5 LB's vs Northwestern?

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/should_nu_play_five_linebackers_against_northwestern/

Interesting read, but I don't know how I would feel with this move. Besides Compton, the other LB's are not that reliable, even though Whaley is slowly proving himself. I am just not sure who else you would have, besides Brown, unless you pull red shirts, and pointed out earlier on other threads, its basically too late and a waste if any were pulled.

Your thoughts?

3-5 with Martin filling the Middle. Compton calling the D from strongside. Whaley on the other side. Evans/Seisay on the edges to contain and/or cover the cross route. Martin gets himself into the backfield on every passing down from his LBer spot, stuffs the run on 1st.

at least one thing is certain - they wouldn't bet us to the edge.

It would definitely be a great scheme, but will Pelini have a change of heart on how he wants the defense to perform? He has been resistant to the 3-4 as it is, but who knows, he seems to be a lot more willing to make a few changes.

Redshirts wont mean jack if we lose the next two games.

Do you read what you typed? If we lose the next two games, what would the point be on pulling talented players red shirts? To still have a losing season and ruin a year of eligibility? Even now would be completely pointless.

Not really, while we ARE halfway through the season, we still control our own destiny. Ask those kids if they'd like a chance to play the rest of this season and give us a shot at a B1G title. I bet you anything they say yes......................I'm torn on the subject.

I don't see how that works.

IMO I'd rather see a 3-3 5 or 4-2-5 with 3 safties than use 5 linebackers.

Play the normal cover 2 and have the extra safety dedicated to Colter every snap he's at QB and on Mark every snap Colter is at WR . (With the shift to Colter and Mark on motions dependent on wether Colter recieves the ball in the backfield)

Question--would Martin be moved back to LB in this scenario? Or would still we play him on the line if we go with a 3-5?

For one, I think most of our players should be dynamic and be able to play more than one type of defense. This will help with hurry up offenses, so we don't have to burn time outs for substitution. On a 3-5, he would play as a LB, and if we went to a 4-3, he would move back to the line, IMO.