Voting with the 1%

Sounds a bit different than the 5-8 hour lines in Miami-Dade.

For the seven years I’ve lived in L.A., I thought it was rustic and warm that I voted in the living room of the ranger’s house in Griffith Park. Then I realized I didn’t move to L.A. to be rustic and warm; I moved here to be rich and famous and not have to deal with people who are lowly park rangers.

That’s when I found out that I live in the wrong part of L.A. In Bel Air, citizens in two precincts vote at the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, which provides free valet parking, hors d’oeuvres, wi‑fi, election coverage on two flat-screen TVs and a voting butler. I made up the voting-butler part, but I’m sure if I ask for one, they’ll provide it.

http://swampland.tim.../#ixzz2BdxMdNeU

There's a reason that in states like Texass and Florida, the ratio of potential voters to polling stations is exceptionally high, while it's extremely low for the suburbs and beyond.

Nothing like passive voter suppression to help try and weed out those who can't stand in line all day to vote.

There's a reason that in states like Texass and Florida, the ratio of potential voters to polling stations is exceptionally high, while it's extremely low for the suburbs and beyond.

Nothing like passive voter suppression to help try and weed out those who can't stand in line all day to vote.

It's a coincidence. ;)

I'm sure they will play the line about the 'cost' of all the machines they 'need' for extra precincts. Here's an idea, take a lesson from Nebraska and use paper ballots, the machines used to count paper ballots are much cheaper, and you don't need anymore of them if you have more polling places.

Figures. The places that it takes 5 hours to vote are sh*tholes but the place you wouldn't mind hanging for half a day, you can get right in to vote. My guess is that Murphy is in charge. Seriously though, this isn't an issue of the rich being catered to by the powers that be. I'm sure it's just a rare case of a well off business taking hospitalitt over the top in an effort to promote their business. Wish there was a place like that where I vote. Not too many years ago they did have a cookie tray and coffee at my old polling location. A far cry from tuna tartar and valet parking I know.

Who is in charge of setting up polling places?

Its somewhat state dependent, but the Secretary of State is ultimately responsible. Many states break it down to County Election Commissioners, generally an appointed position. Which gives too much room for corruption and manipulation.

I think at least some of the blame should also fall on the voters. I have seen reports that some people took up to 1 hour to vote after getting into the booth. People need to come prepared to vote before they go to the polling place. Sadly, some people just came out to vote for the presidential election, and had little or no idea what was on the rest of the ballot.

I think at least some of the blame should also fall on the voters. I have seen reports that some people took up to 1 hour to vote after getting into the booth. People need to come prepared to vote before they go to the polling place. Sadly, some people just came out to vote for the presidential election, and had little or no idea what was on the rest of the ballot.

Which was also by design in places like Florida with something like an 11 page ballot with full texts of amendments.

This isn't an accident . . . it's a feature.