Starting TB returning punts...

I'm of the opinion that you put your best players on Special Teams. It's a contact sport and they could be hurt on a handoff just as much as a kickoff. We have atrocious blocking on kickoffs, and half the guys out there are second and third string. Those two things are related.

Exactly. When it takes 15 possessions throughout a football game to score 30 offensive points - you don't need to be giving up 7-14 points because of 2 special teams plays. Maher, as a punter this year is terrible. I don't think he's had a single game without a 15 yard shank. We've downright had our a$$es handed to us in field position this year. (or at least many times it's appeared that way). How many snaps has Martinez taken standing in the end zone this year? Add in the drops, the penalties, and the long returns allowed and our ST play is putting way too much pressure on both the offense and defense.

96th in kickoff return yardage allowed

114th in punt return yardage allowed

add that in with a 50+ ranked punter and you're not winning field possession battles.

Bottom line: we need the best players on the field for every play. That's what gives you the best chance to win.

Bell and Ameer have the same chances to "break a game open" with a return. They are all elusive and fast. I think by far, Bell is our most elusive player, who doesn't back track to gain yards. Turner could have costed us a few drives if the opponent was able to tackle.

De'Anthony Thomas says Hello! Part of being elusive is being able to run sideline to sideline and make people miss...

Ok.... Hello? Sorry, I forgot to mention an Oregon player in a Nebraska topic ;) Not sure what you meant by that, but Turner, Ameer and Bell make people miss, but you NEVER run backwards, that is Turner's issue. Also, you don't have to run sideline to sideline to be elusive. Elusive, is being able to cut side to side with no hesitation, causing people to miss or break their ankles lol

Catching a punt is a lot harder than it looks. When I coached 9th grade fb one year I literally had no won who could consistantly catch a punt tha was a skill player. The best punt catcher we had was a guard on the team.

After catching a punt the returner then has to make the first guy miss in order to be a great punt returner. He also has to be fearless when gunners are coming straight at you.

Obviously Turner is not out there because he doesn't grade out as well as AA does in practice.

Mike Rozier used to always return kicks when he was at NU. 1# one RB do it all the time.

I'm not too worried about Ameer getting injured on a return. As knapp said, you can just as easily get injured on a hand off.

What I am worried about is Ameer getting worn down. He seems to lose a step as the game wears on. Taking him off return duty would go a long way in keeping him fresh. Or, if you absolutely have to keep him on returns, give Heard and Cross the ball more.

I'm not too worried about Ameer getting injured on a return. As knapp said, you can just as easily get injured on a hand off.

What I am worried about is Ameer getting worn down. He seems to lose a step as the game wears on. Taking him off return duty would go a long way in keeping him fresh. Or, if you absolutely have to keep him on returns, give Heard and Cross the ball more.

That is why I am a believer that we should be giving the ball to Heard, Janovich and Cross throughout the game to help Ameer get some energy and keep him as close to 100% throughout the game.

Catching a punt is a lot harder than it looks. When I coached 9th grade fb one year I literally had no won who could consistantly catch a punt tha was a skill player. The best punt catcher we had was a guard on the team.

fortunately Nebraska has (or should have) better players than you did. it should not be difficult.

yeah, the day we roll Spencer Long out there to field a punt I'm dun, F O R E V E R.

fortunately Nebraska has (or should have) better players than you did. it should not be difficult.

yeah, the day we roll Spencer Long out there to field a punt I'm dun, F O R E V E R.

or have your DL kick a game winning field goal hahahah. That Lions game still makes me crack up, and leave it for Suh to actually try it LOL.