B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

And the funny thing is that multiple conferences use GORs with their teams. Any chance that a GOR makes it to court to be scuttled will be headed off by all of the other conferences just telling that conference to just 'let it go', lest their GORs be inadvertently undone.

That, and the mere chance of any of this going to court and having everything exposed via discovery keeps teams like Notre Dame and Texass at bay. All Kansas would have to do is threaten going to court (and back those actions up), and the Big XII will capitulate--either via Texass' cowardice or the other conferences saying WTF to the Big XII.

I thought the only conferences with a GOR were B1G, PAC-12, and only recently the BIGXII. The BigEast and ACC have had an exit fee instead of the GOR, and the SEC has no agreement at all largely due to them believing they are the greatest conference in the world.

If I am wrong please correct me.

i think another reason why the big ten prefers uva over virginia tech is financial endowment.

UVA: $4.7 billion glasses-off.gif

Virginia Tech: $594 million

No knock on VaTech, They obviously have the better football program and I am thinking about going to grad school there.

UVA is just a top tier public school with an influential alumni base.

The second most important school in the ACC.

And the funny thing is that multiple conferences use GORs with their teams. Any chance that a GOR makes it to court to be scuttled will be headed off by all of the other conferences just telling that conference to just 'let it go', lest their GORs be inadvertently undone.

I've never really bought that line of reasoning. Do you really think the B1G & Pac are worried about GORs being 'undone'? Nobody in either conference is at risk of going anywhere (no, not even PSU).

I've never really bought that line of reasoning. Do you really think the B1G & Pac are worried about GORs being 'undone'? Nobody in either conference is at risk of going anywhere (no, not even PSU).

Nothing ever stays the same forever, and schools that are content today could be upset tomorrow. Remember, a 16-team WAC was undone from infighting from within; whose to say that won't happen in an 18 or 20-team B1G or 16 team SEC/PAC down the road?

I thought the only conferences with a GOR were B1G, PAC-12, and only recently the BIGXII. The BigEast and ACC have had an exit fee instead of the GOR, and the SEC has no agreement at all largely due to them believing they are the greatest conference in the world.

If I am wrong please correct me.

No, you're right. But it's been long suspected that a GOR is coming alongside the SEC Network currently in development. I doubt the Big East could get a GOR in place, and the ACC may not exist in any form to create one. That leaves your four main conferences with GORs in place.

Soooooooo, this thread has pretty much died. Does that mean that expansion is pretty much on hold for the time being?

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Let's try to get you up to speed. The courts in Maryland will look at the exit fee around the 18th of Feb. The ACC wants everyone to sign a GOR. NBC told ND that they can't sign one, breach of contract. FSU has sent a "plan" to the BIG, even though they are not AAU they are ranked higher than DONU as far as acedemics and Delany is impressed with thier efforts to achieve AAU status. Clemson has refused to sign the GOR (grant of rights) along with FSU and I believe NC and GT. The SEC doesn't want FSU because UF has the T.V. market in FL too. The Big 12 wants FSU but won't move until the BIG does, I think they will be happy with Clemson and the midwest, Louisville etc. The Big 12 can't survive at 10 and will add leftovers. The PAC 12 will look for 2 more but doesn't have to hurry. Once the ACC falls, the SEC will grab VT, NCst and push for Clemson (this one could be a battle with the Big 12). Delany is shrewd, he could be setting up a smoke screen much like he did with Missouri and actually going after a basketball conference by adding NC and KS. That would give the BIG TV coverage from August through March and by adding FSU, GT and NC, he will own the market from May to July with baseball. This would assure the BIG gets a team in the football playoff, March Madness and the road to Omaha. Its all about the bejamin's.

• Fire 1

The ACC wants everyone to sign a GOR. NBC told ND that they can't sign one, breach of contract. FSU has sent a "plan" to the BIG, even though they are not AAU they are ranked higher than DONU as far as acedemics and Delany is impressed with thier efforts to achieve AAU status. Clemson has refused to sign the GOR (grant of rights) along with FSU and I believe NC and GT.

Is there any source of this outside of the WVU story tellers?

BTW if the SEC won't take FSU due to duplication of markets why in the world would they take Clemson?

The weirdest thing about the ACC is that they are one defection away from no longer being a Southern majority conference. They currently stand at 7 ACC and 7 former Big East members (+ND) and they do not have a viable Southern replacement team if they lose any of the other founding members.

Yes, yes, I realize that two of those Big East teams were Louisville and Miami but neither of those two locations are what I consider an embodiment of Southern culture.

Let's try to get you up to speed. .... . That would give the BIG TV coverage from August through March and by adding FSU, GT and NC, he will own the market from May to July with baseball. This would assure the BIG gets a team in the football playoff, March Madness and the road to Omaha. Its all about the bejamin's.

Decent summation of possible events.

The weirdest thing about the ACC is that they are one defection away from no longer being a Southern majority conference. They currently stand at 7 ACC and 7 former Big East members (+ND) and they do not have a viable Southern replacement team if they lose any of the other founding members.

Yes, yes, I realize that two of those Big East teams were Louisville and Miami but neither of those two locations are what I consider an embodiment of Southern culture.

:D I actually had to look up what side of the Civil War Kentucky was on. Still there only 4 Union states in the ACC, Maryland was also Union.