The Martinez Legacy?

Ok, so the title is intended to be sarcastic, but in all seriousness, think about what Martinez has and may achieve for this program. As previously stated in countless other threads, Martinez is going to finish his career at NU holding nearly every offensive record barring an extreme injury. Add to that what should be atleast one Big 10 title and BCS birth if not two.

Beyond the stats, look at the big picture of his impact. He is Bo's first qb to start consecutive seasons. I feel this has added stability to the program. Something NU was desperately needing after Ganz and Lee. Both Ganz and Lee were good in their own right, just short on elegibility and playing time due to injury. Having a consistant starter for a couple years allows the staff to groom and prepare others going forward.

Looking further ahead, it's impossible to name the next qb to start after Martinez, but it will likely be Tommy Armstrong or Johnny Stanton based soley on hype (i have no inside info). Either way, neither will be "new" to the system and will have "some" experience coming in. My point is, NU has a very bright future and looks to be building momentum without having to play a freshmen or start over.

Hopefully this is only the beginning for this offense and it continues to snowball. It's kind of funny how 5 to 10 years from now we may look back and see how the much maligned Martinez was the lynch pin for getting this program back on track and to the next level of contending for CC's and BCS bowls consitantly. I can't say I've been a staunch supporter from day 1, but since the OSU game last year I've been onboard 100%.

My question is what does HB think? agree? disagree? other?

Side note: This is also testiment to the coaching staff as well.

• Fire 1

I've definitely been hard on Martinez (and continue to criticize some of the decisions and mistakes he makes), but there's no denying he will leave a lasting impression on this program. Time will tell if we can truly call this the Martinez "legacy" b/c those typically feature championships. But there is no mistaking his huge strides as a QB have made a huge impact and could very well land us back where we belong as a perennial national power.

He will not be fully appreciated until he is gone, and that is really sad.

I think the success and recognition he's had this year should help a lot of Husker fans realize just how good he really is. But the fact remains that we need to win championships in order for him to be truly appreciated as one of NU's best. Look back and all you see from our best QB's are championships. They maybe didn't have all the yards or TDs that Martinez has (will have), but they knew how to win championships, and that is the real gauge of a legacy.

I have been a supporter of Martinez since day one. I recognized that he was a Freshman then a Sophomore and injured and playing for multiple OCs...etc. Those aren't just excuses. Those were reality of what he went through his first three years in Nebraska. The kid is an amazing athlete. Now, since he is healthy and in the second year with this OC, we are finally seeing what he can do as a QB. I continue to be impressed with how he manages this offense.

Yes, he has fumblitis and it bugs me. But, other than that, he has played at an extremely high level and this offense wouldn't work anywhere close to this high of level if he wasn't there.

Some fans will NEVER give him credit even after he is gone. Just this morning I had an employee in my office that I talk Husker football with often. He was still bagging on Martinez claiming his fear this weekend is that he can't throw and we won't be able to win if we can't throw. Seriously....this was the conversation.

I hope he continues to improve and the team around him continues to improve and we have two Big Ten titles in this year and next. THEN, I hope he doesn't have a bad enough taste in his mouth from our fans that he actually has good memories from Nebraska and continues to be a big part of the program like some former players have been.

It's only fitting that he won't be fully appreciated until he's gone, though. He has 15-16 more games to play in his career. It's premature to talk about his legacy when he still has 25% of it to create.

Let's appreciate the fact that he's our team's leader, the unquestioned MVP of the 2012 season thus far, and that he's engineered some pretty brilliant comebacks this year. Let's appreciate his hard work in the offseason, his dedication to the team in the face of frequent uncalled-for criticism from his own fans, and the fact that he's always represented Nebraska in the most positive light.

His legacy isn't written yet. It's being written, but it's by no means finished. Until it is, let's just enjoy having him on the team, as wonderful and frustrating as he is.

• Fire 5

Some fans will NEVER give him credit even after he is gone. Just this morning I had an employee in my office that I talk Husker football with often. He was still bagging on Martinez claiming his fear this weekend is that he can't throw and we won't be able to win if we can't throw. Seriously....this was the conversation.

If some Husker fans are this bad, think about those teams that don't lead the conference in Passing. :ahhhhhhhh

Well, it's no different than I was talking to another fan the other day who said something like....."Imagine what we could do if our F***ing line could run block?"

I looked at him and said..."You aren't 8th in the nation and top in a run dominated conference without good run blocking". He shut up and walked away.

I just don't get it. It's like some fans refuse to enjoy what we have.

Martinez will be loaded with offensive weapons for his Senior year. Should be fun. Wins over stats next season would make a better legacy, but hey, why not both?

He's exciting. And maddening.

One of the ESPN announcers said it best during one of our improbable comebacks: "Taylor Martinez has the unique ability to keep both teams in the game"

That's his legacy at the moment. There's a dig in there, but it's part of the package.

• Fire 1

I just don't get it. It's like some fans refuse to enjoy what we have.

Exactly. It's amazing listening to/reading posts from some Husker fans. They would clearly rather hate the team for what they aren't than love them for what they are. I've never understood that, but we see it every single day right here on HuskerBoard, and we're probably one of the more positive fan sites around. Cruise through some other sites and these guys are amazed when we win a game.

• Fire 1

It's only fitting that he won't be fully appreciated until he's gone, though. He has 15-16 more games to play in his career. It's premature to talk about his legacy when he still has 25% of it to create.

Let's appreciate the fact that he's our team's leader, the unquestioned MVP of the 2012 season thus far, and that he's engineered some pretty brilliant comebacks this year. Let's appreciate his hard work in the offseason, his dedication to the team in the face of frequent uncalled-for criticism from his own fans, and the fact that he's always represented Nebraska in the most positive light.

His legacy isn't written yet. It's being written, but it's by no means finished. Until it is, let's just enjoy having him on the team, as wonderful and frustrating as he is.

Knapp I totally agree. With over 25% of his career still un-played it is hard to judge how he will be viewed. Believe me, I appreciate the things he's done and have the utmost respect for the way he's carried himself and our program. I'm just saying that when you get lucky enough to find a player like Martinez he contributes more to a program than just a winning season. It can help set the foundation for bigger things to come.

He will own every record at NU for a QB. Many will say, "only because he started for 4 years". True, BUT look at a lot of single game records. He has the ability to change a game at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that the change is for the other team. The guy is a baller and has no quit in him. He stuck by the team and fans when most kids would have left. Kid is a winner. Glad he is here.

This reminds me a lot of J Lo at QB. Still one of my favorites. Seems like folks just like to bag on him instead of realizing what all he accomplished.

• Fire 1