Tim Beck interviewing for the UTEP job?

UTEP hired a Pittsburgh Steelers assistant as their HC today. So if Beck goes anywhere this year, it won't be El Paso.

Beck to Colorado!!!!!!!!

Nope, they hired the Colorado State coach I think. Not sure why he would want to take a step down like that....

It was the San Jose State coach, Mike MacIntyre (sp?). I had to check because I wondered the same thing. :)

These zone reads are what make me cringe. They are so "all or nothing"

IMO, you hit the nail on the head with just that. I've always preferred the old Big Ten offensive style (3 yards and a cloud of dust). Only I would sprinkle in more play action. When people complain about only picking up 3 yards on a run play, I always tell them, "You know, if you are guaranteed to gain 3 yards on every single play, you would be unstoppable. You have 4 plays to gain 10 or more yards." Of course that's not reality, but we've done it to plenty of people this year, and a few teams have done it to us: when a defense gets consistently run on, and can't make stops on 3rd down despite its best effort, it is demoralizing. It's a whole additional part of the game that doesn't necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

That was Nebraska's M.O. for years until Callahan got here: run the ball, be the more physical team, and wear down the opposing defense. By the 4th quarter you end up gashing the defense for big gains because they are mentally and physically exhausted.

But to do that, you have to have a physical rushing attack. At times, we have it, and other times, we don't. Our offensive line was probably the best run blocking line we have had in over a decade, and it's something that really went under the radar. We need to use that to our advantage during the bowl game, because in passing situations, our OT's really are the weakness of the offense, and are horrible in pass protection.

/end rant. Off to the gym.

So did you guys hate Tom Osborne's offense too? And sorry if I sound like an a$$ I'm really not trying to be one it's just an honest question. Rather it's a traditional option, zone read, or triple option you're leaving a guy unblocked and reading him. It's a big risk reward type thing but it's what Nebraska ran for years. If I can find an article I'll post it. A paper interviewed Dr. Tom when GT hired Paul Johnson to talk about the option before VT played them. The most interesting thing he said was that their plays were designed to get 8 yard per play. (or something along those lines) It wasn't all about 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Edit: found the article http://voices.washin...th_nebrask.html

Over the last few years, Osborne was going away from the triple option to using more of the speed option and power option look, where they get the fullback out on the perimiter. Probably because defenses were getting quicker and quicker. But I see where youre getting with this.

Also Shark, TO's offenses in the 90's were anything but 3 yards and a cloud of dust perception. We like to take pride in that but if you go back and re-watch them games from the glory year, the things that Osborne was doing offensively were so distinctive that it is comparable to what Oregon is doing these. By the time Frost came around, we were seeing spread sets being used with designe qb runs behind powers and traps. Tommie Frazier scored in the 96 Fiesta Bowl on a QB trap draw out of a 5 WR set from 30 yards out. Yes, we often pounded opponents into submission late in games, but it was usually after our multiplicity got the lead to begin with.

The other part is defense. We usually also had the defense to know that 20 points was probably going to be enough. In this offensive era of college football, that's not the case anymore. Most to all teams go into games knowing they have to get points on the board as early and often as they can, just in case. I believe this mindset does more harm than good for to me it really hampers that patience/it's a 60 minute game mindset. But I think our staff has done well at handling that because we've came back more late in games this year than any other.

There is also the comment from Urban Meyer where he said something along the lines of "All I'm doing is taking what Tom Osborne did, and inverting it" I don't have the exact quote handy but it was to the effect of giving a lot of the credit for his offense to what TO was doing in the 90's

These zone reads are what make me cringe. They are so "all or nothing"

IMO, you hit the nail on the head with just that. I've always preferred the old Big Ten offensive style (3 yards and a cloud of dust). Only I would sprinkle in more play action. When people complain about only picking up 3 yards on a run play, I always tell them, "You know, if you are guaranteed to gain 3 yards on every single play, you would be unstoppable. You have 4 plays to gain 10 or more yards." Of course that's not reality, but we've done it to plenty of people this year, and a few teams have done it to us: when a defense gets consistently run on, and can't make stops on 3rd down despite its best effort, it is demoralizing. It's a whole additional part of the game that doesn't necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

That was Nebraska's M.O. for years until Callahan got here: run the ball, be the more physical team, and wear down the opposing defense. By the 4th quarter you end up gashing the defense for big gains because they are mentally and physically exhausted.

