Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

We beat some less that stellar teams barely, a win is a win I know. But thinking the blow outs are not pivitol is beyond belief. It shows little progress, displaying a level even worse than what Clownahan did. They can not continue, there is no reason for them to. Other than poor recruiting, lack of coaching ability or a lack of desire. Two this year and I believe two last year. A National Championship coach was fired within two years, a lot worse showing than ours, but ours could have very easily been close. That does not instill confidence.

Either way, I hope we get it together, Bo figures it out and he stays a long time. I am just saying it is not as peachy as some think, and I am pretty sure he is feeling the preasure. I truly hope he wins the ones he should next year, and displays the ability to play with elite level teams. I think the nation will figure Wisconsin is close to elite again after the Rose Bowl. Ohio State is.

He did that this year.

Gotta disagree on this one. We should have beaten both UCLA and Wisconsin (CCG).

Last year, we had 4 losses (Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern in conference play, SC in the bowl). 3 of those were blowout losses, and the other was an upset AT HOME against a far inferior opponent.

This year, we have lost 3 games (UCLA, Ohio State, Wisconsin). 2 of them were blowouts, and all 3 were absolutely embarrassing performances by the defense.

I still am a Bo supporter, and I think better days to come. I attribute the bad defensive play this year mostly to lack of personnel at DL and LB. With that said, these last 7 losses that we have had are totally unacceptable. Getting embarrassed like that cannot continue to happen. If we were to lose by 5 or less instead of 30-40, it would be a lot better, and I realize that we would still probably bitch about the same amount about it, but at least it wouldn't be a total embarrassment. It's time to start getting it done on the field and eliminate the mistakes that have killed us recently (fumbles, penalties, etc.).

Perfectly said

We beat some less that stellar teams barely, a win is a win I know. But thinking the blow outs are not pivitol is beyond belief. It shows little progress, displaying a level even worse than what Clownahan did. They can not continue, there is no reason for them to. Other than poor recruiting, lack of coaching ability or a lack of desire. Two this year and I believe two last year. A National Championship coach was fired within two years, a lot worse showing than ours, but ours could have very easily been close. That does not instill confidence.

Either way, I hope we get it together, Bo figures it out and he stays a long time. I am just saying it is not as peachy as some think, and I am pretty sure he is feeling the preasure. I truly hope he wins the ones he should next year, and displays the ability to play with elite level teams. I think the nation will figure Wisconsin is close to elite again after the Rose Bowl. Ohio State is.

He did that this year.

Gotta disagree on this one. We should have beaten both UCLA and Wisconsin (CCG).

Last year, we had 4 losses (Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern in conference play, SC in the bowl). 3 of those were blowout losses, and the other was an upset AT HOME against a far inferior opponent.

This year, we have lost 3 games (UCLA, Ohio State, Wisconsin). 2 of them were blowouts, and all 3 were absolutely embarrassing performances by the defense.

I still am a Bo supporter, and I think better days to come. I attribute the bad defensive play this year mostly to lack of personnel at DL and LB. With that said, these last 7 losses that we have had are totally unacceptable. Getting embarrassed like that cannot continue to happen. If we were to lose by 5 or less instead of 30-40, it would be a lot better, and I realize that we would still probably bitch about the same amount about it, but at least it wouldn't be a total embarrassment. It's time to start getting it done on the field and eliminate the mistakes that have killed us recently (fumbles, penalties, etc.).

Perfectly said

So you are saying that since we are Nebraska, we should beat anyone? Do you think other teams are saying the same thing. So we should be 12-1 right now? I can understand the frustration of loosing and loosing big, but to think that we are all that, doesn't seem logical.

This isn't 1995 anymore.

I do agree that losing by 30-40, is not acceptable. Not on any stage.

He did that this year.

Perfectly said

So you are saying that since we are Nebraska, we should beat anyone? Do you think other teams are saying the same thing. So we should be 12-1 right now? I can understand the frustration of loosing and loosing big, but to think that we are all that, doesn't seem logical.

This isn't 1995 anymore.

