents. It's nice to have a bigger name show up every now and then but it's a little bit of a crap shoot as to whether that team is actually as good as you hoped when you scheduled them - Fresno St., Miami, probably Tennessee, Washington. At least UCLA looks to be a good one.