Gun Control

Roark

Hillary clinton spreading FUD:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/politics/2014/06/17/tsr-amanpour-clinton-town-hall-gun-laws.cnn.html

I agree with her regarding BG checks, but the "automatic weapons" talk is such BS.

Get ready for the next run on AR sales and ammunition hoarding . . . some people never learn. :P

And that's why it pays to build your own and reload your own.

IIRC when Obama was first elected even reloading components were practically unavailable.

That is correct. It pays to stay a few steps ahead of the Fed. ;)

Edit: And stockpile (that should make a few heads explode)!

Hillary clinton spreading FUD:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/politics/2014/06/17/tsr-amanpour-clinton-town-hall-gun-laws.cnn.html

I agree with her regarding BG checks, but the "automatic weapons" talk is such BS.

Get ready for the next run on AR sales and ammunition hoarding . . . some people never learn. :P

I seriously need to buy one before the next run on stuff. It's just hard to figure out what to get.

What are you looking to do with it? Range plinker, hunting, home defense? What are you looking to spend?

IIRC when Obama was first elected even reloading components were practically unavailable.

Except those panicked people were . . . well . . . totally wrong.

Except those panicked people were . . . well . . . totally wrong.

Agree. There are more than a handful of manufacturers with whom I will never do business with again simply for trying to gouge the customer during the latest "scare." Having said that, I'm absolutely convinced that the Dems won't stop until they have disarmed us all. Now, am I going to lose my sh#t and run out into the streets screaming "from my cold dead hands?" No, I'm not one of those guys. I am, however, a realist and I believe in being prepared for any eventuality. I've got that pretty well covered.

For those of you whom support a ban on "assault weapons" please explain to me exactly what an assault weapon is. I asked this question last week and it was conveniently ignored.

Here, I'll help you out. Explain to me, in progression, what the functional differences between these rifles are:

awb_zps28326fd5.png

For those of you whom support a ban on "assault weapons" please explain to me exactly what an assault weapon is. I asked this question last week and it was conveniently ignored.

Here, I'll help you out. Explain to me, in progression, what the functional differences between these rifles are:

awb_zps28326fd5.png

Magazine capacity between 1 and 2-4.

#4 is probably more concealable (depending mostly on whether that is actually a folding stock).

I'd argue that none of them are very good hunting rifles even though I shot more than a few coyotes with one.

Wishful Gun Control Law:

Only single-shot bolt action rifle. No magazines. Real hunter challenge. Anything else like semi-automatic, AR-15, Bushmaster, etc. will be illegal and/or volunteer turn-in illegal firearms, past or present owners .... perhaps 30 day grace time. If caught, mandatory jail time including "abiding citizens". Sorry gun-lover owners.

And legal handguns .... only revolvers.

Still light laws compared to civilized countries gun controls.

Wishful Gun Control Law:

Only single-shot bolt action rifle. No magazines. Real hunter challenge. Anything else like semi-automatic, AR-15, Bushmaster, etc. will be illegal and/or volunteer turn-in illegal firearms, past or present owners .... perhaps 30 day grace time. If caught, mandatory jail time including "abiding citizens". Sorry gun-lover owners.

So, only the powerful can have power.

That seems like a great idea. What could go wrong?

awb_zps28326fd5.png

Magazine capacity between 1 and 2-4.

#4 is probably more concealable (depending mostly on whether that is actually a folding stock).

I'd argue that none of them are very good hunting rifles even though I shot more than a few coyotes with one.

I should have been more clear. Is the functionality of the action any different in any of the above weapons? #1 can hold only one round because no magazine is inserted but I know of magazines in a capacity of up to 30 being produced for this weapon. #4 actually has a sliding stock and those can vary but I don;t think enough to easily conceal the weapon.

A couple more questions, if you would, please. Do you know the definition of an assault rifle? Not what the media wants everyone to think about the big, bad scary black guns but a true assault rifle. Do you support an assault rifle ban?

To be clear, none of thte weapons platforms above are assault rifles but I'm genuinely curious as to what others here believe the definition of assault rifle, to be. When it comes to gun control, misinformation is the name of the game.

Wishful Gun Control Law:

So, you're advocating prison time for me for exercising my second ammendment rights? Are you serious? Here's how it works:

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" or a genuine "compromise".

You and people like you are a threat to my rights and liberties.

So yeah, f#ck that.

Is the functionality of the action any different in any of the above weapons?

Yes.

#1 can hold only one round because no magazine is inserted but I know of magazines in a capacity of up to 30 being produced for this weapon.

I doubt that is correct. It's more likely that it has the factory 5rnd magazine. It sits (if I remember that POS correctly) flush with the bottom of the stock.

#4 actually has a sliding stock and those can vary but I don;t think enough to easily conceal the weapon.

I'm not familiar with that exact brand/model of stock. (That's why I included the parenthetical wondering if it's actually folding.) I can tell that it's sliding, but the bulge near the receiver looks pretty similar to the spring/hinge mechanism on the folding stocks. Are you sure that it's just sliding?

A couple more questions, if you would, please. Do you know the definition of an assault rifle? Not what the media wants everyone to think about the big, bad scary black guns but a true assault rifle. Do you support an assault rifle ban?

To be clear, none of thte weapons platforms above are assault rifles but I'm genuinely curious as to what others here believe the definition of assault rifle, to be. When it comes to gun control, misinformation is the name of the game.

Speaking of misinformation . . . sometimes it's a little closer than you think. *cough* *cough*

In 2009, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 66.9% of all homicides in the United States were perpetrated using a firearm.

http://en.wikipedia....tes#cite_note-4

http://www.washingto...eloped-country/

firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

Apples and oranges. Many of those countries have what amounts to outright gun bans.

Yet both fruits. Fact is the fact.

How do we know that graph is factually correct?