But to do that, you have to have a physical rushing attack. At times, we have it, and other times, we don't. Our offensive line was probably the best run blocking line we have had in over a decade, and it's something that really went under the radar. We need to use that to our advantage during the bowl game, because in passing situations, our OT's really are the weakness of the offense, and are horrible in pass protection.

/end rant. Off to the gym.

So did you guys hate Tom Osborne's offense too? And sorry if I sound like an a$$ I'm really not trying to be one it's just an honest question. Rather it's a traditional option, zone read, or triple option you're leaving a guy unblocked and reading him. It's a big risk reward type thing but it's what Nebraska ran for years. If I can find an article I'll post it. A paper interviewed Dr. Tom when GT hired Paul Johnson to talk about the option before VT played them. The most interesting thing he said was that their plays were designed to get 8 yard per play. (or something along those lines) It wasn't all about 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Edit: found the article http://voices.washin...th_nebrask.html

Over the last few years, Osborne was going away from the triple option to using more of the speed option and power option look, where they get the fullback out on the perimiter. Probably because defenses were getting quicker and quicker. But I see where youre getting with this.

Also Shark, TO's offenses in the 90's were anything but 3 yards and a cloud of dust perception. We like to take pride in that but if you go back and re-watch them games from the glory year, the things that Osborne was doing offensively were so distinctive that it is comparable to what Oregon is doing these. By the time Frost came around, we were seeing spread sets being used with designe qb runs behind powers and traps. Tommie Frazier scored in the 96 Fiesta Bowl on a QB trap draw out of a 5 WR set from 30 yards out. Yes, we often pounded opponents into submission late in games, but it was usually after our multiplicity got the lead to begin with.

The other part is defense. We usually also had the defense to know that 20 points was probably going to be enough. In this offensive era of college football, that's not the case anymore. Most to all teams go into games knowing they have to get points on the board as early and often as they can, just in case. I believe this mindset does more harm than good for to me it really hampers that patience/it's a 60 minute game mindset. But I think our staff has done well at handling that because we've came back more late in games this year than any other.

There is also the comment from Urban Meyer where he said something along the lines of "All I'm doing is taking what Tom Osborne did, and inverting it" I don't have the exact quote handy but it was to the effect of giving a lot of the credit for his offense to what TO was doing in the 90's

Yes he does a lot of the same things, in a different way of course. He runs the same trap play Neb. did with a FB for years just he runs it with a RB out of the shotgun instead. I came across this a few years ago that explains some of his offense he ran at Utah. http://www.slideshare.net/tomneuman/urban-meyers-playbook#btnNext It has the F Trap as he called it. Then there's also a read option play off of it.

hasnt scott frosts name been thrown in the conversation before? if i remember correctly bo didnt lend out the invite because he hasnt filled bigger shoes other than position coach? was money a factor in him not coming also? not sure about exact details mind you

I believe it to be VERY unlikely Frost will be here if Bo is here. It may be best for both parties involved. Frost has a great gig and hopefully he gets an OC or HC job at a mid major in the next few seasons to cut his teeth. Unless Oregon promotes him if Kelly leaves. Either works out great for the huskers.

Also it can't have to do with experience...all you have to do is look at our current staff and see how little experience is needed to be a huske coach

If Beck is truly weighing a job at UTEP, it is time for Bo to bring out the checkbook quickly!!!!

The absolutely last thing this team, and especially Taylor Martinez, needs right now is a changeover on the offensive staff. The Huskers are in year two offensively, look at the difference from year one. This is the one area that might salvage an easier schedule next year if the new defensive talent doesn't come to fruition.