I would say it has more to do with how we lose. When we play a good solid team we get manhandled the last two seasons. Not only beat but often embarrassed. That isn't Nebraska Football. Will we lose games? Most definitely everyone does in this day and age. However if we want to be relevant nationally we need to compete and not get embarrassed. A few more of those 30-40 pt losses and we continue to slide back. These last two seasons feel like Solichs last year some what. We win what we should but can't hold a candle to some teams. Just my opinion

Well according to most on here he would destroy UCLA and most likely should have as Mora was a first year coach. You neglected the second part of the sentence, no comment seems about right.

True, though there were a few reasonable folks on the board that realized that Neuweasel did successfully stock the shelves at UCLA, and that Mora was more than a capable coach. Add a lack of film on Mora (the Rice game didn't matter), and it added up to something that a newish OC and new DC would have definite problems working around.

Given that many of those kids were underclassmen on the UCLA team, the 2013 game in Lincoln could be a dicey affair...or it could be a prime opportunity for Bo and Co to show the fans they can learn from mistakes.

If Bo were to leave tomorrow I would actually be curious if the roster talent would be worse than what Callahan did when he got canned. Looking at recruiting classes etc it would appear Bo took over a talented roster. Would the hypothetical new coach have the same amount of talent Bo did when he took over?

I'm not saying I believe or do not believe this. Just curious on others thoughts?

We're better stocked on offense- better recievers, better backs- equal, maybe a little worse in the o line and QB, well we know what "stars" did for callahan at QB, other than a JC recruit callahan missed on all his QB's and left a lowly 3 star sitting on the bench untill he had no choice- as far as defense goes the only thing that callahan (blake) did was bring in Suh- Bo has been very unlucky with injuries on the defensive line.

Over-all i'd say a new coach would be in pretty good shape, but if the mom's basement crowd would JSTFU and play their video games, we wouldn't be talking about any of this

yeah, Pierre Allen, Phillip Dillard, Barry Turner, Zack Potter, Zach Bowman, Larry Asante, Ricky Thenerse, Jared Crick, Eric Hagg, Baker Steinkuhler, Cameron Meredith, and Prince Amukamara were all washouts recruited by Callahan that never amounted to crap (sarcasm)

Not sure what you're trying to say, KC. Some of those were Pelini recruits, and your leaving out the likes of Dennard and David (Pelini recruits). Also, a good argument can be made that some of those names were only good because of Pelini, looking at their NFL careers, or lack thereof...

None of these were Bo recruits. All recruited/committed prior to Pelini's hiring. And I obviously left out Dennard/David because the poster above was talking about how Callahan couldn't recruit defense. And you can argue that they were only good beause of Pelini, but we'll never know because most of these were still underclassman under Callahan...so were you expecting them to be performing at the level they ended up performing at under Pelini? Does Pelini have many underclassman that are at that level? Nope.

I'm curious, how often do negative stories about Bo appear in the press outside the state of Nebraska, especially in our major recruiting areas, California, Texas, and Ohio, to name a few? Seems like what they'll typically see will be talking more about the state of affairs at Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, Ohio State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford, etc...not about Nebraska.

Furthermore, skersfan, how many different people do you talk to outside of the state of Nebraska on a daily basis? Because if this is the same group of people, do they really represent the majority? Also, how much impact do their words have? Are they just internet posters like you and I are here, or are they people in positions of influence who could potentially sway opinion?

At the end of the day when it comes to recruits, it doesn't really matter what the media thinks or what the fans think, the decision to play for Nebraska comes from the recruit himself. And although he could be influenced by the media, it is up to him how much he lets that sway him.

Your'e assuming Bo can get himself in the front door of the recruits home, or convince the recruit to come see Nebraska in the first place. If they can do that, then they can see the real Nebraska. The problem is, if the negativity around the program continues, the embarrassments continue - the number (and more importantly quality) of front doors that will open to our staff are greatly reduced.

I was sitting at the bar last night in KC (a Husker bar by the way) - and I was talking to the owner (big Husker fan obviously). After the owner left the guy next to me leans over and the convo goes like this

Him: "you still got that gum chewing coach that yells all the time?"

