Stats Thing

Good stuff. Thanks!

Also believe I heard somewhere recently that Huskers are one of a handful of teams in the top 20 both offensively and defensively. Anything to confirm that?

I think I heard something like that too. Can't remember where/when.

We're 29th in scoring offense and 31st in scoring defense though.

Good stuff. Thanks!

Also believe I heard somewhere recently that Huskers are one of a handful of teams in the top 20 both offensively and defensively. Anything to confirm that?

We need to improve in the red zone and this would skyrocket.

Decided to take stats from only common opponents as well as the first WI/NU game. Some things kind of jumped out at me when comparing games against each other as well as OSU, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Penn State.

Offensively:

Yards per rushing attempt (not the NET), Wisconsin = 4.38, NU = 5.7. Using the NET yards in the equation, Wisconsin's average drops to 3.36, with NU at just over 5.

Yards per game between all the common opponents: Wisconsin: 327, Nebraska: 446

Rushing/Passing TD's: Wisconsin - 15, Nebraska 19

First Downs: Wisconsin - 87, Nebraska - 114

Turnovers (ugh): Wisconsin 3, Nebraska 13. OUCHIE OUCHIE OUCHIE!!

Penalties ... Wisconsin 13-135, Nebraska 36-319 Another OUCHIE OUCHIE OUCHIE!!

Now defensively...

Rushing yards per attempt: Wisconsin 4.38, Nebraska 5.14 (using NET yards per attempt - Wisconsin 3.78 per, Nebraska 4.63)

Average yards allowed per common opponent: Wisconsin 312, Nebraska 344

Rushing/Passing TD's allowed: Wisconsin 11 (only 4 are rushing TD's), Nebraska 18 (14 rushing TD's given up!!)

First Downs: Wisconsin 88, Nebraska 84

Turnovers: Wisconsin 5, Nebraska 9

Points: Wisconsin 104 (20.8 avg), Nebraska 151 (30.2 avg - damn you Ohio State game!)

What's all this tellin' me? Nothing really (except our offense is better than theirs on paper, and their defense better than ours on paper), but the turnovers and penalties are far more glaring when the numbers are in full view.

our offense was ranked 58th in November. rough month for the unit. but wisconsin was ranked 85th through that same period.

nebraska defense was ranked 6th during that period. wisconsin's was 14th.

I'm not sure there is a huge difference between a 58th ranked unit, and an 85th ranked unit. defensively we match up pretty similar. like most games the Huskers play - it will come down to whether or not we can overcome the inevitable 2-3 turnovers. this is a 3 point game for that reason. otherwise Nebraska should be way out in front.

Good stuff. Thanks!

We need to improve in the red zone and this would skyrocket.

I think our red zone offense has improved. Its called Rex Burkhead ;)

our offense was ranked 58th in November. rough month for the unit. but wisconsin was ranked 85th through that same period.

nebraska defense was ranked 6th during that period. wisconsin's was 14th.

I'm not sure there is a huge difference between a 58th ranked unit, and an 85th ranked unit. defensively we match up pretty similar. like most games the Huskers play - it will come down to whether or not we can overcome the inevitable 2-3 turnovers. this is a 3 point game for that reason. otherwise Nebraska should be way out in front.

I completly agree, turnovers has to be our main focus. With Baker out we can't afford to turn the ball over & keep our defense on the field for long periods of time.