Voting in Florida

I smell actual voter fraud.

http://www.huffingto...html?1352061746

In Miami-Dade on Saturday, people who had gotten in line by 7:00 p.m. were allowed to vote; the last person wasn't checked in until 1 a.m., meaning it took some individuals six hours to cast a ballot.

"We're looking at an election meltdown that is eerily similar to 2000, minus the hanging chads," said Dan Smith, a political science professor at the University of Florida.

A major reason there are so many problems at the polls is that last year, Florida's GOP-controlled legislature shortened the number of early voting days from 14 to eight, meaning all early voters are trying to cast their ballots in a shorter window. Previously, Floridians were allowed to vote on the Sunday before Election Day -- a day that typically had high traffic.

But losing that final Sunday isn't the only problem. Smith said that he and Dartmouth professor Michael Herron found that in 2008, voters 65 or older were much more likely to cast ballots in the first five days of early voting than members of other age groups, alleviating some of the pressure at the polls in the remaining days. Those extra days, however, are gone this year, leading to a compression that the system has been unable to handle.

With swing state and national polls virtual ties, I expect BOTH sides to challenge the final results. You do not spend over 2 BILION DOLLARS combined and walk away. BOTH sides have already sent out teams of lawyers to file challenges if they feel that it is warranted. Throw in what Carl mentioned above, Sandy, the issues in Ohio with the mailed out absentee ballots, Fl also not allowing some military to vote do to not having voted in the 2 previous cycles, and the allegation of some machines not working correctly in Nevada, Ohio and NC you have a recipe for complete and total disaster.

I do not think a clear winner will be declared on Wednesday morning, nor to I think either side will concede victory to the other.

How many days are polls open in Nebraska, my state opens at 7am on Tuesday and closes at 8pm that night. So I don't know why there is a huge deal about this. I was surprised that they had 8 days, 14 seems crazy.

Nebraska polling sites are a little more* sparsely populated . . . don't you think?

*edit. I should sloow dooown. :)

How many days are polls open in Nebraska, my state opens at 7am on Tuesday and closes at 8pm that night. So I don't know why there is a huge deal about this. I was surprised that they had 8 days, 14 seems crazy.

Nebraska polling sites are a little less sparsely populated . . . don't you think?

:). I think you mean more sparsely populated.

Anyhow, I'm in Nebraska and I voted in September (or maybe early October) by mail, but it was also possible for me to vote that same date at the courthouse if I'd wanted to do it that way instead.

Nebraska polling sites are a little less sparsely populated . . . don't you think?

:). I think you mean more sparsely populated.

Anyhow, I'm in Nebraska and I voted in September (or maybe early October) by mail, but it was also possible for me to vote that same date at the courthouse if I'd wanted to do it that way instead.

Fixed. Thanks. :thumbs

And now in Ohio:

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/05/ohio_republicans_sneak_risky_software_onto_voting_machines/?source=newsletter

On Friday evening, at Huffington Post, journalist Art Levine followed up with a piece that, among other things, advanced the story by breaking the news that Fitrakis and his attorney Cliff Arnebeck were filing a lawsuit for an immediate injunction against Husted and ES&S to “halt the use of secretly installed, unauthorized ‘experimental’ software in 39 counties’ tabulators.” Levine also reported that Arnebeck had referred the matter to the Cincinnati FBI for criminal investigation of what the Ohio attorney describes as “a flagrant violation of the law.”

“Before you add new software, you need approval of a state board,” says Arnebeck. “They are installing an uncertified, suspect software patch that interfaces between the county’s vote tabulation equipment and state tabulators.” Arnebeck’s alarm is understandable.

Screw voting machines and computers. The old fashion paper ballot still used in Nebraska is the safest bet. Actually destroying ballots is a lot different than changing parts of a software program.

I would also be interested to know whom the people working for the voting machine makers were donating money to.

Nebraska polling sites are a little more* sparsely populated . . . don't you think?

*edit. I should sloow dooown. :)

Nebraska has reduced the number of rural voting places in the panhandle.

And I live in Maryland, which last I checked has a pretty heavily populated state, actually its more heavily populated per square mile then Florida. And we vote in one day.

There were some serious issues in the primary in Eastern Omaha, the Douglas County Election Commissioner initially reduced the number of polling places(nearly all of them east of 72st) and moved them to illogical locations (Like the polling place in Benson Tower, where the people who lived in the building were not able to vote at that precinct. Seems to be more or less all restored to the way it was for the General though.