Rich Fisher

Well... as a bottom liner, the only units that have improved are the WR's & maybe the DB's. Those coaches get kudos.

The OL, the DL, the LBer's, the special teams and the overall team (pointing to the head coach), have either slightly regressed or have flat-lined.

So... the buck stops at the coach. Fischer for certain & maybe, maybe Joseph are the only coaches fielding units that are improving. All other coaches... including the head coach... have the arrow pointed the wrong way (or, have no trend other than status quo).

Overall, dismal coaching (as evidenced by confused players not lining up well, penalties, fumbling, lack of turnovers on the D, poor technique in the trenches, in tackling, disengaging blocks, pad level, etc. just all sorts of obvious problems with overall coaching). But several guys are doing well.

Fischer the most obvious one who is earning his pay.

Tim Beck being QB coach & OC has progressed the most in my opinion. These kids, Bell, Turner, Enunwa, Marlowe and Allen, came from high school as complete studs. If it wasn't for an QB who can throw, no one would know the potential these kids have. You have a good QB, who can throw, he can make any WR look good, as long as they can pull the ball in. Martinez isn't perfect, but he is a milestone away from where he was last year.

I love Coach Pap and think he'll be great.. just not sure he's the right fit for Bo. Bo needs a DC that is a great in game adjuster and isn't afraid to go to to toe with the head coach on calls. Not sure Pap is the first and wether he can be the 2nd under the guy that groomed him.

Coach Kaz, not sure of yet. Seems like a good coach but he was a good coach at Iowa but had a personality that didn't fit with players. We'll see if it fits here.

We have two issues on this staff -

Els I dunno. Lavonte made him look really good. I want to see how some of the young guys progress under him. But as a linebacker coach it's not a problem. I thought he gave us a bit of energy when he became the recruiting coordinator but that's stalled out. But the big problem is special teams. Under Els our Special Teams are ABYSMAL. Either he's stretched to thin or he just can't do special teams. Either way that's got to change.

The second is our S&C on Defense. I love what Dobson has done with our Offense but Defensively since moving to the Big Ten the weight our guys are putting on hasn't been good and it's made them very slow and less athletic. They need to go back to where they were doing before they overthought the Big Ten style.

Ross Ells is the one I question the most....

His 2nd year and he has brought talent into our program. Look at his coaching on what Santos can do on the field. Three 4* linebackers (depending on who you look at) have verbally committed here for next year. Its hard to retrain kids your way, when they have been taught another way before you got there. He is making the best out of what he has right now. If Compton and Fisher were faster, you would see them be more dynamic.

Out of all of our coaches, Barney Cotten is the one I question the most, and who may not have a job at the end of the season.

Even with Cotton, the o-line better start a downward spiral now, and it better be a fast one for him to lose his job, because to say that the O-line hasnt progressed positively over the last 4 years (starting with the dismal '09 version) is just not know what talking about.

Do you think that has more to do with Garrison or Cotton? The OL is probably the most undisciplined group of players on the field. How many penalties, of all the penalties we have, have came from them? Too many. You don't see many penalties from the defense, except for the occasional holding, but they are told to hold if your going to get burned, better for 15 yards than 6 points. Only person you see making knuckle-headed penalties on the defensive side is Stafford, even on special teams, as we witnessed on Saturday. The OL has gotten better in its ways, but there are things not improving, such as false starts, unblocked linemen, ineligible receivers, and so on.

I have to admit, nothing looks better than when T-mart hits Bell in stride and he just keeps going. The guy has all the makings of a stud NFL receiver. Enunwa is dang tough. The guy is going to be another Hines Ward. Let's get the ball to Allen a few more times too. Turner. We should we trying a lot more bubble screens and such. Hard to divvy up the ball when you have so much talent.

I will hold comment on this topic until next week at this time. My guess is I will not need to make any comment as the ones above will be all replaced with fire the lot.

We beat Northwestern, yes a average team in a below average conference. We lost to Ohio State who squeaked out a victory over Purdue. Calm down grasshoppers, we have done nothing yet. Really won't until we meet a real team in a bowl game if we get one. We win out, which as pathetic as this conference is, we get to play a real BCS player. Then if we pull off a win you can start talking about how great each and every coach is. Right now we have lost to the two best teams we faced, and we have the best of the remaining this weekend.

I think the kids are trying hard, still not sure we have the level of coaches this program requires and deserves.

Rich Fisher hiring was great.

Ross Ells hiring was great

Tim Beck's promotion was great

Terry Joseph's hiring was great

Rick Kaczenski's hiring was great

John Papuchis' promotion is still questionable, but I have a feeling will be great.

He has hired/promoted a lot of coaches that are doing great things for us, and a lot of them, or most of them have been equally scrutinized as much as the other. Quality coaching staff, and takes more than a year or two to see their best performances.

Ross Ells is the one I question the most....

People throw the word "great" around way too much. :wasted

I have to admit, nothing looks better than when T-mart hits Bell in stride and he just keeps going. The guy has all the makings of a stud NFL receiver. Enunwa is dang tough. The guy is going to be another Hines Ward. Let's get the ball to Allen a few more times too. Turner. We should we trying a lot more bubble screens and such. Hard to divvy up the ball when you have so much talent.

Kenny Bell is doing well in college... but it is way, way too early to say he will be a stud NFL WR. He is small, slight, and not very physical... which at the next level does not bode well. Yes, he is fast, quick, has good vision and is good... really good in college. But, the NFL is something different.

Now... as for body, size, strength, physicality and hands... if one asserts that Enunwa may have NFL in his future... that is not entirely unreasonable... it is too early for us to say there too... but he has the size/strength/speed (maybe)/physicality combo that is NFL stuff. Bell... very small & slight.

I agree some what, but these were top recruits, which in the receiving corps we normally do not get. I give a lot of credit to the players, and will wait to see what he does with the next batch, before I say any are good enough.

fair enough. makes sense.

OK....so let me get this straight.

If we have a player that isn't getting it done on the field, the coaches suck.

If we have a player doing really good things on the field it is because they are simply good and doing it in spite of the coach.

Got it.....

Kenny Bell is doing well in college... but it is way, way too early to say he will be a stud NFL WR. He is small, slight, and not very physical... which at the next level does not bode well. Yes, he is fast, quick, has good vision and is good... really good in college. But, the NFL is something different.

Now... as for body, size, strength, physicality and hands... if one asserts that Enunwa may have NFL in his future... that is not entirely unreasonable... it is too early for us to say there too... but he has the size/strength/speed (maybe)/physicality combo that is NFL stuff. Bell... very small & slight.

I think I've seen KB block enough DBs out of the play to disprove that he's not very physical.

I agree with you about the NFL caliber deal. Bell also has time to put on weight, as he is only a sophomore. Enunwa will be a stud if he stays healthy. He has what it takes to be a WR or a DB at the next level.