Global Warming

http://www.dailymail...t-prove-it.html

Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released... and here is the chart to prove it

• The figures reveal that from the beginning of 1997 until August 2012 there was no discernible rise in aggregate global temperatures
  • This means that the ‘pause’ in global warming has now lasted for about the same time as the previous period when temperatures rose, 1980 to 1996

The world stopped getting warmer almost 16 years ago, according to new data released last week.

The figures, which have triggered debate among climate scientists, reveal that from the beginning of 1997 until August 2012, there was no discernible rise in aggregate global temperatures.

This means that the ‘plateau’ or ‘pause’ in global warming has now lasted for about the same time as the previous period when temperatures rose, 1980 to 1996. Before that, temperatures had been stable or declining for about 40 years.

British Met Office refutes "misleading" claim "global warming stopped 16 years ago"

http://minnesota.pub...futes_mis.shtml

"It's very dangerous, misleading, and scientifically dishonest to pick any one 16 year period and make inferences about where long term climate trends are headed."

How ironic is this statement? Saying that cherry picking a 16 year period is too short, yet at the same time we have people blaming this years drought on global warming or the 2005 hurricane season on global warming or some big tornado outbreak. I think this is where the climate scientists get themselves in trouble. They would serve their cause better renouncing the Al Gore's of the world who jump on every weather disaster and tries to say it's global warming. Instead stick to the facts that are known and get those facts to the public.

HSKR I'm not sure where you heard that but I think the national climate center has said the current drought is not related to goal warming, but La Nina. Or that it was indeterminate whether or not global warming had any effect on the drought.

http://en.wikipedia...._global_warming

Scientists questioning the accuracy of IPCC climate projections

Scientists in this section have made comments that it is not possible to project global climate accurately enough to justify the ranges projected for temperature and sea-level rise over the next century. They may not conclude specifically that the current IPCC projections are either too high or too low, but that the projections are likely to be inaccurate due to inadequacies of current global climate modeling.

Scientists arguing that global warming is primarily caused by natural processes

Scientists in this section have made comments that the observed warming is more likely attributable to natural causes than to human activities. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

Scientists arguing that the cause of global warming is unknown

Scientists in this section have made comments that no principal cause can be ascribed to the observed rising temperatures, whether man-made or natural. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

Scientists arguing that global warming will have few negative consequences

Scientists in this section have made comments that projected rising temperatures will be of little impact or a net positive for human society and/or the Earth's environment. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

Well, then.

We have a culturally ingrained obsession with apocalyptic prophecy. It's not unique to us, but not every society shares it.

It's why so many people here started to stockpile goods and arms for the millennium. (Which, of course, should technically have been 2001 anyway because there was no year zero.) I watched some discussion panel that featured some folks from the world of academia who specialized in South American studies. They said the Mayans were very sophisticated in terms of studying astronomy, and thus were aware of the need for a leap year. They used leap months and leap, or shortened, weeks instead. It was more flexible (which isn't a synonym for better, it was just different) than what we do. Point being, they had a solid foundation for charting time, and a cyclical notion of it which differs from how we see it, which I would say is more of a linear view. These cycles contained a number of centuries that I can't recall exactly, 5,000 years or so, give or take 500 years. When a cycle ended...a new one started. That's it. So 2012 would have meant nothing to the Mayans, according to what I watched.

No one can state with 100% certainty that global warming is happening, and that it is a direct result of human activity. However, the exact opposite is true as well. To vehemently argue either side with absolution is folly. Imho, it seems prudent to err on the side of caution. I DO know there is an ever increasing mass of plastic that collects where currents meet in the ocean. That's probably not great. BP dumping an obscene amount of oil into the seabed can't be ideal. Fukishima was worse than Chernobyl, which was one of the true nightmare events when I was a kid. Radiation pouring into the sea? Well, radiation occurs naturally from the sun...that's true. It's still not good for organic matter. So those things concern me, just in terms of altering the earth-wide food chain. Poisoning aquatic environments is possible. If, somehow, we kill off plankton like we did the passenger pigeon, that will affect us. And not in a good way.

So I'd propose that being eco-aware is good policy, not because of any charts or the words of any politician or even a scientist, for that matter. (Even though that is what they, meaning scientists, do for a living.) It's where we live. Where our kids will live. Anyone would strip asbestos and lead paint from their home without need of prompting. Why not apply that to the planet we live on?

Because alarmist media articles don't care about science. They just like jumping up and down and screaming, 'OMG!'

Remember that this is an academic issue, not a political one. Ask yourself, "Do I have a dog in this fight? Do I want to believe a certain angle as a part of my 'views'?" If so, you're doing it wrong.

I wonder if this is not a uniquely American trend.

Since when has this ever been just an academic issue? It has never been an academic issue, it has always been political.