I understand people are frustrated with the environment of "on the job training". But, these coaches are gaining the experience. Let them use that experience here as long as it is helping the team. Why "hope" that a coach takes his "on the job training" somewhere else and leave Bo to hire another coach with limited experience to start the whole process over again.

Because their are a great many idiotic so called fans that have no clue what goes into a successful program. They try to compare it to running company and it's nothing like it. They have no clue about things like continuity and how they benefit a collegiate athletic program. One bad game and they want a slew of coaches to be fired. It's just simple stupidity. Then of course there's the lovely concept that "we fans DESERVE better" which is a complete crock of sh#t.

Yes, I'm grumpy today. That is all.

continuity is only a benefit if there is proven talent to maintain. otherwise it just becomes status quo - and people like you ride the rollercoaster wondering why nothing ever gets fixed. perhaps because nothing ever gets better (or conversely worse) without change. if you are content with the current state of the program then by all means, continue to campaign for the status quo - even call it continuity if you want. but it's not necessary to call out as idiots those that don't choose to ignore the last 5 years. I have no issue with Beck - but if every one of our coaches continues to take 3-4 years to finally reach a point where they are competent in their position we are going to be continually operating at 70% on this staff because of the hiring practices of our HC. we have enough disadvantages without always saying "so-and-so is only in their first or second year, give them time".

This statement would be right and I would agree had any but 2 coaches on this staff been here or had their current job for longer than just under 2 seasons. That's the point I'm trying to make. Some want coaching changes. Well, Bo's done that already. This whole staff is pretty much new. It does take some time. I just happen to feel it hasnt been enough and that if we get on this kick of firing any coaches after a 10 win (possibly 11-dont laugh) season, it will do more harm than good.

thats why I mentioned his hiring practices, and talent. he hires 3 year projects - and we always have 2-3 (30%) of them on the staff at any given time. right now 2 of his projects hold the most important positions on his staff. if he keeps the same staff, and keeps them together through the inevitable learning curves - the continuity argument will be a valid one 3-4 years from now when someone has a down year - or is looking to leave. But right now, trading out JP for Zook (100% hypothetical) is an upgrade. no other way to look at it. or firing Barney Cotton and hiring Pat Hill (again hypothetical - but possible from a $$ standpoint) is an upgrade. If you're going to turn over coaches like Bo does - you have to be bringing in talent. we know half this staff won't be here 3 years from now...it's obvious after 5 years that it's just not going to happen with Bo. So we can either accept & embrace that method, or fight it. But at the end of the day Beck is likely gone in a year or two - which means we trained yet another mid-level HC. are we building a Bill Walsh coaching tree or a D1 football program? We can't continue to do that and expect to be successful. no other way to look at it.

thats why I mentioned his hiring practices, and talent. he hires 3 year projects - and we always have 2-3 (30%) of them on the staff at any given time. right now 2 of his projects hold the most important positions on his staff. if he keeps the same staff, and keeps them together through the inevitable learning curves - the continuity argument will be a valid one 3-4 years from now when someone has a down year - or is looking to leave. But right now, trading out JP for Zook (100% hypothetical) is an upgrade. no other way to look at it. or firing Barney Cotton and hiring Pat Hill (again hypothetical - but possible from a $$ standpoint) is an upgrade. If you're going to turn over coaches like Bo does - you have to be bringing in talent. we know half this staff won't be here 3 years from now...it's obvious after 5 years that it's just not going to happen with Bo. So we can either accept & embrace that method, or fight it. But at the end of the day Beck is likely gone in a year or two - which means we trained yet another mid-level HC. are we building a Bill Walsh coaching tree or a D1 football program? We can't continue to do that and expect to be successful. no other way to look at it.

You're looking at it all the wrong way. The fact that so many of our assistants go on to get better jobs means that the ones that we have had (Sanders, Ekeler, Carl, etc.) are really good coaches. Other programs can see that, and they sweep in and snatch them up. For Carl, that wasn't the case because of his personal life, and Bo went out searching for a place to land his brother. But even Shawn friggin' Watson went to be Louisville's OC and has been pretty successful.

