Gun Control

Roark

Guns that are purchased right now over the interenet....are they completely legal transactions?

There's only one legal way to "buy a gun over the internet." You have to place an order to a firearms dealer, and have it shipped to another firearms dealer. No exceptions, no loopholes. What Someone (incorrectly) asserts as buying a gun online with no background check, is two people who meet up online, meeting in person, and completing a transaction. That's legal as of today. It's also a point of the proposed Background check laws. I think it's something we could have tightened up for sure. The problem is, nobody can say how much it's going to affect crime, because these sales are all undocumented, and we're assuming that both parties will involve an FFL, resulting in a denied transfer.

Guns that are purchased right now over the interenet....are they completely legal transactions?

There's only one legal way to "buy a gun over the internet." You have to place an order to a firearms dealer, and have it shipped to another firearms dealer. No exceptions, no loopholes. What Someone (incorrectly) asserts as buying a gun online with no background check, is two people who meet up online, meeting in person, and completing a transaction. That's legal as of today. It's also a point of the proposed Background check laws. I think it's something we could have tightened up for sure. The problem is, nobody can say how much it's going to affect crime, because these sales are all undocumented, and we're assuming that both parties will involve an FFL, resulting in a denied transfer.

And, that is my point.

What new law is going to prevent that from happening still? No matter what new laws are passed for back ground checks, there will still be private transactions between two people where they don't do a back ground check. If my buddy has a shot gun that he wants to sell to me, I doubt very heavily if we go find a dealer to do a back ground check on me. Or, if my brother wants to give my son a 410 for his birthday, I doubt if he would then take him to have a back ground check done.

I support back ground checks but so much of this debate is emotionally politically motivated and some people either are choosing to ignore practicality or don't care.

I think I may have mentioned this before on here several pages back but since this is continuing, I thought I would bring it up again and beat my own war drum.

I do not claim to know what the right answer is in regards to what if any guns, ammunition, magazines should or should not be illegal. And I am not sure how effective arming teachers is, either.

What I do know is that NONE of these ideas matter yet because we as a society have not figured out how to eliminate surprise attacks. If the events in Boston proved anything once again is that if no one sees something coming beforehand, people who want to kill will continue to do it to the best of their abilities.

What I do know is that NONE of these ideas matter yet because we as a society have not figured out how to eliminate surprise attacks. If the events in Boston proved anything once again is that if no one sees something coming beforehand, people who want to kill will continue to do it to the best of their abilities.

the only way to stop a bad guy with a bomb is a good guy with a bomb?

edit: this was just a joke response. not an indictment of your ideas, which i enjoyed.

I think I may have mentioned this before on here several pages back but since this is continuing, I thought I would bring it up again and beat my own war drum.

I do not claim to know what the right answer is in regards to what if any guns, ammunition, magazines should or should not be illegal. And I am not sure how effective arming teachers is, either.

Though we try to make it as difficult as possible to do so. Making homemade bombs is illegal, though given the logic of some on the side against gun control, it shouldn't be since we can't stop it anyway.

What Someone (incorrectly) asserts as buying a gun online with no background check, is two people who meet up online, meeting in person, and completing a transaction. ... nobody can say how much it's going to affect crime, because these sales are all undocumented, and we're assuming that both parties will involve an FFL, resulting in a denied transfer.

The New York Times, FoxNews, the Senate, the Rebublican leadership in Washington and the NRA all refer to using the internet to advertise to buy or sale a gun as internet sales or on-line sales.

We do know that criminals find guns to buy via the internet. We do know that these site facilitate transfers that are done on the honor system and far easier to cheat than buying a gun from a FFL. We do know that people get killed with the weapons that are sold this way.

What stops a FFL dealer from selling weapons to felons? Are we to assume that the FFL dealer will follow the law? In fact, while there are exceptions, the vast majority of FFL dealers do follow the law. The risk and penalties for not following the law are great enough for them to be compelled to do the required background checks.

Today, it's harder to buy sudefed than a hand gun. Both should be items that can be obtained, while at the same time we should take reasonable precautions to prevent people who should have access to these items.

the only way to stop a bad guy with a bomb is a good guy with a bomb?

edit: this was just a joke response. not an indictment of your ideas, which i enjoyed.

You might be right in this assessment but the point I was making is that you could have 100 good guys with bombs, but if no one notices the bad guy with the bomb until it's too late, it didn't matter.

Take the shooting at the theatre during the Batman movie. What if everyone in that theatre were armed? The killer came in from a side exit. People in the seats thought it was part of the show so they were caught off guard. He may not have been able to kill/injure as many people as he did because the audience would have lit him up but there still would have been the tragedy of death nonetheless.

What Someone (incorrectly) asserts as buying a gun online with no background check, is two people who meet up online, meeting in person, and completing a transaction. ... nobody can say how much it's going to affect crime, because these sales are all undocumented, and we're assuming that both parties will involve an FFL, resulting in a denied transfer.

The New York Times, FoxNews, the Senate, the Rebublican leadership in Washington and the NRA all refer to using the internet to advertise to buy or sale a gun as internet sales or on-line sales.

We do know that criminals find guns to buy via the internet. We do know that these site facilitate transfers that are done on the honor system and far easier to cheat than buying a gun from a FFL. We do know that people get killed with the weapons that are sold this way.

What stops a FFL dealer from selling weapons to felons? Are we to assume that the FFL dealer will follow the law? In fact, while there are exceptions, the vast majority of FFL dealers do follow the law. The risk and penalties for not following the law are great enough for them to be compelled to do the required background checks.

Today, it's harder to buy sudefed than a hand gun. (lolno) Both should be items that can be obtained, while at the same time we should take reasonable precautions to prevent people who should have access to these items.

I'm really not sure why you're continuing to argue this. You're wrong. The NYT, Fox, etc... accordng to the ATF, they're all wrong, which is all that matters. Also, you're beating a drum and trying to convince me of something I already agree with. I've given out specific solutions, you just keep posting vagaries.

Today, it's harder to buy sudefed than a hand gun. Both should be items that can be obtained, while at the same time we should take reasonable precautions to prevent people who should have access to these items.

I don't know where in the wide world of sports you got that info from, but not even close. Buying a handgun requires a permit, background check, and the dealer is not required to sell you a gun.

I don't know where in the wide world of sports you got that info from, but not even close. Buying a handgun requires a permit, background check, and the dealer is not required to sell you a gun.

He's saying that you could buy it from an individual. While technically true, you can do the same with sudafed, or any other drug.