B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

From strange/crazy Mountaineer fan:

Notre Dame is now not the only school to tell the BiG10 "no". Hint: it's not an ACC team

Not Tx. They were in talk with BiG years ago but never outright turned down an offer.

Somehow I doubt that Kansas would turn down the Big Ten.....

Mizzou would be the only other school even possible unless I'm not thinking outside the box.

or I guess I can continue to assume he's full of horse feces

Yes he did :D

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/70464/b1g-ads-weigh-number-of-league-games

TEN conference games? hmmm......

Also, Virginia and Penn State just cancelled their non-con game w/o any fees...

...Ladies and gentlemen, may I present B1G member #15--Virginia.

Also, anyone hear why Texass was pissed after today's meeting? Unexpected bad news? :)

Yes he did :D

http://espn.go.com/b...of-league-games

TEN conference games? hmmm......

Also, Virginia and Penn State just cancelled their non-con game w/o any fees...

...Ladies and gentlemen, may I present B1G member #15--Virginia.

Also, anyone hear why Texass was pissed after today's meeting? Unexpected bad news? :)

Serfdom isn't as profitable as originally thought?

Notre Dame is now not the only school to tell the BiG10 "no". Hint: it's not an ACC team

Not Tx. They were in talk with BiG years ago but never outright turned down an offer.

Mizzou would be the only other school even possible unless I'm not thinking outside the box.

If it is legit, has to be Missouri. There's no way Kansas, who was willing to leave the Big XII for the Big East, of all conferences, would turn their nose up at the B1G.

If it is legit, has to be Missouri. There's no way Kansas, who was willing to leave the Big XII for the Big East, of all conferences, would turn their nose up at the B1G.

I don't blame them if they did.

I would probably tell the Big Ten to go screw themselves too after their embarrassing encounter a few years back

Agree. Missouri at least has a good place to be. Kansas would be in danger of being left out in the cold if things really got crazy. The only possible way it's Kansas is they said they wouldn't go anywhere without K St. and the B1G said only you so they said no.

someone made a good point on another board.

Offers aren't extended until someone applies.

Mountaineer boy has it wrong I'm sure

From what I understand, the big 10 doesn't offer unless it is a done deal. I don't know why any school would go through all the work just to say no.

Maybe the big ten reached out to a school and they said they werent interested. That wouldnt technically be an "offer". Just putting out feelers. Other boards have rumored that this school could have been Vandy. Im not saying that it was but they definitley would fit the big ten.

lol - no way it was Vandy. We're talking about a school that doesn't even have a AD. Tennessee is also a pretty crappy state in terms of recruiting grounds and demographics in general ... we're talking about a market that's smaller than Indiana.

You have to remember that the whole "Southern Migration" phenomena is largely isolated to 4 southern states : Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. All other states, while impressive in terms of % increases, actually increased about the same as the rest of the country/Midwest in absolute terms. It doesn't make sense for the Big Ten to expand to school that not in one of those four states if we're talking Southern expansion.

Agree. Missouri at least has a good place to be. Kansas would be in danger of being left out in the cold if things really got crazy. The only possible way it's Kansas is they said they wouldn't go anywhere without K St. and the B1G said only you so they said no.

Kansas' President publicly stated in 2009 that they aren't tethered to Kansas State. That was back when they were seriously looking to jump to the Big East.

---

And I'm hearing there's a rift between Texass and most of the Big XII, in that the former wants to stand pat at the current number instead of expand to 12 and get a title game going again, while the later (correctly) surmise that they need to either expand or die as a conference. We've read as much in the media as of late.

What isn't being said is that Texass could give two s***s about the rest of their conference (shocking, I know)..., but they're biding time, waiting for ESPN to buy out the Bevo TV deal and then they'll move to greener pastures. That's why they're stuck in the Big XII right now, in spite of their flirtations--if they allow the B1G or Pac-12 to repurpose Bevo TV, they don't get the contract bought out and Texass loses out on that money.

You have to remember that the whole "Southern Migration" phenomena is largely isolated to 4 southern states : Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. All other states, while impressive in terms of % increases, actually increased about the same as the rest of the country/Midwest in absolute terms. It doesn't make sense for the Big Ten to expand to school that not in one of those four states if we're talking Southern expansion.

And Texass. Let's not forget they're a viable target that has been talking with the B1G.

I could see the Big East taking Kansas, and maybe Kansas St. Primarily for basketball.

What isn't being said is that Texass could give two s***s about the rest of their conference (shocking, I know)..., but they're biding time, waiting for ESPN to buy out the Bevo TV deal and then they'll move to greener pastures. That's why they're stuck in the Big XII right now, in spite of their flirtations--if they allow the B1G or Pac-12 to repurpose Bevo TV, they don't get the contract bought out and Texass loses out on that money.

And Texass. Let's not forget they're a viable target that has been talking with the B1G.

An interesting thought this gave me. The new B1G deal in 2016 is projected has been rumored to push the B1G's average payout to 35-40 million I have read. That would be the amount Texass receives in the BigXII, 25 million about, plus Longwhorn Net, 10 million. The B1G adding Texass and creating BTN2 out of LHN along with ESPN would be a huge money maker for the B1G. Just sayin, the money makes sense.