What Did We Learn???

I went back and re-read the 'Northwestern: What do we have to do to win and here were the top suggestions on how to beat Northwestern. Comment on how you think we did:

>Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball:

>Don’t turn the ball over

>Defense needs to play decent, offense needs to take care of the ball

>Put Paps in the box with Joseph

>Don’t quit on yourself or your team

>Play with passion and fire. Play angry. Play mad. get some. Play a complete four quarters.

>Showing up for all four quarters

>Better play calling

>Slow down the tempo offensively

>Don't beat ourselves.

*By the way, to the naysayers:

>WE ARE NU!!!! (Not Northwestern)

>They did not put 40 points on us.

>We did NOT exit with a loss

>We CAN defend a mobile quarterback

>We CAN win on the road

We learned that even with a top ten offense, people will still bitch about play calling.

Which I am completely guilty of, but play action on 3rd and short is kinda dumb...

true. Our oline hasnt shown enough competence on a consistent basis to call a play like that on third and long from our own, what, 2. and it should have been a safety. Just run the ball up the middle and punt.

We learned that even with a top ten offense, people will still bitch about play calling.

Which I am completely guilty of, but play action on 3rd and short is kinda dumb...

true. Our oline hasnt shown enough competence on a consistent basis to call a play like that on third and long from our own, what, 2. and it should have been a safety. Just run the ball up the middle and punt.

The play action on 3rd and short wouldn't be as bad of a call if they didn't run it so freaking often. The whole point of running the play action is to catch the defense cheating on the run. But if they know it's probably going to be a pass anyway, how does the play action accomplish what it's supposed to?

What I learned was that TM's new found throwing motion isn't a mirage. He put several of those passes on an absolute line. I also learned that our WRs learned how to catch, which is a completely refreshing change from last year.

The play action on 3rd and short wouldn't be as bad of a call if they didn't run it so freaking often. The whole point of running the play action is to catch the defense cheating on the run. But if they know it's probably going to be a pass anyway, how does the play action accomplish what it's supposed to? I would say in this situation they would be cheating on the run. Deep down like that, as a defensive mind, one would think run. The only problem I saw with that play was the "lookout" block by the line that blew the play up. Which leads to the point that calling plays like that on our own goal line is just not a good idea until the line proves there consistency.

What I learned was that TM's new found throwing motion isn't a mirage. He put several of those passes on an absolute line. I also learned that our WRs learned how to catch, which is a completely refreshing change from last year. I'll agree with you here. He's looking very sharp as the year goes on. There was one throw when we had a 3rd and 18 or something, and he put a 25 yard pass on a frozen rope to Turner along the sideline into traffic that got the first down, but it was called back on something. I think another lineman not on the line bullsh#t.

The play action on 3rd and short wouldn't be as bad of a call if they didn't run it so freaking often. The whole point of running the play action is to catch the defense cheating on the run. But if they know it's probably going to be a pass anyway, how does the play action accomplish what it's supposed to? I would say in this situation they would be cheating on the run. Deep down like that, as a defensive mind, one would think run. The only problem I saw with that play was the "lookout" block by the line that blew the play up. Which leads to the point that calling plays like that on our own goal line is just not a good idea until the line proves there consistency.

What I learned was that TM's new found throwing motion isn't a mirage. He put several of those passes on an absolute line. I also learned that our WRs learned how to catch, which is a completely refreshing change from last year. I'll agree with you here. He's looking very sharp as the year goes on. There was one throw when we had a 3rd and 18 or something, and he put a 25 yard pass on a frozen rope to Turner along the sideline into traffic that got the first down, but it was called back on something. I think another lineman not on the line bullsh#t.

That was Sirles who wasn't on the line. Most of us thought it was a bullsh*t call.

Which most of them were. Man the refs blew hard today.

Well Bo addressed in the presser that they were warned about our tackles being off the line on pass pro. But it's all about interpretation there and when you wanna call it, like holding. It's not something that can be defined throughouly, so to call it at a moment like that I have to agree with you is bullsh#t.