Best assessment yet

krc1995

The main point I'm really buying into is Bo needs to realize this university is not a training ground for coaches. It's really become that way and it's not debatable. Too much youth and inexperience on this staff. That combined with a young first time HC is just not good. I think Bo needs to hand over the reigns to some older, more experienced assistants, guys who are going to bring their own lessons to the table. Box needs to trust his staff and allow them to do their jobs while he does his. Right now I don't think papuchis has the experience or the balls to question Bo or give any input.

Two questions from the game I'd love to have answered. Did we really not call a single time out in the first half on defense? If not, why? Two, why did we open the game throwing the ball? Do we think that pick 6 to open the game had anything to do with the defenses performance?

There is really no training to be a head coach and I don't think anyone can predict who will be a good just based on how good they are at the coordinator position. Did we really expect there to be no warts and that Bo was going to walk in as the perfect HC with no HC experience and really not that much experience at the college level and win championships? How many current top coaches are at their first head coaching school? Most get seasoned and move on. Bob Stoops is one exception, but even he served as an assistant head coach at Florida. It will also be interesting to watch Muschamp and his progression.

And this isn't Iowa State or some sunbelt team. This is a school that has been at the pinnacle and have high, if slightly unrealistic, expectations. With that comes intense pressure. I do think Bo needs some sort of mentor and I am skeptical if Eichorst is it. I don't really know about the relationship between Bo and Tom. That would be a logical mentorship, but I just don't know how well the two connect on a personal level.

I thought this was potentially the most telling section of McKewon's article...

» Bo must know that his offense was one Taylor Martinez injury away from total meltdown, and that Martinez's ability to make big plays and somehow avoid that big injury was a considerable stroke of fortune. Martinez is mercurial like March weather in Minden, but the position outside of his presence is a Siberian winter.

Nebraska's signed seven quarterbacks since Pelini arrived. One blew out both knees and retired, another won a conference title for Tulsa on Saturday, two switched positions, one's playing pro baseball, one is redshirting and one is Martinez, who pays for his own quarterbacks coach in the summer and works with a 26-year-old graduate assistant during the season.

The kid's dogged, stubborn and loose with the ball. But offensive coordinator Tim Beck — whom I like, who easily deserves another year — doesn't have any backups to push Martinez, or a dedicated, paid position coach to groom him. Does Beck have the freedom to make the staffing decisions he wants and shape the offense how he pleases?

We all saw how terrible RKIII was against the lowly Gophers. How awful would it be to see Martinez go down in the bowl game, off-season or at any time during his Sr. year? We would be absolutely sunk. I dislike QB controversies, but there is no doubt we are incredibly shallow at that position. I would certainly say we are more shallow at QB than Michigan sans Gardner. And it is a miracle (especially after tackles like Borland made) that Martinez has not gone down to injury this year.

This is the biggest issue, it is year 5 and we are FINALLY starting to see some depth at the skill positions ie RB and WR. Look at the DL and OL, none that really have experience. QB-0, Kicker/punter-o, LB-0, safety-0, TE-0, Not saying guys haven't played, but you are all delusional thinking we have and/are developing quality back ups across the board. Guys really get time when guys get injured. Bama, 3 backs with over 100 yrds against GA, look at the Domers use of multiple backs, Wisky etc.... Why don't we? We do not put a priority on getting guys "ready" to play until it is injury time ie David in 2010......

We also have approximately 20+ guys on schollie for the OL. Why are 3 walkons staring? Why is our starting center (was starting) a converted DL? How does this happen. We have done and are doing a really crappy job of recruiting or developing kids. It sucks. Needs to change.

Regarding getting someone to help, what about co-DC in Monte and Co-OL coach in Milt? Hell bring in McBride. Bo took this job with little experience as it relates to a HC ie none. He promoted a guy to DC 4 years removed from a GA. INsane IMO. Same with Beck as OC. Future is bright for both per the talking heads, but both are woefully ill equipped to drive this ship without some guidance. Same with Pelini. You don't learn on the job while playing the likes of OSU, Michicken, MSU, PSU, Wisky etc.... Look at their HC's experience. It is telling. The games we have lost, IMO, we not do to talent deficiencies, but coaching issues. UCLA and our pass attack instead of running. D melt down against OSU and Wisky this year. Leading the nation in fumbles for 3 years in a row. You can't win dick when approximately 46% of our opponents points came from our fumbles. NOt INT's, but fumbles. Again, coaches learning on the job have a hard time trying to teach kids. Imagine a brand new guy at your current job trying to teach you how to do yours. It doesn't work in the corporate world, military or gov't. Why would we expect it to work here?