Me: [rolled eyes] "yup, still there"

Him: "they going to keep him after that embarassment"

Me: "you mean the championship game? I think he'll probably be around for quite a while, and we've got a pretty easy schedule next year so he'll have a chance to make a run"

Him: "that was pretty bad though, doesn't seem like Nebraska"

Me: "no, but not much seems like Nebraska anymore"

Him: "well, I'd say at least it's basketball season...but that doesn't really work out too well or you guys either".

This is the typical conversation that I have to endure a couple times a week. How many do you people in Nebraska have to go through like this? I doubt many.

I am not sure he has gotten worse, or has been used in other than perfect situations. That is due to the lack of depth/injuries/bodies on the team. Puts some kids in bad situations. Falls back on the first year of recruiting I guess, or at least that is what I am hoping.

I am not sure he has gotten worse, or has been used in other than perfect situations. That is due to the lack of depth/injuries/bodies on the team. Puts some kids in bad situations. Falls back on the first year of recruiting I guess, or at least that is what I am hoping.

I factor it to all the bad weight he has put on. He is not nearly as good of a DE as he was 2 seasons ago.

He did that this year.

Perfectly said

This isn't 1995 anymore.

I think it is reasonable to expect NU to have 0 or 1 loss in a season at least once every 4 years.

I'm curious, how often do negative stories about Bo appear in the press outside the state of Nebraska, especially in our major recruiting areas, California, Texas, and Ohio, to name a few? Seems like what they'll typically see will be talking more about the state of affairs at Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, Ohio State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford, etc...not about Nebraska.

Furthermore, skersfan, how many different people do you talk to outside of the state of Nebraska on a daily basis? Because if this is the same group of people, do they really represent the majority? Also, how much impact do their words have? Are they just internet posters like you and I are here, or are they people in positions of influence who could potentially sway opinion?

At the end of the day when it comes to recruits, it doesn't really matter what the media thinks or what the fans think, the decision to play for Nebraska comes from the recruit himself. And although he could be influenced by the media, it is up to him how much he lets that sway him.

Your'e assuming Bo can get himself in the front door of the recruits home, or convince the recruit to come see Nebraska in the first place. If they can do that, then they can see the real Nebraska. The problem is, if the negativity around the program continues, the embarrassments continue - the number (and more importantly quality) of front doors that will open to our staff are greatly reduced.

I was sitting at the bar last night in KC (a Husker bar by the way) - and I was talking to the owner (big Husker fan obviously). After the owner left the guy next to me leans over and the convo goes like this

Him: "you still got that gum chewing coach that yells all the time?"

Me: [rolled eyes] "yup, still there"

Him: "they going to keep him after that embarassment"

Me: "you mean the championship game? I think he'll probably be around for quite a while, and we've got a pretty easy schedule next year so he'll have a chance to make a run"

Him: "that was pretty bad though, doesn't seem like Nebraska"

Me: "no, but not much seems like Nebraska anymore"

Him: "well, I'd say at least it's basketball season...but that doesn't really work out too well or you guys either".

This is the typical conversation that I have to endure a couple times a week. How many do you people in Nebraska have to go through like this? I doubt many.

I have lived in Michigan since 1994, and I have given more than my share of grief to Michigan fans. We used to have fun arguments about our teams, but now the Michigan fans feel sorry for NU. They say things like "I though I would never see Nebraska give up 70 points" and "Its too bad Nebraska got blown out again, don't worry, they will be back in a couple of years".

This really hurts. Nebraska has turned the corner from a feared and respected team to a team you feel sorry for.

I agree that it is on Bo, but there were situations that caused it. Clownahan was good recruiter, sold the NFL, not Nebraska. Some kids were disenchanted instantly, by his leaving, some left or never signed. Bo was scrambling just like any other coach in the same situation. His recruiting the first and second year left a lot to be desired. The last two have been better, and I think about as good as Nebraska can expect. We are not going to beat, Bama, Oklahoma, Oregon, SC, Georgia, Texas and a host of others. We have to hope he gets kids with an attitude, that want to prove something. Kids that lived in the other area and were passed by.

If after this year, we do not see the young kids playing on defense, we will have major problems. He has to get the talent on the field, modify his schemes to get the talent out there no matter the class. I would have much preferred we burned some red shirts this year, to get them experience, next year on defense we basically start over. I have no idea how that is going to turn out. But normally not good.