Once this ship gets headed in the right direction again and starts to show improvement, you can bet that Beck and JP will both be looked at by other programs for head coaching roles. It's just how the game goes.

But I get what you're saying, that we should be hiring higher qualified coaches for our assistants. And I agree. But if this is how Bo wants to run the team, then I hope it works or there will be a lot of unhappy people.

You're looking at it all the wrong way. The fact that so many of our assistants go on to get better jobs means that the ones that we have had (Sanders, Ekeler, Carl, etc.) are really good coaches. Other programs can see that, and they sweep in and snatch them up. For Carl, that wasn't the case because of his personal life, and Bo went out searching for a place to land his brother. But even Shawn friggin' Watson went to be Louisville's OC and has been pretty successful.

Once this ship gets headed in the right direction again and starts to show improvement, you can bet that Beck and JP will both be looked at by other programs for head coaching roles. It's just how the game goes.

But I get what you're saying, that we should be hiring higher qualified coaches for our assistants. And I agree. But if this is how Bo wants to run the team, then I hope it works or there will be a lot of unhappy people.

I agree with you. Dont take this the wrong way. I had to chuckle at this. Our 10 win, and 3 CCG appearence ship needs righted. Vintage husker fan. I like it.

KC-my hopes are probably just a little naive. I dont really see the benefit in getting a big name coordinator to come in, organize an awesome defense for a year or two, and then bolt for another HC job somewhere, only to put us right back in that same situation. I like what Bo has done with his staff. Yes, it may hiring buddies that he's very familiar with, and has coached with in the past, but I like how he's really pushing the family atmosphere type thing. It may take some time, but when it all works out, everyone will commend the methods.

Tom Osborne was a first time HC. Solich was a first time HC. Callahan was not. Bo is. Now, it's really not easy to make this call, becuase Tom Osborne's tenure took up so much of this modern era, but to say Nebraska is or is NOT a training ground for coaches is a bit of a stretch either way in my opinion. I personally would rather see long term continuity resulting from young guys getting the chance and hopefully remaining loyal to Bo and the program rather than taking just as much chance on some big name-whom we have no proof that would fit with Bo's philosophies or his methods-only to dart for greener pastures the minute any sort of success of obtained.

Maybe - I guess I'm looking at it from a Nebraska standpoint. Nebraska doesn't benefit if some highly qualified, talented, and trained coach leaves. I don't care if they are a good coach - they aren't here. Doesn't benefit us at all. In fact some are now going to be coaching against us. (while maybe "snatched" - Sanders wasn't "snatched up" in the sense that you mentioned)

Accountability: I've resigned to the fact that Bo is going to turn this staff over frequently. (as are most coaches in the modern era) It's been done through promotions and not firings which is positive (for the coaches) - but regardless, we're turning the staff over every 3-4 years right now. While we may have a history if training HCs as you mentioned...we certainly have never had a problem with continuity like Bo seems to. And Tom had been on the staff for what, 20 years...Solich for 19? Not exactly "training" at that point.

In 97' this was the years on the Nebraska staff for our assistants: 21, 6, 6, 11, 15, 24, 1, 25, 19, 29. That's not a "training ground" for better positions. Those days are over. We won't have someone on staff for 25 years with the way things are going. We'll be lucky to have a good coach on staff for 5 years. So if we are going to only get a few years out of them....why waste the first 2 training them? get someone in there that is gone in 2 years but produces at 100% the entire time they are here.

hasnt scott frosts name been thrown in the conversation before? if i remember correctly bo didnt lend out the invite because he hasnt filled bigger shoes other than position coach? was money a factor in him not coming also? not sure about exact details mind you

If people bi*ch about our offense now I can't wait to see how much they would complain if we ran the Oregon offense.

If people bi*ch about our offense now I can't wait to see how much they would complain if we ran the Oregon offense.

no one would bitch about our offense if they scored like Oregon.