Firing Bo isn't the answer. Firing a 10-3 coach kind of sinks recruiting efforts and good luck getting a splash hire ie think Cally. Firing the staff would help, IMO, but then who does Bo hire? Does he go after guys smarter and more experienced than himself? Does NU even come off the money. Look at Clemson hiring Venables (sp) away from Stoops. I never saw that coming, but money talks. If firing is not an option then the AD needs to explain expectations to Bo. Losing is part of life. getting curb stomped by two teams this year and two last year isn't getting it done. Losing this year to a 7-5 team with a 3rd string QB and only one game plan, run the ball, allowing over 500 yrds on the ground is not getting it done. Tell him, no firing, than I expect hiring of some consultants. Maybe we lose a position coach or paid GA. Maybe fire Cotton and hire Milt, etc..... Obviously there is something broke with this team and if Bo can't fix it or identify the problem then the AD needs to. If you keep Els, relieve him of duties. Make Fish or Brown the ST coach. Their guys can catch, hit, tackle and block.

Also think about hiring a person outside NU to review film in the off season. Hot wash, dirt dive the season. Look at the good bad and the ugly. Tell Bo and the staff where they screwed the proverbial pooch. What WILL be fixed. If not with the program, guys can hit the road.

• Fire 2

e also have approximately 20+ guys on schollie for the OL. Why are 3 walkons staring? Why is our starting center (was starting) a converted DL? How does this happen. We have done and are doing a really crappy job of recruiting or developing kids. It sucks. Needs to change.

+1

True,

I have been saying those things for three years. He needs help, he has proven he can not do it alone. I had hoped Coach Osborne would help him in some way. We need people that have been involved with the college game, know their responsibilites and know how to recruit. If this does not happen this year, he is gone.

Our recruiting is going to go in the tank with another blow out loss this year. The bowl game has to be respectable.

True,

I have been saying those things for three years. He needs help, he has proven he can not do it alone. I had hoped Coach Osborne would help him in some way. We need people that have been involved with the college game, know their responsibilites and know how to recruit. If this does not happen this year, he is gone.

Our recruiting is going to go in the tank with another blow out loss this year. The bowl game has to be respectable.

at the heart of it is we just don't have the athletes

True,

I think that's only partly true.

I think there's some great talent in the underclassman ranks. Upperclassman? Not so much.

So the 500lb elephant as to why they can't see the field is really getting curious.

True,

I think that's only partly true.

I think there's some great talent in the underclassman ranks. Upperclassman? Not so much.

So the 500lb elephant as to why they can't see the field is really getting curious.

I hope this to be true, but how do you know we have better athletes waiting in the wings? Rival stars, class ranking? I can only judge by what I see

snapback.pngGuy Chamberlin, on 03 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hmmmm. Monte Kiffin just became available.

his defenses at USC were not very good

No offense, but how old are you? Monte Kiffin with his own son as boss is not the same as Monte Kiffin at Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and the Nebraska national championship teams.

You did hear that Kiffin say he IS going back to the NFL, not "I will if I can find a job." Do yourself a favor and go wikipedia or google him.

The main point I'm really buying into is Bo needs to realize this university is not a training ground for coaches. It's really become that way and it's not debatable. Too much youth and inexperience on this staff. That combined with a young first time HC is just not good. I think Bo needs to hand over the reigns to some older, more experienced assistants, guys who are going to bring their own lessons to the table. Box needs to trust his staff and allow them to do their jobs while he does his. Right now I don't think papuchis has the experience or the balls to question Bo or give any input.

Two questions from the game I'd love to have answered. Did we really not call a single time out in the first half on defense? If not, why? Two, why did we open the game throwing the ball? Do we think that pick 6 to open the game had anything to do with the defenses performance?

yet another stupid f'ing post. your right he has no idea. you should put your name in for OC/DC. :leghump: